PDA

View Full Version : should i go for this xray?

debbsi
22-07-13, 11:54
Hi
Just wanted other peoples opinions.

A few weeks ago I had a sore throat which led to a chesty cough, this lasted about 2-3 weeks then went. 2 weeks later whilst camping I started coughing again, I started to obsess on this and the advert on TV about going to your GP with a cough lasting longer than 3 weeks made me panic. I was only coughing a few times a day, mostly after food, and I have for as long as I can remember had to clear my throat a lot after eating.

So I went to my GP hoping for reassurance, hoped he would say its nothing to worry about. But no - as I had gone because of the ad he automatically referred me for a chest xray. I said do I really need one, he said he was sending me to put my mind at rest. So now Im panicking about it, its not the procedure but the waiting for the results I cant cope with.

Ive now been feeling sick all week due to this - I barely cough anymore, and Im sure its all due to anxiety.

My dilemma is now - do I really need this xray, should I cancel it? I dont have a bad cough, when I do cough its not productive. However the anxious part of my mind says I should go, as if I dont and get another cough I'll wish I had been.

Grrrr damn this anxiety, if it wasnt for the anxiety I would never have gone in the first place, I would have waited to see if it went.

Gee
22-07-13, 12:02
I had a similar thing with a blood test, I'd just go - it will be nothing and you'll be fine but it will rest your mind, I was scared in a few weeks I'd think oh no why didn't I do it now I'm worrying again x

debbsi
22-07-13, 12:06
Hi
thanks for the reply, I think your right I should go as if I dont I will worry that I didnt go. I just feel Im giving in to my anxiety.

Gee
22-07-13, 12:20
You won't be giving in if you go and when you get the all OK forget it :)

Speranza
22-07-13, 12:23
I'd go if you have got this far, but determine to use the clear X-ray as reassurance. x

joelhall
22-07-13, 12:26
The only advice I can give is, whenever you are offered a medical test, always do it.

mummyanxious
22-07-13, 12:27
If you don't go will you regret not going and worry about the fact you should have gone?

debbsi
22-07-13, 12:35
thanks guys, I know your all right, oh well I will go, I hope they dont make me wait too long for results x

Darren1
22-07-13, 12:57
i dont think you could live with it if you didn't go? im sure if the cough is better then obviously it's nothing. im waiting for results atm :)

almamatters
22-07-13, 17:29
I would go for the X Ray , if you don't you will always be wondering. :) x

debbsi
22-07-13, 17:46
well I went, now the wait for the results - I hate this bit :(

AlexandriaUK
22-07-13, 18:24
If you hear nothing within about 3 days it will be fine, coughs are so annoying but like everyone else has said, if you dont go a week later you will wish you had, I have been sent an appointment for a mamagram and thought should I shouldnt I but best to go.

unsure_about_this
22-07-13, 18:37
Hi

I would go for the X ray. I have asked for scans and have not turned them down when offered for me. It was for my piece of mind to show nothing was serious wrong with me. I was concerned I had bowel cancer as well as countless other cancers in the abdominal area. All my scans have shown nothing to be serious wrong with me

backfromthebrink
23-07-13, 12:02
I had a chest x-ray years ago, and the radiographer told me immediately after that it looked normal but for a definite result, see my GP. But I was given a provisional result immediately. If that helps. It was also a very simple easy procedure.

However, my fear is exposure to radiation and whether that was necessary - I was having some chest pain and had been referred to the breast clinic but that came back ok. So a chest x-ray was my GP's next suggestion, although I think - like you - he was only doing it because of my anxiety. Which is why I later wondered if I should have done it, since I could have avoided that radiation. Nothing was found on the x-ray, and I never did get a conclusive answer for the pain.

mummyanxious
23-07-13, 12:07
So glad you decided to go. Hopefully you can relax soon x

Speranza
23-07-13, 12:08
If you hear nothing within about 3 days it will be fine, coughs are so annoying but like everyone else has said, if you dont go a week later you will wish you had, I have been sent an appointment for a mamagram and thought should I shouldnt I but best to go.

I did the same. I was really pleased as I noticed a small puckered area on my breast a week before, and she was able to reassure me there was nothing abnormal.

debbsi
31-07-13, 21:10
Well I finally got the results back - of course they were negative. Maybe that will teach me to stop running to the Dr!!

mummyanxious
31-07-13, 21:26
Great news :D