PDA

View Full Version : Really nervous :(

Em.ma
23-07-13, 19:41
I am having a blood test tomorrow.
The only one I've ever had I can't remember at all.

I'm needle phobic.
When I had the tetanus etc i was in tears crying and shaking so badly.

I'm so scared about tomorrow :(
Does anyone know what they feel like?

Stormsky
23-07-13, 19:44
I had one few weeks ago..
Was over quick, didnt feel it..
I didn't watch, looked away though

Em.ma
23-07-13, 19:48
Thanks.
I'm really terrified.
I don't know what off. It's not the blood coming out, it's the needle but I've never known whether its the pain or the fact that a needle is in my skin even if its not deep, :(

Speranza
23-07-13, 20:35
Hi Sweetheart, I used to be extremely needle phobic, the thought would make me come out in a sweat, cry hard and faint. (That was the THOUGHT not the actual thing!)

I decided never to have kids because it would involve blood tests (I reneged on that!)

I'm ok with them now - they are not my favourite thing but they are not a problem. I get a little anxious beforehand so I tell the nurse.

You will probably be asked to sit in a chair with special arms on, it's quite comfy. Try not to look at all the little bottles etc. The nurse will put a tourniquet around your arm, which feels tight - this is to make the veins prominent and CANNOT HARM YOU although you might feel a bit worried that it will because it feels tight. It CANNOT HARM YOU and it DOESN'T HURT. Focus on something else.

S/he will probably tap your arm a few times to check where to put the needle in. Make sure you have informed them about your phobia, they are brilliant.

The needle going in (I recommend not looking - I used to look, now I don't; it makes little difference except that because I looked I can picture it) doesn't hurt, it really does feel like a tiny pin prick. And then it will remain in place while s/he takes the blood, which will only take a few seconds. Ask how much is being taken (how many tiny phials) and what number you could count to until it is over. When s/he takes the needle out, you will probably be asked to hold a tiny cotton wool ball over the site while the tourniquet is adjusted over it for a minute or two to stop the bleeding. (You will not be bleeding a lot).

For me the worst part has always been the thought of the needle, and the fear it might break. In the end I did the sensible thing and asked every time I had bloods taken, and NOBODY has ever heard of that happening. It will not happen.

The first few times I had blood tests, I went very faint but that's not a problem, as long as they know you are very nervous they will be ready to deal with that. I haven't ever fainted.

I hope it goes well and that you feel really proud of yourself for ticking that one off your list! ;) xx

nomorepanic
23-07-13, 20:36
I still don't watch blood tests - I just look away and talk to the nurse to distract myself

Em.ma
23-07-13, 20:47
Thanks guys.
I will tell the nurse how nervous I am. I know most are very very good and I'm hoping its the nurse I've seen before to get a splinter out my foot but it says locum nurse on my card so I don't think it is.
I keep telling my self it can not harm me and is a few seconds of my life and nothing can go wrong.
I can feel my self feeling stressed if they struggle to find a vein though.
I will cry i know it. Then afterwards will realise its not that bad probably.

Pipkin
23-07-13, 21:03
Emma,

It will be a lot easier and quicker than having a splinter removed. I've had quite a few blood samples taken. I won't say it's my favourite experience but I can think of much worse and it's always over so quickly. I don't look either :)

Pip

Speranza
23-07-13, 21:11
Yes, you will be fine.

Em.ma
23-07-13, 21:28
Thanks guys,
Should I eat before hand?

nomorepanic
23-07-13, 21:56
Depends if they asked for a fasting test or not but otherwise yes

Em.ma
24-07-13, 09:53
No non fasting test it is.
Have had some breakfast,
Feel ok at the moment it's when I get to the waiting room the panic will set in.

Speranza
24-07-13, 10:08
Don't think about it until you get in. Seriously. For me, blood tests only happen in the room, I don't go over them in my head before or after! And I am fine with them now.

Em.ma
24-07-13, 11:59
Thank you.
I will try :)

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Over and done with in seconds,
What was I anxious about lol:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

I layed on a bed. She helped calm my breathing and said she could feel how tense I was.
She told me everything she was doing.
I felt the needle then she said its over, I honestly thought she still had the blood to draw when she said that as I felt nothing except when it went in and that's not even pain it was just a feeling lol.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

When can I take the plaster off?