PDA

View Full Version : vaginal infection? women only.

Rachel W
20-07-13, 08:06
Hi,
I hope this isn't TMI, but I posted a few years ago about a gristly lump at the top of my vagina (NOT my cervix but to the right of it, high up).
As I have yet to get health insurance, I had been periodically checking to see if there was a change as if there was then I would go to the doctor even without insurance.

Tonight, almost at the end of my shower I checked and they double lump (which it feels like), was more in front of the cervix, which it sometimes is. I thought that I should check it again lying down as this sometimes puts it in the old location of where I first felt it and I wanted to make sure that its size was the same (2.5 years later).

But I got somewhat worried as I was checking on the computer and as I was by myself I decided to check then, by slouching, as I did not want to wait until I went to bed and if I had gone then I may have disturbed my boyfriend who was sleeping.

So I felt the lump, but it was uncomfortable as I was a little dry. But now I am suddenly freaked out about having possibly given myself an infection.
I had been touching a few things after my shower which had been about 30 mins or so before. (Note I have OCD so the following items and the way they are handled may seem strange):
Some clean tampons that I was putting in clean zip-locks (I tip them out of the package and wash my hands before touching them again and they were only on the bed and in my clothes draw), my face cream (which the container was washed after coming in from the store and has been in one of my drawers ever since but I reuse by filling it with cream from tubes without touching the container). Then my computer, which I don't wipe often but I only ever use it when I have been touching my stuff and never after being outside or touching any money or anything like that.

I am usually VERY careful when I self-exam, usually wash my hands first or mostly in the shower. I am really scared of getting an infection bad enough that could cause issues with reproductive organs. :(

Please if someone could tell me the chances and if I would know if I get an infection bad enough. (I am due my period in about three days so I will be getting cramps and discharge would be difficult to notice). :(

P.S. I know that it is common for women to be 'fingered' by their partners and this is often during a time or place that doesn't include hand-washing e.g. after being at a club etc. so maybe what I did is very unlikely to have caused an issue, but I am still worried. :(

Pipkin
20-07-13, 08:14
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Pip

Rachel W
20-07-13, 09:18
I am sorry, I had forgotten about this sub-category, although I have posted in it before. It is late here (half-asleep).

Masqued
20-07-13, 10:29
Chances of infection are unlikely as you body has barriers to protect itself from infection. As for the lump, get it checked. Peace of mind.

Rachel W
20-07-13, 10:35
Thanks for the reply. I feel a bit better now.

In regards to the lump, I know, I want to get it checked but have no health insurance at the moment and to be honest I am more scared of going. I hope to get a job soon, so once I do then I will. But it has not changed since I noticed it over 2 years ago and I have no lump if I palpate my pelvic region.

Speranza
20-07-13, 12:00
Hi Rachel, what age are you and do you have kids? Only asking because I was worried about the feel of my vagina, have had countless routine checks for other things and nobody has ever commented on it so I guess it is normal!

It is almost impossible that you have given yourself an infection given what you say. The vagina is very good at cleaning itself and will already be familiar with all the germs in your environment.

Rachel W
25-07-13, 05:45
Hi, I am 42 but no children. I feel okay now and I started my period exactly when expected so I am not really worried about having an infection now. I have just been so anxious for so long with my OCD that sometimes I let everything get on top of me. Thanks for all of the comments.

Speranza
25-07-13, 07:56
Glad you are feeling better. xx