PDA

View Full Version : Tongue cancer treatment 4 months on

Ddcoo
21-07-13, 10:54
Hi Everyone, I can't believe it is 4 months on since The radiotherapy/ chemotherapy stopped, the weeks of treatment didn't go as fast, but hey I am still here and gradually making progress. The night after I posted last time I ended up in A&E with an abcess on my saliva gland, which was quite painful. This is due to the radiation burning the saliva gland and the secretions, the secretions go thicker and the tube to the mouth gets blocked and then infection happens, but I was given antibiotics that night and then got an appointment with the surgeon at his clinic 2 days later and he gave me further antibiotics. He arranged for an ultra sound scan of the gland to see if any further action was needed, but fortunately the antibiotics worked and I just have to be even more vigilant of my oral hygiene. I must have the cleanest mouth in the land and I think I am using up our salt reserves pretty fast!

I have been feeling so much better lately, but this weekend I am not so good, very tired, fuzzy headed etc, but I have been doing a bit too much lately, so I have been ordered to rest by my chap. This also means a rest for him so he has his head tucked in the newspaper today.

Nothing much else to report this time, just slow and steady progress on my part. I have been pretty busy catching up with household chores and outstanding jobs, or at least WE have, I give the instructions - he does the donkey work!!

Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful weather and why is it that I have to avoid the sunlight at all costs for the next 12 months due to the radiation burns on my head, neck and chest, ah well; there is always next year.

Thanks again for all the support you have given to me over the past 6 months.

Speranza
21-07-13, 11:13
Hi, I've joined since all this happened to you, but I am really pleased that it is all going well for you. x

Twinsmummy
21-07-13, 11:35
Hello Diane
Lovely to hear from you, I think about you often. I'm sorry to hear about the infection you had, it sounds horrible, I'm glad they were able to sort it out fairly quickly.

I wanted to wish you all of the best in your ongoing recovery, my mum has a friend in a similar position and I know how hard it has been and how worrying.

Take care of yourself
Cx

Magic
21-07-13, 11:56
Ddcoo,
So nice to hear from you. Please take care-- and don't do to much. It has gone a bit cooler now. Will be better for you. Sounds like you have a good chap.
Sending you lots of Love:hugs::hugs::hugs: xxx

Daisy Sue
21-07-13, 12:05
Glad to hear you're on the right side of it all now :)

RosieXXX
21-07-13, 12:23
Hello Di,

Lovely to hear from you - i often wonder how you are getting on. Sorry you had a set back with an abcess, but good to hear it has been sorted and you are making steady progress. You must take notice of your Chap and make sure you do indeed take it easy - i think this hot weather takes its toll whether we are inside or out - so i am not surprised, with all things considered, you have been feeling rather tired this weekend. Hopefully you can enjoy the warm summer evenings in your garden.

Take care, and look forward to hearing from you before too long. xx

nomorepanic
21-07-13, 15:09
Wow Di 4 months already - it doesn't seem that long ago really.

Sorry to hear you have been poorly but as always I am sending you loads of love and get well wishes. xxx

Annie0904
21-07-13, 17:27
Where does the time go?! Lovely to hear from you on NMP :D. Luckily today has been a bit cooler and much better for you I imagine xx

Granny Primark
21-07-13, 18:02
Sorry this is the first time Ive read any of your posts as I dont come on here so much now.
You seem like one hell of a brave lady and Im so pleased your on the way to recovery and that you have got such a caring chap.:)
The best of luck to you.:hugs::hugs::hugs:

almamatters
21-07-13, 21:24
Hi Diane , nice to hear from you, sorry about your recent abscess but am pleased that you continue to improve in health. Best wishes. :hugs::hugs: xxx