PDA

View Full Version : A dislike of a time of year

Justin1973
19-07-13, 19:27
Hi, This will makes sense lol.

What I'm asking is; if there is a time of year - Christmas, Autumn, summer Easter etc - that anyone on here doesn't like or even dread?

For the past three years I've had a pretty horrible late July/August.

2010; a developed an fair of contamination and had bad anxiety. Saw a doctor in early aug. and I was put on anti-depressants. That started off me having panic attacks which, amazingly, I hadn't had the previous 6 months before suffering with this. I was just restless and couldn't settle!

2011; I done so well with therapy. I came of the AD's too soon without any practical support. Came off on a bad time of me life with family problems and being caught in the middle of problems my friends were having. Had too panic attacks late in July and throughout the rest of the summer I was in a state, high anxiety, shaking most of the day, everyday, depressed etc. I could go on!!!

2012; After more therapy and an anxiety management course and getting back on AD's, I felt more balanced. I've had stress over that year still with the same issues. However, last summer was so horrible. End of July my dog (we had for 14 years) had to be put down as he had heart and lung failure. I was devastated and felt fragile for all of that time. Then, a so-called friend of mine accuse me of something I didn't do. I didn't really get any back up or defence from my best friend. He was, still is, having intimacy with her. Kind takes first place in his eyes :wacko: I was just hurt so bad I felt ill. I couldn't fully enjoy the little break I had with mum and dad and the nephews at the beginning of sept last year.

Well, here we are again, a year later and it's come to that point when things went horrible for me for the years I've mentioned.

You can imagine the dread I am feeling. I feel very fed up, tired, my chest is tight, I just don't feel happy at all. I'm going out and doing stuff, I'm keen to actually as it takes my mind of this and allows me to forget about it for awhile.

I'm going to a wedding during this period. I'm not happy as I had a major panic attack at the last wedding I went to three years ago. Lovely!!! lol.

I keep saying to myself, this can't go on though. There has to be a "the last six or so weeks of summer" that really will turn out okay for me. The ones from 2009 going back as far as I remember weren't horrible, bad and anything like that. Boring a lot of cases maybe but, I'll take boring anytime right now lol.

Fingers crossed I get over this bit unscaved, if poss.

Is there a time of year that you dread, wish you could stay asleep for and wake up when time moves on a bit?

adelaiswonderland
19-07-13, 23:45
I hate winter.. It gets too dark too soon and I developed a bit of a fear of the dark with the anxiety. I feel claustrophobic, I like the freedom of being out all day! And I'm a grinch, Christmas makes me a bit bitter, which I hope to get past! :) It's weird Summer is bad for you, all that serotonin flying around! Good luck though. :)

nataliewoods88
20-07-13, 03:34
hello there :) im the same but in winter, christmas always makes me feel like i have a certain pressure to feel merry and joyful! And the dark nights don't help with the depression. It seems to me we both hold a certain focus on this time of year because one of two bad things have happened we are that scared we almost convince ourselves something bad going to happen so that mind set can set us off for those things to occur. Try and tell yourself yes those things happened but this year it doesn't automatically mean its doom and gloom, life doesn't work in patterns.

Justin1973
20-07-13, 11:57
Thanks for the advice; I use my worry thought diaries to challenge me thoughts. I'm gonna need to read them everyday with the idea it stick in my mind and give a more positivity.

The winter thing is very common for a lot of people. My anxiety gets a little high leading up to Christmas because of all the preparation, stress and everyone around seems to be in hyper fast mode lol. Yet, Late July/all of August seems to have become a sticking point for me. I'm gonna take it easy, remind myself it's not gonna be like this every single time *sigh*.

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar feelings to me.

Have you guys thought about doing a worry thought diary and writing down what you don't like about the winter/Christmas and how to challenge it?

adelaiswonderland
20-07-13, 22:15
That's a good idea I might start doing that! Brains are so complicated the amount of association that goes on. Interesting but hard to deal with. One year you won't feel so awful at a certain time and hopefully that will let your brain know it won't always be like that for you.

Sparkle1984
21-07-13, 00:15
Yes, nearly all of my anxiety episodes have begun in late Spring or summertime. I don't know why that is. Its almost like SAD in reverse! I don't mind early Spring though, when all the snowdrops and daffodils are open - in fact that's one of my favourite times of the year.

Justin1973
21-07-13, 16:56
That's a good idea I might start doing that! Brains are so complicated the amount of association that goes on. Interesting but hard to deal with. One year you won't feel so awful at a certain time and hopefully that will let your brain know it won't always be like that for you.

thanks for those words. I keep telling myself, one of these years I'm going to have a rather subdued, drama free, relatively healthy Jul/August lol. I don't see why not.

I'm doing exactly that. I've got my worry thought diaries for this time of year and the wedding I'll be going to during this time. I've written it all day and read it daily.

Anxiety a bit high today so went for swim. I find that helps :) It's up and down to I tend to deal with the up moments and just enjoy my day when all's quiet on the anxiety side. Going out seems to help it quite a bit. I've learnt shutting myself away makes it all the more harder. You'd think it'd be the other way round! I'm dealing with and I'm trying to think of positive and nice things to do during this time. we're in a hot spell so, that's encouraging :)

Ah, Sparkle1984; yours seem to come before mine do. It must be hard when it's things you can't pinpoint. Memory and association is my problem here :wacko: