PDA

View Full Version : harm ocd - who to turn to?

lostgirl123
18-07-13, 21:07
hey everyone.

its comforting to see people on here who have similar problems with harm ocd and pure o. I've been suffering from harm ocd (though i've only just established that this is what it is, and i'm not a total evil lunatic), since I was about 8 or 9 years old - around the time my mum left my dad for another man. Although at the time I felt okay with it (I adjusted well to the change), it wasn't long after that, that I started to develop obsessive thoughts. I started to worry that I was going harm other people (particularly those I love dearly), and it used to keep me up all night for years. I knew in my head that the thought of harming made me feel physically sick, it disgusted me, but still the thoughts tormented me. It affected my ability to concentrate at school, my ability to have close friends.. (I also to this day still have obsessive thoughts that everybody hates me). It became worse in episodes really, especially when it was hot (I remember hot nights were when it was most distressing). Around the age of 16 I got a hold of it, and have only had maybe 1 or 2 episodes (lasting maybe a week or 2 at a time) since, as I've learnt to shut these thoughts out. However it wasn't until recently that I plucked up the courage to research it and realised I wasn't alone, and that this is a mental illness. I had spent 12 years of my life, believing I was secretly crazy, mental, evil, disgusting...

I have theories on how this came about, but I'm really seeking to get help (i.e CBT and talking therapy). I've had therapy in the past for issues with eating, depression and anxiety, but have never had the courage to mention this particular issue.

I want to talk to my mum about it, but she makes it so difficult. I don't feel like I'm anywhere near comfortable enough to discuss it. She is herself, a counsellor, but she seems to think that her children are exempt from any feelings or disorders she has studied. I am really concerned at how much she drinks too, and the amount of men she seems to have on the go at the moment (she has since split with my stepfather in 2011, which was an extremely turbulent time). I can't seem to get close to her, we've always been so close but in a way, (which I'm sure isn't true), she seems not to care anymore now I've moved out.

If anybody wants to talk about harm ocd and their issues, it would be great to have somebody to relate to.

peace x

Invisibletouch
18-07-13, 23:44
I'm sorry that you've had all those years not realising that you have OCD and that it is a treatable condition. Maybe your mum is not the best person to talk to as even though she is a counsellor, it would probably be difficult for her to admit that as her daughter, you have this problem, and the fact that she didn't pick up on it before. I would say your Gp is the best way to go. Don't be afraid to explain how you're feeling and how long this has been happening, they will have heard it many times before, and will be able to refer you for appropriate CBT/talking therapy.
I'm sure that your mum cares for you and loves you, it maybe she is dealing with her own issues at the moment.
Take care....

MrsStobe13
19-07-13, 09:08
I can relate somewhat to you. I was diagnosed with suspected harm OCD/Pure O on Monday and I thought I was just twisted and sick. In fact, these urges at times seem so strong it's like I'm going to act on them and it's so hard to be nice when my brain is telling me to do bad things. Yesterday I helped my Dad at B&Q. When we got his scooter out I my mind's eye saw me catch him under the chin and breaking his neck, the thought was so vivid and it really upset me. I know in my heart this is just a mental illness but I can't get over it, why me? Why now? My symptoms started about 2 years ago and I did think I was going crazy. On my wedding day I just kept saying I have to get through this without killing anyone and it's so tiring when my first thoughts each morning are "will I kill someone today?", only to be followed all day by the urges. How long until we snap? yet we never do. Something inside stops us, something amazingly strong.

MrsS x