PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing this to myself?

Edie
22-07-13, 19:30
I'm sorry for the long post, but there's a lot to say. I don't know whether I'm ill or just crazy.

I've had depression and anxiety for many years, including cycling in and out of more severe episodes, but it's become much more stable over the past 2 years. I am definitely not cured, but things are stable and predictable, and I do not get the severe episodes any more.

About 10 years ago I was prescribed a new antidepressant, and from the very first day I took it, I was totally floored, could not stay awake for more than about 4 hours at a time, falling asleep at work and getting sent home after an hour, and just sleeping nearly all of the time. After a week I stopped taking it for 2 days so I could physically get to a doctor's appointment. He said it was most definitely not the antidepressant causing it and I must re-start taking it immediately, but suggested taking half a tablet, alternate days. For the next 2 weeks I slept all day on the days I took it, and felt a little better on the days inbetween. So I stopped taking it, and went back to the doctor to tell him I wasn't going to take it any more as I needed to go back to work after taking 3 weeks off due to not being able to physically get there.

Things gradually improved, but ever since then I've struggled with general tiredness (for a few years I was sleeping 10-12 hours per night and still struggling during the day), and also sudden attacks of severe tiredness when I would sleep all day long.

I had previously been a keen walker and cyclist, but I had to give this up, and also had to drop my hours at work as I was just going sick all the time as I couldn't stay awake. I had to drop my entire social life in order to cope with 4x6-hour working days, and the severe attacks seemed totally unpredictable and would hit me out of nowhere.

Throughout this period I was seeing my GP and counsellors who told me I was just lazy, that depression was causing this lack of motivation, and I must start doing more exercise. I tried to increase my activity, but after a few days I was completely floored again.

All the antidepressants I tried made me feel even more tired. Eventually I was referred to a psychiatrist to try and find a medication that would help. He asked me about my tiredness, and the onset, and concluded that it was a separate illness called ME. I never pursued this because I just thought it meant lazy, like all the doctors and counsellors had been telling me.

In the end, after 7 years of this, my doctor referred me to an immunologist. He acknowledged that I have depression and anxiety, but felt that the tiredness had a separate onset and he also diagnosed ME. He referred me on for treatment, but at this point I moved house to a new area.

My new GP referred me to a new immunologist. By this point I had done some research into ME and realised it explained a lot of my other symptoms, as I was also getting a lot of aches and pains (I had just thought I was really unfit, or that it was psychosomatic symptoms of depression). I believed I did have ME after all. The new immunologist asked a lot of questions about my anxiety and depression and told me to think positive. I was quite upset after the appointment, as I felt he had disregarded the physical symptoms and put it all down to depression. However, he sent me a copy of his write-up, concluding that I had moderate ME, of separate onset to my depression, and again I was referred for treatment.

The treatment consisted of a "lifestyle management programme," which was a group of about 10 of us who met at the hospital for 8 consecutive weeks and they told us ME was probably not curable, but can be managed to give us a better quality of life. They basically told us everything they know about how to manage ME for the best. (I fell asleep during some of the sessions :unsure: )

The main thing I learned about was something called "post exertional malaise" (PEM). This is a delayed fatigue that happens 1-2 days after you overdo things. All of a sudden these "unpredictable" attacks made sense. I'd been waking up feeling OK and trying to do absolutely everything, because I didn't know when my next OK day would be. And then I would collapse a couple of days later. They advised us to pace our activity. So if you wake up feeling OK, don't go and do everything, just do some things, and then do some more the next day. That way you don't overdo it and get PEM, but you have more steady and predictable energy levels instead.

The difference this has made to my life has been phenominal. I spread all my tasks out throughout the week and don't collapse and sleep all day very often any more. I don't have to cancel all my plans at short notice because of feeling so ill, which means I can confidently make plans now. I am a reliable employee who has not gone sick for 3 years because I spread my activity more carefully and make sure I go to bed at sensible times even if I feel like I could stay up later.

This was in 2011, and also coincides with my mental health becoming more stable. I feel like it's given me a life back. OK, so I can't go walking and cycling like I used to, it's not quite the same life, but it's A life. I have taken up some more sedentary hobbies which I enjoy a lot. If I never get better than this, I will have a very happy life.

But I had to renew my DLA application, and so I went to my GP to update him on things and show him an activity diary I'd kept for the previous week to illustrate things, because some people on an ME support forum told me it was helpful for doctors to see how much (or little) you're actually managing. I was telling him how I pace my activity much better and make sure I get enough sleep, and I'm much more stable now. I said I was very pleased that I was recently able to start some short, slow bike rides. I said I was having some difficulty because my pains sometimes affect my sleep, which I hate because I know I'll feel rough the next day if I don't get enough sleep. I was hoping for something to help with the pain, but he just said take paracetamol, which really doesn't touch the sides, and wears off half-way through the night anyway. But mainly I wanted to make it clear that I am still ill, in case the DLA people asked him.

Well, he wasn't too happy about this, especially the activity diary. He said I was just obsessed with my sleep and energy levels. He said that lots of people suffer bereavements and I clearly needed bereavement counselling and if I didn't go then I was only bringing this on myself. (I hadn't actually mentioned my bereavement 14 months prior at this appointment, but the bereavement counsellor told me I seemed to have a really healthy attitude to my bereavement and didn't need to see her again, which was what I felt at the time anyway really.) He said 1/3 of his patients have exactly the same problem and they aren't claiming disability benefits like me, and I should just get a job (erm . . . I already have one).

This was last August, and since then I've started university. I struggled for a period and contacted the ME clinic. They suggested I ask my GP to refer me back to them as they felt the advice I was asking for was more than they could really help with without seeing me. Well, I told my GP I was considering quitting uni as I couldn't cope, and could he refer me to the ME clinic to see if they can help me manage things better so I can stay on. I didn't mean to be emotive, I just wanted to be honest about how severe the problem was. He said I was not at all ill and only believed I was. He said he would not refer me for therapy or prescribe me antidepressants because I wouldn't co-operate, and that I knew what I needed to do, which left me totally confused because I was asking for a referral to someone who can advise me because I DIDN'T know what to do!

He has started referring to my ME as "this fatigue thing you think you've got." This is upsetting. It actually took a long time for the doctors to convince me I had ME instead of just laziness. I have now been diagnosed with ME by 3 consultants. I have responded well to the suggested management strategies for people with ME and am achieving more than I was before. I am no longer missing work, although I have missed one day of college where I went home at lunchtime because I was feeling too ill (this was when I told my tutor I felt I needed to leave the course and I was also very upset which may have contributed). My mental health is so much more stable and I have had NO mental health crises at all since adopting this new strategy - despite the aforementioned close, sudden bereavement. So does it even matter whether I have ME or not, if I am doing better as a result of the management strategies - I certainly have something, and this helps, so does it matter whether you call it ME or purple flying pants disease?

But then, the doctor I see now, maybe he can see something the consultants didn't. I'm really starting to doubt myself. Maybe I don't really have ME after all. Maybe these past 10 years of illness and giving up my hobbies, maybe I've done this all to myself.

I tried to do some more activity. I've worked a few days of overtime and been on some outings. I thought I would be OK to do these extra things because I didn't really have an illness, but then I was totally floored by pain and fatigue again, which I wasn't expecting. I spent about 3 hours lying on my kitchen floor one day last week because every time I stood up to get food, I fainted. It was terrifying at the time, I thought I'd be stuck there forever, but this is exactly the kind of thing the doctor is talking about I'm doing it all to myself.

I can't see how I can ever get better from this. I do stuff and think I will be fine, but unconsciously I believe I will feel ill, and that makes me feel ill. But this has been going on for 10 years now and I can't see how it can be undone. How can I discuss this with a therapist if I'm so totally unaware of my unconscious thoughts? How can I be so delusional that I've lost 10 years of my life to this craziness, and even managed to fool 3 consultants and the DLA people? There really is no hope for someone this crazy.

I don't really know what to do with myself now. I feel exhausted and like I need a really good rest for a few days. I'm struggling more than usual with anxiety and depression (nowhere near crisis yet, just worse than normal - it could just be a blip, but if I'm poorly that would be a common thing that used to trigger the bad episodes off). According to what I learned in the ME clinic, I should rest now. But if I'm just bringing this all on myself I should be getting out and doing more sport. I know this is what my doctor would advise. But then if I do have ME after all, that will make me more ill. AAARRRGH!!!

And if you've read all that then YOU will also be feeling fatigued now!

Ccat
22-07-13, 23:20
i really don't think you have been doing this to yourself hun!

I think it just sounds like this doctor is dismissive about ME to be honest- I think some of them are unfortunately!

As you say how could all the previous ones be wrong ?

Its bad enoguh that you've been ill withut blaming yourself xxx:hugs:

Speranza
22-07-13, 23:24
Gosh, what a story!

Obviously I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that there are still doctors who are rubbish with mental health issues. ME is a physical issue of course, but very entwined with mental health and I suspect there are doctors who don't believe in it, just as there are a few teachers who think kids with dyslexia just aren't trying.

:hugs:

Gingernut
23-07-13, 00:47
My niece suffers from ME and experiences the same symptoms as you, so no, its not all your own doing! Is there any chance you can change your GP as the one you have doesn't appear to be very understanding.
Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Edie
23-07-13, 03:37
In my last appointment with the GP I talked about above I just really couldn't understand what he was saying. Every time I asked, "do you mean . . . " he started shouting at me, "how dare you accuse me of saying that?" I left the appointment no clearer what his medical advice was, and in floods of tears after being shouted at.

I tried seeing a different GP after that, and he asked me how I was after being so argumentative and distressed last time. I started trying to explain my interpretation of what happened, but quickly realised he wasn't believing a word of it, so I gave up.

The new GP then decided I was addicted to codeine. I take a very low dose as it's the only thing that's ever controlled my IBS, after my diarrhoea got so bad I was soiling myself, and late for work nearly every day due to being stuck on the toilet, or collapsing at work after spending half an hour in the loo. Codeine has changed my life. I never could have considered applying to uni before codeine. (It takes an hour just to drive there - I never would have made the journey!)

He referred me to a gastroenterologist, saying, "I think you've got Crohn's disease," and said I couldn't have more codeine unless I agreed to a colonoscopy.

Having a phobia of all things surgical, I was terrified, but had to agree to it. I was also terrified of having Crohn's as that requires operations, but after reading about it on the internet I was reassured I didn't have the symptoms.

The gastroenterologist talked to me as if I was an idiot. After the colonoscopy showed nothing he said he hoped I was reassured now. I was reassured all along, I know it's just IBS, it's my GP who thinks it's something else. Gastroenterologist did write to my GP in December telling him in no uncertain terms that I need to take codeine long term though!

I saw yet another GP last time I went to ask for more codeine, about a month ago. It was taken off repeat over concerns I was addicted, so my GP could grill me about how much I take. The GP asked why it wasn't on repeat and I just said my GP was concerned about addiction, but I told her honestly how much I take, that I sometimes vary the dose within the parameters set by my GP (sometimes increasing, sometimes reducing), and that my biggest issue was remembering to take it so really didn't feel I could be having the cravings the GP said I was. She rolled her eyes and said, "oh, for goodness sake, it's back on repeat!"

I think maybe I need to stick with this one. The only thing is, she's very popular and it's difficult to get an appointment with her. But I think I'll book one tomorrow as I think I need to ask about my recent ME relapse, even though I may be better by the time the appointment comes around!

But then, the one that shouted at me seemed great to start with too, so we'll see how long it takes me to upset this new one.

Edie
29-07-13, 18:26
I've got an appointment on Wednesday, I can't believe I got one so quickly, I only phoned on Friday!

It's been 3 weeks now that I've been in this "relapse," and I really don't know what to think or how to get myself well. I'm so tired, but I'm also in pain which disturbs my sleep, so I can't find a way to resolve it. I've been having fainting attacks as well. I just want to feel better, but I can't benefit from therapy because I'm so out of touch with my unconscious thoughts that I'm unaware of them and therefore can't discuss them with a therapist. But hopefully this doctor, who seems sympathetic, will know what to suggest.

Freaked
29-07-13, 18:44
You're not doing this to yourself. That avenue of thought won't help with recovery. I have suspected postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (haven't had the test yet), and even though it came on with a terrible flu, I spent months trying to convince myself I had anxiety symptoms (though I was a final year psych student and knew better) just cos it seemed less scary. Was I less worried? Sure. Did I get better? Not a bit.

Edie
29-07-13, 22:56
I've written it all down for the doctor so hopefully she can decide what's going on and suggest something helpful.

Some days I don't feel like I can even get dressed, but maybe if I just push through it I will get myself well.

Edie
31-07-13, 18:46
I wrote a list of what's going on, and she reassured me that I have not injured myself as such, but it's all part of my fibromyalgia . . . Apparently I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year ago, but no one told me.

She has referred me to a rheumatologist, so hopefully I'll get some help with managing it the right way now.

Lilharry
01-08-13, 02:24
Hey Edie - I have many of the same symtoms as you. I don't have a definite diagnosis, but my counsellor suspects ME - I was sent for counselling because I was told I have issues, but my counsellor agrees that most of my issues are physical, not mental! I have suffered severe anxiety in the past, but was doing really well in general when I was suddenly struck down with severe fatigue. I also get the post exertional malaise. I have been told by numerous doctors that it's "just anxiety" and I need to chill out. Eventually I contacted the the local chronic fatigue association and ask them to let me know of sympathetic doctor in my area. Luckily there was one at the new doctor's practice I had just transferred to. She basically told me that there was nothing the medical profession could do for me and referred me to a naturopath who she said had helped other patients of hers. Best decision ever. I have had colonoscopies, gastroscopies, been to the hospital on a number of occasions and no one has any idea what is wrong with me. However, the naturopath has been treating me for adrenal fatigue, hormonal imbalance and candida overgrowth (which is often the cause of IBS) and I am starting to see results. I have a lot less pain and I'm sleeping better and my IBS is almost a thing of the past. I have days when I feel great and others where I feel extremely tired still, but I know it's going to be a long process of healing. I have had to change my diet dramatically, but I can feel that I am getting healthier.

I would recommend that you see someone who can actually help you - a holistic doctor or naturopath. Conventional medicine hasn't caught up with these issues yet and that's why you get a lot of push back from doctors who aren't experienced with it. I am so grateful that my doctor acknowledges this and referred me on to someone who could actually help. I would still be very sick if I had stuck it out with any of the doctors I had seen previously. Also, I was a total sceptic of alternative medicine and didn't want to see the naturopath, but I felt I might as well give it a go and I'm really glad I did. It has changed my view on a lot of things to do with my health and I can now see what aspects of my lifestyle (even ones I thought were healthy) I need to change in order to get well.

You are dealing with something physical here adn there are tons of things you can do to help yourself feel better. Don't listen to the doctors who put you down - they don't know what they're talking about.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it further.

Anxious_gal
01-08-13, 03:02
Just a quick reply, it seems a lot of people have been blaming you for being tired, as if you are doing something to cause it. Typical victim blaming!

If it's the depression, then it's that illness making you tired, it's not caused by you, if it's ME then that is the cause not you.

A lot of people with illnesses, from what I've read online find doctors and people in general blame them for being sick when it's not their fault.

I think you need to keeping getting tests as you've had a few doctors who seem to think there might be a psychical cause.

Saying that depression and anxiety have psychical causes too, the brain works differently and has some psychical differences to those that don't suffer from depression and anxiety.

But if you have some type of illnness that could be treated its best you try to find a proper doctor who is willing to help you figure it out and a doctor who doesn't mind you asking them questions.

An awful lot of general doctors are useless as diagnosing anything other than common things that are easily tested for, so you might want to try a specialist or a teaching hospital.