PDA

View Full Version : Still worried about Tetanus! Help :(

GirlAfraid23
19-07-13, 21:33
So I made a post about this yesterday, I stepped on something on the school playground field (I work there) whilst wearing sandals yesterday afternoon.

It was like pinprick pain and when I looked it was bleeding and was a little hole.

When I got home I cleaned it, put savlon on it and a plaster and rang nhs direct. They said it should be ok, but I've read that tetanus symptoms don't show up until several days or weeks after the injury!

I keep feeling pains in my neck and jaw and think I'm getting lock jaw :( I want to go to a&e but my parents and partner think I'm obsessing as usual.

I believe I've had my 5 doses of tetanus vaccination from a baby until between 13-18 years of age. I can't be sure exactly when, I wish I had a record :(
If t was 13, I'm 24 now so only a year out.

If you have all 5 are you protected for life? That's what it says here:

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/tetanus-immunisation

joelhall
19-07-13, 21:38
Yes you are. Believe me that tetanus is a very serious infectious disease, and it wouldn't be pain you start experiencing but the muscles go into a state nkown as tetanus (or tetanic contraction), where the toxin prevents the normal cross bridge cycling, and literally set rigid. You would become very ill.

GirlAfraid23
19-07-13, 21:45
Was the 'yes you are' to the question about am I protected for life?

joelhall
19-07-13, 21:54
It was yes :)

Stormsky
19-07-13, 22:05
I cut my finger today on old crate, it bleed too. I'm not worried though!

nomorepanic
19-07-13, 22:11
I haven't had a tetanus jab for over 20 years and I have always been ok as well.