PDA

View Full Version : 8 years on and still going strong

Peru83
19-07-13, 07:39
Hi guys :)

I was diagnosed with anxiety in 2005, it all happened for me whilst watching TV. Very bizarre way for it to start eh? Just watching TV, minding my own and BOOM panic attack :weep:

This was a horrible time in my life, I was miserable, scared, alone! I sank into a deep depression along side the anxiety. On some days I felt helpless and I did think about just ending it all, because the thought of getting up every day feeling this way just broke me. I couldn't do it though, I couldn't leave my family behind, how selfish is that?

I found this site not long after all this kicked off for me, which I feel was a massive help in my recovery process. Finding all these great people, who shared the same thoughts and experiences as me! It was amazing! I no longer felt lonely!

However, all my other issues were still there. I was still miserable & scared and I hated it. I hated myself for being this way! Why couldn't I just be normal? Why couldn't I be like everyone else?

Firstly I had to stop comparing myself to 'everyone else', who cares about them? They have their own issues to contend with, no one is perfect or blissfully happy! Fact! I had to concentrate solely on me and getting better.

I was in this misrable place due to my life style and surroundings, so these things had to change. I stopped smoking, drinking and started to eat healthier. I left my partner and became an official (I say this because he was never really around anyway, so technically had always been) a single parent. I got out and started to meet people, just by taking the kids to the park, social groups etc...These changes were the hardest thing I have ever done, but also the best.

I refused to let myself sink any deeper, I couldn't! That was not fair on my kids! Since leaving that waste of space and moving home I have done 3 years at college, have been working for two, I got married to a wonderful man in 2008 and I have had baby number 4!

Things will change, but YOU have to the be the one to make that happen. No amount of medication or doctor visits will cure you. They will help, but they wont do everything you need to move on. Only you can help you.

I think once we realise it's ourselves that make the difference, that is when good things start to happen.

Whats your trigger? What scares you the most? Why do you think these are your trigger? Why is that these things scare you? I think once you figure this out, you are then able to tackle your fears head on.

Find the things that help you remain calm! do you enjoy exercise? Which btw is great at releasing the happy endorphins and makes you feel all round better! Do you like to read/watch movies/listen to music? You need to stop focusing on the horrible things, this will just make you go round in circles. You need to focus on the good things. Even if you can only think of one good thing and the rest are all bad, you still have one good thing to hold onto. For me my one good thing was my kids!

I do hope that this helps and should any of you just want to chat or want advise, just drop me a PM :) more than happy to help :)

Speranza
19-07-13, 08:16
Great stuff!!

Ally-SA
19-07-13, 12:41
Love this post - thank you - and well done! :D

Peru83
19-07-13, 19:36
Thanks guys,

I got a PM from someone asking me how I got through things, so I thought that I would post it. Might be of some help to someone :)