PDA

View Full Version : Just started on Cipralex - any Info/advice

northernmonkey
12-10-06, 16:27
Hi,

Sorry if what i am asking has been posted before but i can't quite find what i was looking for.

I have just started taking cipralex (Escitalopram) (think its called lexapro in America). Currently taken a tablet a day over the last 4 days of 5 mg in strength and go up to 10mg in 3 days.

I take the tablets at night time just before bed (as recommended by my doctor) I am waking up feeling absolutly exhausted/fatigued, i am yawning all the time and sleeping very lightly.

The main thing that is worrying me slightly is the weird feeling in my head. It is a bit hard to explain but the main things are dizziness ( like i have had a glass of wine or two:)) head fuzziness/cloudyness!! like i have got a bad head cold, feel not myself/slightly detached.

They are also making my anxiety worst, my head is spinning with thoughts. I am getting a bit confused, I had to come home from work as i started to have an anxiety attack- something which hasnt happened at work before.

Can anybody who's taken these tablets give me any advice on the side effects they had as i really hope that these are the tablets causing this and not my anxiety going into hyperdrive!! Hope it is as i am feeling really rough and dont want to do anything!

thanks in advance for your help

NorthernMonkey

Cassie
13-10-06, 19:12
Hi

These sound like typical start up effects and should pass within a couple of weeks. The first tablet i took (5mg) made me feel a bit strange as if i'd taken a drug to make me high. That feeling passed after a couple of doses. I was definitely shaky/trembly for 2 or 3 weeks and also a bit nauseous and had headaches.

Its worth hanging on in as these meds are known to increase your anxiety at first before they start to work properly.

Cassie

billie
08-05-08, 11:48
i started taking ciprelex about two weeks ago having found my previous medication making my insomnia worse. However after about 4 days worth i came out in a rash and now have swelling and stiffness to hands, feet and knees. i have now come off it and dr advised antihistamines but things have steadily got worse. i am not convinced this is realted to the ciprelex has anyone else had this experience?:shrug:

Blaise
08-05-08, 13:43
Hi,

Ive been taking Cipralex for 3 weeks now and the first 10 days were horrible to say the least. I was nauseous all the time, just wanted to curl up on the sofa and was having to violently toilet trott. Now however the problems have stopped. THis is very common when you start on new drugs or up/reduce the dosage. You MUST stick with it and ride the storm. Headaches and woozyness will not kill you. If you tell yourself that this will keep the panic at bay..... hindsight is a marvellous thing.

Feel free to PM me if you need to
Love Blaise xx

Trixie
08-05-08, 17:54
I am starting to think that my tablets must be dummies :ohmy: I have been taking 5mg first thing in the morning and I have been fine with them. :huh:

Phill2
09-05-08, 09:30
I take 10mg in the morning and all is fine.
The first couple of weeks weren't real good though.
Phill :shades:

ChrisE
09-05-08, 23:29
I started on 10mg of cipralex and have just upped to 15mg and have been told to take 20mg from next week. My psychiatrist and doctor both tell me to take it in the morning.

The main side effect i experience is constant yawning all day long. However, I can manage with this. I fiond cipralex amazing compared to the horrid side effects i got from prozac.

Hope this helps

Chris

RVFBoy
19-12-08, 11:43
Hi,

I am experiencing exactly what northernmonkey has posted. I am on day 5 of taking one 5mg tablet per day of cipralex. I go up to a dose of 10mg per day soon.

After day 2 or 3 I woke up with a feeling of increased anxiety which has persisted, my head is cloudy, I have a almost drunk feeling, dizziness and weird feeling all the time. From previous experiencing I know these are symptoms of anxiety, I am just wondering when they will go away.

alias_kev
22-12-08, 22:20
my head is cloudy, I have a almost drunk feeling, dizziness and weird feeling all the time.I had these symptoms BEFORE I started my pills and although they made the heavy headed feeling, headache and tiredness worse to begin with they did get better after a while. The bad symptoms - including those I already had improved over time. Its hard to recall how long things took to change overall but it was 2-3 months.

bab
22-12-08, 22:38
hi all

i have been on these since March - i was on 5mg for 3 weeks and 10mg since then.. i felt for the first 2 weeks extremely wierd and i cant even explain it but they have really helped me - feel free to ask any questions -

they can make you feel horrible at first but you must persevere - the main side effects i get is itching

Lweb10290
22-12-08, 22:38
Ive been taking lexapro 10 mg for a bit now and at first it made me feel weird. sometimes i blank out in my mind and cannot hear what others are saying, i tried to stop taking it but it made my anxiety come back full throttle

mlondon
29-12-08, 15:29
Hi

I have been on 5mg for 1 week. I need to up to 10mg but don't want to do this as I am going to away with a friend for a week. I am going to up it when i get back. I felt rubbish for the first few days, had that real 'fuzzy head feeling' and felt like i was going crazy. I forgot to take the meds a couple of days ago and when I did again had those feelings. However I have also been feeling emotionally better so I am hoping with 10mg I will improve more!

bab
29-12-08, 23:06
hi there

i did the 5mg fr 3weeks then upped to10 - i founf first 2 weeks horrible but really made a difference after that