PDA

View Full Version : A quick question...

Just Some Guy
22-07-13, 13:46
Hi there,

For anyone who hasn't come across the "Introduce Yourself" post I put up you can see it in the relevant forum (can't post it here as I'm under 10 posts atm).

I have not been officially diagnosed with GAD, but upon reading the symptoms and knowing my recent experiences I suspect I have some form of it at present. Since the events in my introduction post (above) my resting heart rate has risen to be consistently between 75-85, previously it was always in the 60-75 range.

My question is, is it normal for someone with GAD to have an increased resting heart rate due to the body being under a state of constant anxiety? Obviously it goes up when in the throes of a full blown panic attack but I'm talking more "sitting on the sofa" activity here.

Thanks in advance for allaying my anxiety-induced concerns! :D

Darbysa
22-07-13, 13:59
Hello
I think you'll find it's "normal" for the heart rate to be elevated when you are anxious. The very fact that you are checking it means you are thinking about it and can raise it even though you may not be consciously anxious. It's funny how we all over think these things. There is a user on this site who is currently concerned that her heart rate is too low at 62. I would say that is very healthy. Mine is currently similar to yours now I've done a check but I did have a bad day yesterday. I'm sure when I'm not thinking about it it will be lower but then again, how would I know?!
Take care

Just Some Guy
22-07-13, 14:37
Hi,

Thanks for replying. :)

Your response has reassured me, and reinforced what I guess I already knew but was just seeking some form of clarification. I did wake up and have a pretty intense panic attack last night so I guess my body is still riding the remnants of that wave on a chemical level.

Worrying about it being 62? Oh wow!