PDA

View Full Version : SABRE TOOTHED TIGERS AND A RELAXED ANUS

ksmith
12-10-06, 19:25
Just wanna vent my spleen for a mo if you don't mind.....

Waited nearly five months for an Anxiety Management Class and feel pretty disappointed, not to mention patronised. The Occ Health woman explained very slowly and deliberately all about how once, long ago, we might have been faced by a Sabre toothed tiger and how, in response to danger, we would have released adrenalin, evacuated our bowels to make ourselves lighter, and either fought or ran for it. All very interesting, but all very basic - there wasn't one of us in the class who hadn't already learned this. Don't know if I'll go again coz I might not be able to keep a straight face.

But, if I every find a Tiger in an aisle in Tesco's and I crap myself as I run, at least I'll know it's down a relaxed anus and that I haven't become incontinent (lol).

Kay (oh well, back to the drawing board .....)

nomorepanic
12-10-06, 19:36
Kay

She was going back to the very basics and I bet some people there didn't know about the fight or flight response.

Stick with it - it could get better and you may learn some stuff you didn't know.

Your post did make me laugh though about Tesco's.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Melxxx
12-10-06, 19:45
Oh Kay,

I am crying with laughter lol I now see the aisle's in Tescos in a whole different light :D

Please go back and keep us updated my councillor also told me all about fight or flight. I had read about it before so we moved on and I found her help invaluable.

You have made my evening with this post still laughing

Thank you

Mel xx

honeybee3939
12-10-06, 19:55
LOL Kay !! made me laugh too !!

I think you also should go again to the Anxiety Management Class.I have done a couple of the courses and they seemed to benefit, not only that ,i enjoyed been with people that understood my illness and we could share our knowledge of anxiety with one another, it was also nice to make new friends.

Still laughing here about the Tiger !!!

Love

Andrea
xxx

Wannabeloved85
12-10-06, 20:51
im laughing over the tescos tiger!! oh deary me!

manmoor
12-10-06, 22:45
Hey Kay,

Lol very funny hun lol xx

Take Care

Mandyxx

Lynnann
12-10-06, 22:47
Kay,

Very funny, def think you should go back and keep us updated!!

would give you hugs but still too busy laughing

take care

Lynnann

tam
12-10-06, 22:58
he kay that was just what i needed a good laugh thanks.i think you should stick at it though even if only to make us laugh after,no only joking stick at it you never know.lol tracy

Paddington
13-10-06, 11:41
ha ha ha ha!!What a picture that paints????!!!!Very funny indeed,i know the feeling too,ha h ha!!Keep up the therapy tho,i guess they have to start somewhere ?GRRR!HA HA HA!!Love mary rose,xxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

carlin
13-10-06, 15:16
I'm using sainsbury from now on!!! seriously, give it a chance and see what happens, over the years I have so many stories to tell, once, when I used to see a herbalist man, he was so weird my BEST? friend even offered to pay for me to go so i could give her a laugh...see what happens the next time you go, take care mate. xxjean

net
13-10-06, 15:56
that was funny:D

when i went to mine 3 weeks ago she told me about the fight or flight not with a tiger though and i told her i knew about it last week she told me stuff i already knew and gave me a relaxation cd which made me so tense i got a headache.
today she actually taught me some useful stuff so i think you should keep going cos eventually it will get to stuff which could help you

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

ruthb1
13-10-06, 17:58
kay,

you need to go again, to make us laugh with your stories, why are they all weirdo's, i went to anxiety management cklasses last year and the other day i was in B&Q and the councellor whatever you want to call her saw me, i turned the other way. not very nice i know but couldnt get into the conversation about anxiety.

keep going it gets more interesting, you will laugh your head off. wait till the get the relaxation tapes out and you feel ans though your the only one who cant do it.

take care

ruth

ksmith
14-10-06, 14:09
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I probably will go back just to prove to myself it wasn't a totally surreal experience. I think I have become a sophisticated anxiety sufferer in the sense that I know a lot about causes and treatment of anxiety and so going back to basics was a little disappointing.

There's comedy gold somewhere within this quagmire of anxiety and depression. If only someone could script it and sell it ........

Cheers

Kay x

momo
20-10-06, 13:29
That was the funniest topic subject i've seen in ages! lol!!

(I heard a rumour thou that they try to keep the sabre's in the back warehouse as they cause the cleaners havoc on the shop floor...) :)

Mo x

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn......

GAD
03-11-06, 21:55
I think you should stick with it as it will probably get better. She probably has a scheme of work to complete for the course and has to go from complete basics before moving on.
These classes acan be a bit of a nightmare though - i went to one last year. it was a permanent group that offered ongoing support, a bit like this forum only you go there and sit around and talk about your previous weeks experience with other members and the facilitator. Well the first time i went i realised that this group was not only for sufferers of anxiety but also for serious mental illness sufferers. As this is my worst fear i decided not not run away and stick with it to face my fears. I did so for a good few weeks until one of the members came into my place of work (teaching hair and beauty) for a treatment from one of my students and told the student where she had met me, how she knew me, and WHAT MY ANXIETIES are!! I was mortified as i just assumed that everything would be kept confidential. I went off sick for about 4 months! I am now pretty wary of these groups unless they are facilitated at my GP'sand totally confidential.

I hope i have not put you off with my horror story as i think in general they are a good resource to have.
Good luck and update us how you get on.

Michelle
x

ksmith
04-11-06, 17:28
Michelle, how awful for you. I'd never really thought about the confidentiality issue but yes, I can see how it could be a potential problem.

I live in a small village and I knew before I walked into the room I would know at least a couple of people in there (and I did). At no time has the facilitator mentioned confidentiality.

The class has improved (a little) but I find the occ health and CPN so lacking in enthusiasm they do little to improve my faith in this method of helping anxiety.

Kay x