PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and panic attacks - any advice?

starlight78
19-07-13, 21:53
Hi all, I've been doing pretty well with this pregnancy so far. I'm just short if 18 weeks and so far I've had the odd spike of anxiety, but no panic attacks.
This evening I've come close to a panic.. I felt the old familiar feelings of being overwhelmed and unable to cope.
Pregnancy pushes all my anxiety buttons - I suffer with claustrophobia, OCD and panic. I know that I am now totally out of control of my body. 75% of the time I am excited about being pregnant, but 25% of me is freaked out at the idea that I have a baby growing inside me - that's there is no going back!

I know I sound like an awful person and that I am blessed.
I have changed anti depressants just prior to pregnancy as they were thought to be safer. I also haven't been able to have any diazepam to keep the panic attacks at bay. The near panic has rocked me :(

Any others out there have any ideas of tips for me? X

Col
20-07-13, 20:32
ahh starlight XXXX

ive posted on the pregnancy part of the forum, over the last few months as ive had a terrible time. im 23 weeks nearly and im exactly feeling as anxious as you andi can not describe my despair and lack of control ect BUT im sooooooo excited and despite this being my 3rd and final child - IT doesnt get any easier. in fact in some ways its worse as i know what to expect.

when my last 2 were born i didnt suffer with GAD so this time , im really not good. im deep down utterly freaked and labour - i can not bare to think about it.

I cant offer much help but contact me for a chat anytime. xx

starlight78
21-07-13, 16:45
Thanks Col :) strangely I'm not too worried about labour. I'm most anxious about carrying the baby. X x

Notsoskinny
04-07-14, 19:33
Hi Ladies,
If it helps to lighten the mood, I'd like to share my own experience of pregnancy from the Male side. My wife and I tried for seven years to get her to conceive to no avail. After several false IVF attempts we got lucky. I have to say that now , even 12 years later, that pregnancy felt like it lasted 18 months !!. My wife had some blood spotting early doors on our successful attempt and we spent the whole of the pregnancy worrying.
Our daughter was born 6 weeks early and the part I would like to relay to you was the final hours of my wife's labour. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before ( and of course my wife too !! ). during her contractions which only lasted minutes at a time , my wife looked in the sort of pain that I could only expect to see from someone having all their teeth pulled without the needle !! , and then seconds later , from the very same lady " I'd love a cup of tea and a slice of toast" !!!! When our daughter was born I will openly admit to bawling my eyes out, ( in fact , I'm still feeling these emotions as I type away now ). When your beautiful child is born , I guarantee you that you will breathe the biggest sigh of relief and not regret a minute of your pregnancy.
Nowadays ( whilst back in bloke mode ) it always tickles me when my wife talks with people pregnant or wanting to get pregnant , and I always offer up the same line that she rolls her eyes back at without fail. I never fail to point out that " it's just like having a big poo, just push , and pop !! there you are !!!" But seriously , just look forward to the greatest feeling on Earth , the unconditional love that is given and received when your child is born. Take Care.

Catherine S
04-07-14, 20:12
Notsoskinny....this thread was started a year ago so I would hazard a guess that she's had the baby :D. But your reply is lovely..very supportive for anybody pregnant at the moment.

ISB x

Notsoskinny
05-07-14, 00:28
Notsoskinny....this thread was started a year ago so I would hazard a guess that she's had the baby :D. But your reply is lovely..very supportive for anybody pregnant at the moment.

ISB x

Doh !!! Give a bloke a Keyboard , throw in a girl themed scenario , and what do you expect ?!! , Our pregnancy DEFINATELY lasted 18 Months , I've now got the grey hair to prove it :wacko:

Catherine S
05-07-14, 00:33
:chairfall:

bimmer18
07-07-14, 04:33
I'm so glad I read this! I'm 35 weeks, and 4 days pregnant and needed some uplifting. Hormones are awful making my anxiety unbearable. Glad you wrote NSS!

Notsoskinny
12-07-14, 23:23
Hi Bimmer18,
Hope your anxiety doesn't get in the way of what is bound to be the best experience you will ever have the opportunity of taking part in !!

Try and enjoy the rest whilst you still can, your feet won't touch the ground after baby arrives !!! We were so lucky to have our child, and if time had been on our side we would definitely have gone for it again.

Top tip when the time comes. Make sure your kettle is up to scratch. It won't get the chance to go cool for at least a month due to the visiting masses ( all of whom will think they are your only small distraction :)) and the countless times you'll need it for steralizing everything ! When the guests start a knocking and brew time beckons , let THEM make the drinks , as you and your newborn will be too busy occupying the very much deserved centre stage.

Very Best wishes to you,:flowers:

NSS.