PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about these palps. :( haven't slept.

Jsp
19-07-13, 06:21
Hi everyone. Its like 7am and I haven't slept all night, have to be up soon to look after the dog while everyones out (more difficult than it sounds!) on top of not being able to sleep, I'm getting awful palpitations. They're every 30 secs or so and are quite forceful. I worry about my heart, I really think there's something wrong with it like high bp or some type of irregular heartbeat due to how strong some are :( i got a pain in my chest earlier too, more like a painful palp.

I don't know what to do, i just wanna go to sleep but there's not even any point as I have to be up soon, and I want the palps to go away :(!

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:01
How old are you? Have you had any tests/seen your dr about them?

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:03
I'm 18, have had two ECG's and an echocardiogram, all came back fine. Never experienced any palps while I was on the ECG though so nothing was picked up about them :/ they've seem to get worse lately, with these awful chest pains which are different and more like a palpitation which hurts. So I worry it's something the ECG hasn't picked up as ECG's are so short.

Speranza
19-07-13, 08:08
Hi Darling, let me reassure you... just take it easy and first - don't worry about the lack of sleep, that will not harm you even if it feels awful.

You sound to have got into a cycle where your fear is making it worse and it getting worse is feeding your fear. I know that horrid feeling of worrying your body won't cope without the sleep, but it really will. (My kids didn't sleep for 7 years! I'm not saying it was pleasant, but...)

The pain is probably caused by you having been so tense and anxious that you have clenched a load of muscles in your chest without realising. Just mentally scan your body. Is your tummy tense? Shoulders? Relax them all... xx

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:09
I have been getting the same thing lately. Palpitations that hurt. It's brief but definitely a twinge with them like a spasm or something. Can't really advise as I've not got an answer, just to say you're not the only one.

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:10
Yes - You're right. To be honest, I think it was not being able to sleep which made the palps worse due to being anxious over it. Which then feeds into the anxiety itself! A viscous circle.

Once this is done, I'll try and have a few hours sleep to catch up. I don't feel too bad not having sleep, just frustrated!

mummyanxious
Have you mentioned the pains to the dr or is this dice you went and had tests?

Speranza
btw I know exactly what you mean about thinking ECGs are too short to find anything. But I did once ask and have it all explained to me, and although I can't explain it to you they DO definitely pick up what they need in that brief time. Don't worry Sweetheart!

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:13
Thanks for your reply mummyanxious. It's weird, I hope it is just a muscular spasm thing.

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 ----------

Mummyanxious - I went to the doctor a few months ago about the pains I was getting, as they was different to the pains I would normally experience and the once I was getting around the times of my test. She did not seem concerned due to having these previous tests, and diagnosed me with costochondritis and gave me some ibuprofen gel to put on my chest three times a day. It didn't work much, a very small amount, but I'm not sure if it was just stopping pain from the palps!

Speranza - thanks for that, it is reassuring that you've told me that. I always just thought it only picks up a tiny bit of what goes on!

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:17
It's very frustrating isn't it as this is different to what I've had before. I had learnt to accept my palps as stress until they came back with this pain. And it defo feels like its coming with the heartbeat from the heart. Told same as you, muscular, but I don't think muscles go that deep in your chest as to where its coming from.

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:20
It sounds like you have exactly the same thing as me! I managed to deal with my palps and chest pains, until this came, not only that because it's different but because as you said, it's so deep within my chest and comes with the heart beat itself. I've had muscular chest pains a hell of a lot, and it doesn't feel a thing like that. When do you most often experience yours? I'm most likely to get them while walking, even just slowly, sometimes just sitting there doing nothing.

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:35
You see I've been getting mine when I've bent to get something or sometimes I'm not doing anything in particular but because I've mentioned it happened when I stretched this convinced them more it was muscular.

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:36
Yes I get it when I bend a hell of a lot too. It's very strange. The fact it happens when I walked and bent convinced mine that it's muscular too :/

Speranza
19-07-13, 08:41
I bet in a few hours this thread will be full of people who've had the same thing. Try to relax if you possibly can. Focus on keeping your shoulders down.

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:43
Speranza - Yeah that normally happens lol. I like it in a way, not that others are stuffering lol, just that I'm not alone with what I experience.

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:44
Thing is when I've asked before no one had had painful heartbeats. And everyone always says pain with a palpitation is bad news.
I did read on the chemical palps forum some reassuring info but the site had gone down :(

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:45
Yeah that's why I worry too! As it's not just a normal palp, or a normal chest pain that most people experience. You're the only person I know who has had similar - hopefully there are others on here who I just haven't met.

How long have you had yours for, mummyanxious?

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 08:52
I had them for about a week when pregnant and a dr I saw then said that an electric shock type thing could happen randomly.
They went away then...
Then they came back about four months ago after I had a nasty virus. I don't get it with every palpitation though, just occasionally, maybe a couple a day. The others are your usual run of the mill palps

Speranza
19-07-13, 08:55
Wel it certainly wouldn't harm to talk to a doctor to get reassurance but you need to make a decision that you will believe what they tell you... I don't say that lightly, it's the only way to keep sane.

Jsp
19-07-13, 08:59
Mummyanxious - I've had mine about that long too. I'm also the same, mainly get run of the mill palps, but a few of these a day. Sometimes may get about 10 or 20 when trying to walk somewhere, although this is rare.

Speranza - Yeah I think I will go back to my doctor soon as I'm still worried about it, despite her diagnosis. I was happy with the diagnosis originally, until the treatment didn't work; making me think it's not actually costochondritis. She's a brilliant doctor and seems very thorough, so I hope she is right originally!

mummyanxious
19-07-13, 11:16
Let us know how you get on and take care