PDA

View Full Version : no more citalopram

joseph83
21-07-13, 18:47
Now this may be a bit controversial and I don't mean to offend anyone because I know how it feels to be rock bottom.
Last September I had my first recognised bout of depression and anxiety, I was prescribed 20ml citalopram and was on them for 9 months... Although I think they did help to a certain extent, I also believe they made me boring and zombie like. I decided to stop taking them last month....I know I shouldn't of gone cold turkey and I don't recommend it....since coming off them I decided to make some radical lifestyle changes....these changes have been the most important factor in becoming happier. My moods now are quite up and dn but that's natural. I'm back to being the happy, sometimes grumpy and altogether a lot more sociable. I'm not saying that anyone should copy me but I think the empathise should be a lot more on making those changes in your life that will make you happy instead of dosing us all up on drugs.
I understand its hard to get out of the hole your in, but get out, see friends, get active and start smiling.....good luck guys x

Ally-SA
21-07-13, 19:01
Yay that's great Joseph! :D Glad you are happier...

I went off my meds in Feb - and felt great for a while after, but now I'm doing not that great and am considering going back on to meds. Will see though...

Take care! :)

joseph83
21-07-13, 19:09
You have to do what's best for you, I hope things get better! :)

Magic
21-07-13, 19:11
Good positive post Joseph. I did the same as you. I cannot say I will never need the drug again, but I know it's there for me:)

Stormsky
21-07-13, 19:13
I did same 2 yrs ago.. Best decision I've made coming off meds.

Sparkle1984
21-07-13, 19:20
Didn't the doctor tell you to reduce to 10mg first before coming off them? That's what I plan to do, if I ever do decide to come off them for a second time.

The first time I came off citalopram earlier this year (because my doctor and I thought I was fully recovered, what a mistake that was!), I was only ever on 10mg and I tapered off over a period of 5 weeks. 4 weeks after being off them completely I suffered a relapse so in May I had to go back on them. This is in spite of me making lifestyle changes while I was on them. This time I'm on 20mg as the 10mg didn't seem to work for me anymore once I'd reinstated.

I plan to stay on the 20mg until next summer at least. Then I'll stay on 10mg I don't know how long for. I just don't want a repeat of what happened to me earlier this year - that relapse really knocked me for six.

Some people may not like it that I stay on medication long term, but the way I see it is that life is to be lived, not endured. Otherwise "life" would be called "endurance". I didn't choose to have a chemical imbalance, but I believe I should be able enjoy a full life like everyone else. If it was a thyroid problem (for example), I'd be able to take medication long term so why shouldn't I be able to do so for anxiety/depression?

There is no way I'd have been able to make lifestyle changes without being on medication, as I was so low that I didn't have the motivation to do anything. Still the recommended approach is to do CBT and lifestyle changes whilst being on medication. :)

I've just started reading a mindfulness book, so hopefully that will help me. Maybe one day I'll be able to come off medication, but I don't get any negative side effects from being on them (apart from in the first few weeks) so there's no rush for me to come off them.

joseph83
21-07-13, 19:33
I didn't consult my doc, that's why I said I wouldn't recommend anybody copy me. I would never judge anybody that decides to stay on them, that's not the idea behind this post. You have to do what's best for yiu but I wanted to share my experience with everybody. I believe citalopram turned me into a different person so had to get off them. Anyway good luck

jacks1769
21-07-13, 19:59
Hi
I'm back on fit after a 2 yr break, had a recent stressful job and other worries so hit a black spot. Got ibs I think too and having blood tests. Cit helped me hugely first time round and only ever took 10 mg, now on 10 again so fingers crossed this will be enough.
Worried about putting weight on but can't not take just coz of this fear, want to be happy and coping better on them. New job to start in mid aug so few weeks to get back to norm.
Trying to accep that anxiety and depression is a condition to accept and treat.
Thinking about doing cbt and getting some self treating books.
Constantly yawning but no that's a SE on cit, not as anxious this week either unlike first two weeks.
Fingers crossed, I really need to start my job.

Jacks

jayjoe18
21-07-13, 20:41
Didn't the doctor tell you to reduce to 10mg first before coming off them? That's what I plan to do, if I ever do decide to come off them for a second time.

The first time I came off citalopram earlier this year (because my doctor and I thought I was fully recovered, what a mistake that was!), I was only ever on 10mg and I tapered off over a period of 5 weeks. 4 weeks after being off them completely I suffered a relapse so in May I had to go back on them. This is in spite of me making lifestyle changes while I was on them. This time I'm on 20mg as the 10mg didn't seem to work for me anymore once I'd reinstated.

I plan to stay on the 20mg until next summer at least. Then I'll stay on 10mg I don't know how long for. I just don't want a repeat of what happened to me earlier this year - that relapse really knocked me for six.

Some people may not like it that I stay on medication long term, but the way I see it is that life is to be lived, not endured. Otherwise "life" would be called "endurance". I didn't choose to have a chemical imbalance, but I believe I should be able enjoy a full life like everyone else. If it was a thyroid problem (for example), I'd be able to take medication long term so why shouldn't I be able to do so for anxiety/depression?

There is no way I'd have been able to make lifestyle changes without being on medication, as I was so low that I didn't have the motivation to do anything. Still the recommended approach is to do CBT and lifestyle changes whilst being on medication. :)

I've just started reading a mindfulness book, so hopefully that will help me. Maybe one day I'll be able to come off medication, but I don't get any negative side effects from being on them (apart from in the first few weeks) so there's no rush for me to come off them.

Even though I've never taken meds myself I totally agree with everything you said here Sparkle, why endure life when you could potentially enjoy it with a little medical help.

Sparkle1984
21-07-13, 21:08
I didn't consult my doc, that's why I said I wouldn't recommend anybody copy me. I would never judge anybody that decides to stay on them, that's not the idea behind this post. You have to do what's best for yiu but I wanted to share my experience with everybody. I believe citalopram turned me into a different person so had to get off them. Anyway good luck

It's OK, I know everyone reacts differently to these meds. :) If they were making you feel worse, then I can see why you came off them. I'm glad you've found a way forward now. :)

Edie
21-07-13, 22:18
Hi Joseph, it's great you're doing so well without medication.

I came off meds several times, always against my doctor's advice. I seem to get bad reactions to every antidepressant I've tried and they make me worse, but because I was so lethargic and uncommunicative I wasn't complaining of feeling bad, my doctors thought I was better. Sometimes disobeying the doctors is the right thing to do.

If meds work for you and help you feel better, then by all means take them. Sometimes a short course can ease your symptoms enough to make the necessary changes, other people need them more long term. I don't think there's anything wrong with meds at all, unless they make you feel worse.