PDA

View Full Version : Driving & Anxiety/Panic

AngryMonkey
19-07-13, 14:16
I started learning to drive last year, I'm 28 in a couple of weeks so I'm a later starter. It was a massive step getting into a car at the beginning, having been involved in a bad accident as a child. During my first lesson, I suffered a panic attack, in the middle of a junction and completely lost it. I had to swap seat with my instructor so he could drive around the block a few times while I calmed down.

Each lesson after that was an improvement, the worst being the first ten minutes or so, then gradually gaining confidence until I was feeling pretty comfortable. I didn't feel like I was too far from passing my test, but I had to stop having lessons as my circumstances at home changed and I could no longer afford lessons.

I started again last week, with a new instructor. My first lesson was traumatic, I just couldn't drive! I couldn't remember what I was supposed to be doing and I ended up in tearsn halfway through. My second lesson was yesterday, and again, I ended up in tears just thinking that I couldn't carry on learning.

I've got my next lesson next week and I'm already wanting to cancel. Has anyone struggling with anxiety managed to learn to drive? Should I persevere or will my panic always cause a problem? Any tips on how to avoid getting myself so worked up? Any advice would be appreciated!

Angela