PDA

View Full Version : Constant lower back ache :(

pink
22-07-13, 12:53
Hi
I'm so hoping someone may be able to help, a little background, I'm 38, and have been having heavy longer periods for last few months.At Christmas for about a month my lower back started aching and I went for a scan which showed possible polyps and fibroids. I was told if there was anything to worry about my gynaechologist would contact me but she never did. About 5 weeks ago my back started aching again and has never gone off since; and at times really hurts. My GP has given me painkillers and I asked to go back to see the consultant, which is in 2 weeks.
I'm driving myself mad with worry that she was wrong and that the 'possible polyps' have turned cancerous and it's spread to my lower back??? Please please if anyone can help I'd be so grateful
Thankyou so much for reading xxx

Helen1989
22-07-13, 13:03
Hi pink.... Ok so mine is a little different to you but I believe the pain is on par with what ur going through. I have polycystic ovarys :-( its a bugger & my lower back, hips & tummy hurt constantly. I do also have ibs so have all over tummy ache. It's horrible. Have you tryed co-codydramol, it might help a little. Really feel for u hope they get it sorted for you soon take care xxx

emlica
24-07-13, 14:24
Hi there - anything gynaecological can cause pain in your lower back, I think. I get back pain with my menstrual cramps - so I don't think pain in your lower back means anything has 'spread'. My guess - and it's a guess, based partly on what my mum went through - is that your possible fibroids are indeed fibroids and they've grown and are putting pressure on the whole area. Especially given your scan showing possible fibroids, combined with the heavier periods, I don't think there's any need to jump straight to the cancer theory (though it's so easy isn't it - bloody everything 'could be cancer' if you google the wrong thing!). My mum (and my nan, so I guess there's not much hope for me, eh?) both had large fibroids that eventually caused symptoms very much like what you've described.

pink
28-07-13, 14:32
Hi
Thankyou so much for the replies. I don't think i doing very well,can't stop googling (I know it's the worse thing). Have read about a lady who started feeling poorly everyday with lower back ache and it turned out to be ovarian cancer? My scan in January showed that my ovaries looked normal but last year I had a complex cyst, am really really scared its come back cancerous, have felt so poorly this last week and this back ache won't go away, desperatley need some peace of mind :(((
Thankyou

Timo
29-07-13, 04:02
I had a lower back ache of and on for a few months and as small of a change as not crossing my legs when sitting, fixed my back in a few days.

emlica
31-07-13, 14:30
jssmprime29, if your lower back is just around your period and is just like a dull ache then I don't think you have anything to worry about at all; back ache is pretty common as a result of menstrual cramps. If it's really bothering you and affecting your life then you could consider seeing your doctor about possible solutions (which might include the birth control pill, for instance).

pink - step away from Dr Google :D The problem with googling ovarian cancer symptoms is that they're so vague in the early stages that tummy bugs and period pain can make you think OMG I HAVE CANCER! (I've so been there - mine is all digestive issues). You might have a cyst - if they're large they can cause pain and other symptoms, but even a large complex cyst does NOT automatically mean cancer. Most cysts are harmless, even the ones that cause symptoms are more often benign than not.

Of course, back ache could be completely muscular as well, especially if you're tense so maybe you're sitting oddly at work, not relaxing properly, etc etc. And as for feeling poorly - I bet that's at least partly the stress. It's less than a week til your appointment now, isn't it? Prepare yourself for that - make sure you know everything you want to ask so there's no chance of you coming away from it thinking 'OK so they've reassured me about X and Y... but oh no I didn't ask them about Z!'

Helen1989
08-08-13, 17:58
Don't worry I google everything !! & it always says the same horrible things :-( I would push for another scan. My last scan was internal & lasted 35mins they were very good & checked everything twice. You will be fine :-) xxx

applewine
16-08-13, 00:24
You should look up myofascial trigger points. Find some books on the subject. There is a good e-book out there on the subject and also another by the same guy on just the lower back. Search for the name "Paul Ingraham".

Also, avoid bad posture, get a b-complex and mutlivitamin and don't drink alcohol, coffee or tea.