PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin - Side Effects...

Just Some Guy
18-07-13, 21:07
I have been prescribed Pregabalin (25mg building up to 75mg ) but am yet to start taking it as I don't pick it up until tomorrow. Its been prescribed by a neurologist to combat my panic attacks and dizzyness following fainting on a train three weeks ago.

I was taking Stemetil but the neurologist said to stop taking them as they were "were not for my symptoms" and "they should be banned". He said he'd put me on a "safer" drug, the Pregabalin, however the potential side effects read anything BUT safe. (Suicidal thoughts, depression, chest pains, drowsiness).

I have read several threads on here where people are singing its praises, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with it. I'm not a lover of taking medication of any type so want to make sure I've done my research.

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Also, forgot to ask, is Pregabalin predominantly an anti-seizure drug, an anti-anxiety drug; or a painkiller?

I have read all three regarding it with no confirmation either way.

AnxiousBaker
18-07-13, 21:54
I do not take this drug but i can tell you it actually for neuropathic pain, it just so happens it helps with seizures and helps with anxiety. Helps a lot of people this drug and from what i know carries far less side effects than an ssri for example. Side effect lists are long, they do have to list whatever has cropped up but youd much rather take this than an ssri etc... from what people have said.

hanshan
19-07-13, 12:12
I've been taking pregabalin for three years for generalised anxiety. My own feeling is that it's not so useful for panic attacks, although it may help damp down background anxiety to help you deal with situations that lead to panic.

Pregabalin works very well for me for generalised anxiety. Based on responses to NMP, it has about a fifty per cent success rate for this condition (including people who have to discontinue due to side effects).

You mention suicidal thoughts, depression, and chest pains as side effects. I would have to say that these would be extremely rare. Dizziness, somnolence and lack of coordination are the most frequent side effects, and usually reduce over the first few weeks of treatment. My experience is that it is a very safe drug. Again, don't operate machinery etc until you know how it affects your coordination.

Good luck with pregabalin. I hope it helps you as it has helped me.

To answer your last question, pregabalin is all three - it prevents seizures, reduces very specific kinds of neuropathic pain, and reduces anxiety.

Just Some Guy
19-07-13, 14:12
AnxiousBaker, thanks. :)

Hanshan, thank you, I think (at this stage at least) my panic attacks are stemming from a high level of continued anxiety so hopefully it should dampen this as you say, and lessen them. My dizziness is also more than likely coming from tension in the muscles, which again is probably tied back to the anxiety levels.

Between Pregabalin and some CBT sessions I should be able to have some positive effect on my symptoms. Glad to hear its having so much positive press on here.

funkyman
19-07-13, 15:03
Hi There
I am on week 3-4 of taking a low dose of 75mg twice a day for general anxiety leading to slight panic. The first couple of weeks I was feeling sluggish and a little drunk, poor coordination, but nothing too drastic (did not drive though). I have just returned to work after a year out, (the cause of my anxiety in the first place). I could not even go near the building without feeling sick and anxious a few months back. I was taken aback when I walked in on my first day almost waiting for the anxiety and racing thoughts, but they did not come, it was like something would not allow my body to get stressed about things that before would have done so very easily. I have tried about 7-8 ssri's that were supposed help with anxiety and I would, albeit with my limited experience say Pregablin has beaten the others hands down to reduce my anxiety. So good luck and I hope it works for you.:D

SarahH
19-07-13, 17:14
I completely agree with hanshan and Funkymans' statements. I am on 400mgs a day and can only say that it has been a complete Godsend for me and the side effects (after tweeking the times I take my doses) have gone.

Good luck

and welcome to the pregabalin board :)

Mark13
19-07-13, 22:12
It was the best drug I've been on until it stopped working for me, and if you time your doses right your SEs should be minimal.

Even though it was originally an anti-epileptic medication, my GP said (when I asked for it) that he'd only ever prescribed it for pain control (it's similar to gabapentin AFAIK). He was good enough to look it up though and saew it was licenced for GAD, so I was on it for 4 months.

Hope it works as well for you as it does for hanshan and Sarah.

Just Some Guy
22-07-13, 13:58
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this post, I am going to be taking my first one tonight.

I've had them since last Friday but have problems swallowing tablets, and in my constant anxious state I've been putting it off to avoid having to try. :doh: I know, I've done myself no good by waiting but my wife is now insistent that I "pull my finger out" and start taking something that will help me. :blush:

Wish me luck!

SarahH
22-07-13, 16:22
Good Luck :D

Mark13
23-07-13, 00:28
I'm sure you'll be just fine JSG, but good luck :)

flori
23-07-13, 00:37
Just some guy, you should start taking them, I`ve never been on them,but from what I read they are good and do help.

I take diazepam, but have to be really careful and take them sparingly, which means at times I feel anxious, but can`t take them simply because I have to watch.

Anti depressants make me feel worse, I can`t get beta blockers because of asthma. My gp has never mentioned Pregabalin, yet they are not addictive.