PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with the dentist?

samtheman
23-07-13, 15:01
This is something I really struggle with, most people hate the dentist but probably not for the reasons we hate it, I hate the trapped feeling, I mean your stuck in that chair with 2 people you don't know and there is damn all you can do about it your stuck there until they finish, my anxiety goes through the roof, my IBS gets into flight and I am trying my best not to have a panic attack, to make matters worse my dentist is a woman quite attractive, and the assistant a pretty looking young 20 something so obviously being a man I can't show myself up which adds more pressure and my social anxiety is ten times worse around women anyway. Then once you get past all that there is the normal things everyone hates such as the drilling, pulling and pushing etc etc. I've got the dentist tomorrow, 2 fillings needed which I've put of from last year and I am thinking about doing it again.

Does anyone else have these issue? How do you cope with the dentist?

nomorepanic
23-07-13, 15:02
I wrote this - have you read it at all?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/dental/

samtheman
23-07-13, 15:08
I wrote this - have you read it at all?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/dental/

Hi, nope never saw it, thanks for that, it describes me perfectly.

jayjoe18
23-07-13, 20:12
This is exactly me! Most people don't like the dentist anyway but I'm even more anxious for the same reasons, I hate feeling trapped and like I can't escape, I worry if I'll need the toilet etc. It's horrible. I went to the dentist just last week after putting it off since November, I got in such a state, funny tummy, panic all day, but, I managed it. It wasn't exactly easy but the anxiety became more manageable as I was there (anticipation was much worse!) it only took about 10 mins in total inc waiting and that was it, over. Later you think why did I get in such a state! Maybe you could tell them your nervous about dental work? (No need to mention social anxiety) I'm sure they will be understanding as many people get anxious at the dentist?