PDA

View Full Version : I want his attitude to health!!

debbsi
18-07-13, 21:54
Im sick of my health anxiety. I try hard to overcome it, mindfulness is really helping but wish I was like others who seem to be able to cope with anything.
I work in a hospital and today I worked with a man who has had several serious health problems, his attitude is - 'well I cant do anything about it - so I just get on with it' now why cant I be like that? What a wonderful man - I was so in awe of his outlook, and its suprising just how many patients I see who are like that. Its quite rare in fact that I see someone who is the nervous wreck that I would be in their shoes.

He really made me look at myself. My current worry is fueled by the recent emphasis on lung cancer. I had a virus/cough/sore throat a few weeks ago, it went after 2 weeks then 2 weeks later the cough started again. Now I really think about it Im sure its GORD causing me to keep clearing my throat and feeling like theres something to be coughed up (sorry - TMI), and Ive started taking some ranitadine to help. Im only 41 and never smoked and only cough about 10 times a day. Problem is I freaked and went to the gp for reassurance. I just wanted him to put my mind at rest, but cos I mentioned that cough for more than 3 weeks ad hes sending me for a chest xray - which has increased my anxiety. Part of me thinks if the coughs gone by monday im not going grrrr, wish I wasnt like this. I need to learn from my patients!!

Peru83
18-07-13, 22:19
Hi Debbsi,

I think since my first PA I have managed to convince myself of ALLL SORTS! It's became a bit of a running joke with my my husband (in a nice way ofc, as he knows/understands how I am).

So far I have had Bowel Cancer/Chrohn's disease as I had bit of constipation once. I have then had a brain tumor due to a rushing fluid feeling in my head (this is actually due to me having bad posture and sitting slumped in my seat all the time -in fact doing it now :doh:). I got another mole only two weeks ago, yup you guessed it, skin cancer! I have now been to the doctors and had them checked, I feel I'm somewhat ok about it now. But I will be keeping an eye on that mole! :blush:

The worst thing you can do is compare yourself to others. As great as this man's outlook is, he's not you and your not him. If you were in his situation and you had a real illness (not that I'm suggesting mental health isn't a 'real illness, but you know what I mean) to deal with, I'm sure you would find you would cope. It's that whole 'fight or flight' thing we do as human beings, we all have it.

Our problem is that we worry about ending up this way, not how we'll cope if/when we do.

Going to the GP for reassurance is not a bad thing! If it makes you feel more at ease with how you are and helps you sleep at night, then do it!

Chin up and try not to over think it :)

debbsi
18-07-13, 22:24
your right - its worrying about what could be, I should practice the mindfulness more - and just take every day as it comes and try not to think about the future x

Peru83
18-07-13, 22:31
Indeed :) PMA isn't as easy as some people make it out to be! especially when you have the thoughts we do! But your right, just take each day as it comes and you WILL be ok :)