PDA

View Full Version : Really need reassurance and help for uni !

ellie14
22-07-13, 13:52
Hi ,

I'm due to start uni in September , which is scary for everyone i know but i have extreme anxiety about it .

I started to dip out of high school and college because of anxiety a few years back and although i made it through there was definitely some avoidance from me. I found and still find sitting in a quiet place like a classroom really difficult because i would get panicky and then my stomach would go all over the place and make horrible loud noises . This made me very embarassed and i developed a fear of it happening .

I want to go to uni but am very scared about the classroom situation again. I worry about what everyone will think all the time and going to new places alone terrifies me. I worry about it and the future everyday.

Has anyone else felt this scared before uni ?

How does an anxiety sufferer make it through ?

Any tips and replies would be gratefully recieved !

Edie
22-07-13, 14:29
When I was at school the timetable was such that, after the journey to school we then had 2 hours of lessons before our first break. EVERYONE'S tummies were rumbling by that time!

I started uni last year, and have just completed my first year. It hasn't been a smooth ride, but I have made it, and I have made some lovely friends.

With anxiety, you may be entitled to something called Disabled Student Allowance. This is not a cash payment, but can help to fund aids or a support worker to help you at uni. Having someone to go and talk to about stuff can make a real difference. I was given a dictaphone so I could record lectures if I had to leave the room.

This website tells you a bit about DSA and has a form you can download if you want to apply for it: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview Unless you ticked the "I have a disability" box on your student loan application, in which case it should already be happening.

You just have to provide medical evidence of your disability/illness, such as a letter from your GP, and once they approve your application you have an assessment. It's not like a benefits assessment, they will try and give you as much as they can.

Marie-Pierre
22-07-13, 14:55
Hello Edie! Do you know eft? The emotinal freedom technique is very helpful to work on emotion like fear, or sensation like anxiety. If you don't know about it, I can explain to you this simple and efficient method.

jayjoe18
22-07-13, 15:33
I used to be the same as you when I was at high school/sixth form, so much so that I taught myself GCSE's at home for the last year/year and half. I managed sixth form but didn't last long and had to give it up unfortunately. So I firstly want to say well done for getting this far despite your problems, we aren't all that brave so you have done really well! :D I would love to be able to go to Uni if only my anxiety didn't hold me back. Obviously as I've never been I can't give you much advice but from what I understand Uni is much more relaxed than school/college, I don't think everything is as set in stone as it is with your lessons at school etc. I think alot of people can come and go, and if you feel you need to, you can leave lectures. I hear alot from people who did go that they hardly ever go to lectures, so I guess it's not as strict and you can do more studying alone, in libraries etc. Obviously it's not good to miss the lectures but I think it would ease my anxiety personally if I knew I was able to leave if I got too worked up (I too get stomach problems and worry about stomach noises and needing the loo etc, it's horrible when it's something physical that you can't control!) Don't let the anxiety ruin going to Uni, I wish I'd of been abit more tough and got there, hopefully I will one day. Also, do you take any meds or anything? Maybe there is something you could take when you first start Uni to keep the nerves from getting out of control just whilst you get used to the place?

ellie14
22-07-13, 20:19
Thanks for your advice Edie , i'm actually meeting up with the student services support people to soon to put some comforts into place so that should be good .

JayJoe thanks for telling me i'm brave , means alot , especially since i feel so weak sometimes ! I taught myself my GCSE's too , but i found college a bit more relaxing , hopefully uni will be the same . Yeah i feel like that , im letting people know at the uni so that if i want to go out i can and that people are aware whats up . I hate the stomach issues , is there anything you have found that works for you ? Im not on any meds , would like some but the doctors arent too keen on giving them to me, they make me feel bad for even asking to be honest , they think counselling is the way.

Thanks alot for your reassurance :) Im trying to be more positive about myself and the situation !

jayjoe18
23-07-13, 21:10
Hi Ellie, yeah I found college was much better than school despite the anxiety! I'm pretty sure Uni will be even better. That's a really good idea to tell them, it does make things easier for everyone when they know, do you plan to tell other students? That's what I struggled with, telling friends, wish I had though now as I wouldn't be in as much of a mess as I am now. Unfortunately I've not found anything that helps the stomach issues, obviously I think the better control you have on the anxiety will help as its usually the anxiety causing the physical symptoms. But how you control the anxiety, I don't know. I've had therapy and I'm doing CBT for the second time at the moment specifically for my stomach/toilet issues though its not really helping much so far, I think I need to get a grip on the social anxiety first as I've been told the worry over your stomach stems from social anxiety and fear of being embarrassed. Are you doing any therapy? I think I want to take meds too, but I'm scared to because of my past health anxiety issues though my doctors have prescribed me them. I think if you can try therapy first and see if that helps it's the best idea. It's always best to try everything else before meds, but if the therapy doesn't help your doctor will probably be more willing to try medication. Even if it's just beta blockers just to keep your stomach calm or something!