PDA

View Full Version : New to site, total newbie

Gingernut
21-07-13, 15:34
Hi there,
Just found this site and thought I would give it a go! I started suffering from anxiety 10 months ago after a horrible stay in hospital. I had had 3 episodes of severe lightheadedness in 2 days and decided to visit my GP. He did the usual health check and advised I visit the local eye hospital straight away as he thought I may have Acute Glaucoma. Once at the hospital I was kept waiting for 4 hrs and the nurses tried on numerous occasion to take my blood pressure but to no avail! I think it was that high that it wouldnt register on the machine. I eventually saw the Optitian and she had me admitted but would not give me a reason until I has seen a Medical doctor, I was then left again sitting alone (by this time it was 1am) in AMU waiting for a bed. The following morning I had a CAT scan to rule out brain bleeds which was clear, and that evening I had a Lumbar Puncture to test the pressure in my brain, it was slightly ellivated but within normal range. The following day I had an MRI of my brain to rule out a brain tumor, again, it was clear, all through this my blood pressure was extremely high and I was kept in for 5 days. I started having my anxiety attacks while in hospital because I had convinced myself that I was going to die and never see my children again:weep:.I have been suffering every day since and although all my tests where clear and it has all been put down to anxiety, I cannot shake the feeling that I will have an early demise even though I know this is totally irrational. I seem to have a new symptom almost every week and this just kicks me off again! Today I have been getting a fuzzy head with pressure in my ears and also a strange feeling at the back of my eyes, I just feel like I am going to go mental any minute, If anyone had any comforting words it would be greatly appreiciated, so fed up today.

LollyPolly
21-07-13, 17:26
hello and welcome.
i wish i could take it all away, but unfortunately i cannot :hugs:. I can't take mine away also.

all that you described is pretty much the norm among our little community... i myself went from 3-4 PAs within a few months, to GAD. Same story pretty much ... One thing that helped me is letting go (as much as possible). Just trying to relax when it happens and let it go through me. If you pay attention, it comes as a wave and it eventually goes away, whatever the worry or feeling that is. And also very helpful to remember that these are only feelings with no real power of harming us... just a sensation.

there are a few good pinup threads on the forum, have a read through, it will give a lot of very helpful information on how to deal with it and various techniques.

we're here if you need. all the best :hugs:

Speranza
21-07-13, 17:34
:welcome:

Gingernut
21-07-13, 17:48
Thanks for your reply, It really does help knowing that I'm not alone in all of this, I think I find it hard to deal with as my support comes from friends at work, my mother (who is struggling with Vertigo) and my daughter (who I know I should burden with this as she is only 16) and none from my husband, he just glazes over and tells me I'll be ok. I find I lapse when I don't see my Councellor and due to 1 thing or another it will have been a 3 week gap between appointments, I'm also coming to the end of my sessions and now feel that I will struggle when I have to stop seeing her, hopefully finding this site and people in the same/similar boat will help me to get back to a more 'normal' me, if you know what I mean, anyway thanks again:hugs:

flori
21-07-13, 18:30
Hi Gingernut and :welcome: to the site. Hope you find the help and support you are looking for.

almamatters
21-07-13, 18:51
Hi :welcome: hope you find this site as much help as I do.

Gingernut
21-07-13, 22:10
Thanks all for your replies :)

Darbysa
22-07-13, 08:21
Hi Gingernut
As Lollypop says, most of what you describe sounds very familiar. It's hardly surprising you are feeling this way after your experience. In a way it's good that you had all those tests and that they showed no cause for concern but being kept in hospital for 5 days must have been worrying. How is your blood pressure now? Have you been given anything to treat it? The fuzzy head and ear pressure is one of the first signs for me that my anxiety is on the rise. For me I try to keep busy and distract myself. Not always easy but I find it helps. This site is a godsend as it reminds me I am not alone and whilst I wouldn't wish anxiety or panic on anyone it does help to share on here.
Hope you feel a bit better today.
Take care x

cityheart
22-07-13, 16:41
Hi Gingernut,
That does sound like a really stressful experience! I spent one night in the hospital last year for what turned out to be anxiety and I never shut my eyes for a minute because of the same fears you were having, so I can't imagine several days. I also have pressure in my ears quite often and sometime ringing and it seems anxiety related. I notice it more when I stand up quickly. It often causes me to feel dizzy.
I hope you can get some relief from some of the members and suggestion on this site.
Best,
Cityheart

SarahH
22-07-13, 16:59
Welcome,

We are all here to support each other and give as much info as possible. Sometimes knowing that others have the same symptoms helps you realise that anxiety is frightening. For those lucky people who never fell "The Fear" it is impossible to understand. I live with my 23yr old daughter so I know what it is like to try not to "dump" on your child.
You could ask for more sessions with your therapist.
I am lucky that I have a Clinical Psychologist who I see weekly to talk to.

The fear of dying is a classic Health Anxiety symptom. I find NMP fantastic for support and info....I hope you will too.

Sarah

Daisy Sue
22-07-13, 17:06
Hi and welcome :) Yep I would agree that a lot of your symptoms sound like acute anxiety.. I remember feeling drunk-dizzy when mine was at its' worst, and I wouldn't believe it was only anxiety, for months.

Is there any way you could have a regular massage or some other relaxation treatment? And then see if you notice some of weird feelings lifting? It might give you reassurance that it really is stress and anxiety, which in turn will help give you confidence & stop the worry so much.

Gingernut
22-07-13, 18:12
Hi again, When I was let out of hospital I was advised to see my GP about my BP, he told me to monitor it for a week at home (morning and evening), it was that high at home that I could no longer do it myself, I had to get my daughter to write it in the book without showing me. Every time I visited the GP he would say it was within a normal range for a woman of my age and said I didn't require any medication. So it is only high when I am at home:shrug: I will try and get some more sessions with my Councellor but I think I have already had more sessions than I was supposed to. :oopsie: