PDA

View Full Version : CBT - Share your experience?

adelaiswonderland
23-07-13, 21:50
Starting CBT tomorrow for GAD.. Could anybody give me any positive tales of their own experiences with it? It's hard to think that someone talking to me could make such a difference to how I think. Right now it feels like my only hope for getting better. I think I have been relying on it a bit too much :/

Not looking for any sugar coated stories, I know it's a long process.. Just if anyone could say how it helped them etc. Would make me feel a bit more positive.

Thanks!

Stormsky
23-07-13, 21:53
It all depends on how much work you put in, if you relate to your therapist. It's different for everyone..personally it didnt do much for me, but I did it about 10 yrs ago, so methods may have changed.

adelaiswonderland
23-07-13, 22:08
I appreciate your honesty, I do hope I get on well with my therapist, I would find another if I didn't as for the amount it costs to go I wouldn't want to waste that!

Stormsky
23-07-13, 22:11
Are you paying then?

Jacsta
23-07-13, 22:12
I found cbt very helpful. I started it when I was in the right frame of mind to put the work in and now I have more control over my excessive worrying and can recognise when I may be getting depressed.

I find cbt gives you life tools that you adapt to yourself. There are lots of techniques to try and its about honesty and trial and error to find the right plan for you.

Be honest with your therapist, and most of all be honest with yourself. If something doesn't work...think...did I give that a proper try? how can I fit this into my life? and have open discussion with therapist on what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

adelaiswonderland
23-07-13, 22:31
Stormsky - Sadly the waiting list in my area was over a year or more long for CBT, I felt it was worth saving up and going private so hopefully it pays off.

Thanks jacsta, I'll try and bear that in mind!

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

Ugh, Just realised there is a whole section of the forum for CBT that this was probably more appropriate for... sorry! :unsure: guess I'll just leave it here now though, it is about anxiety after all! :blush:

phil6
24-07-13, 10:00
CBT will teach you what anxiety is, what effects it had and how thinking, behaviour and your physical symptoms work and how they are all linked. If you know all about this already then this bit may be going over old ground. It then focuses on which of the three things you can change and gives you skills and strategies to change them. What you do with what you learn will determine your journey towards recovery...
Please go with an open mind.
Phil

Dazza123
25-07-13, 07:07
My experience was great. My doctor and psychiatrist thought CBT would be of great help, and both told me to write things down before I had my 1st appointment so I knew which points I needed to raise and the most important things to get out first, in an effort to get the best out of it. I was referred because after choking a couple of times on food, I was unable to swallow and wasnt eating or drinking (still suffering badly now some 16 months later)

I walked into the room and sat down, then was promptly told I was being discharged from CBT because my problem of not being able to eat/swallow properly wasn't important enough. The possibility of starving to death (im being a drama queen) and suffering malnutrition leading to other illnesses and complications due to my diabetes wasnt as important as the person before me who had difficulties using public transport ( I overheard the last few minutes of their session)

That poor person, I do hope they can now catch a bus without fear or panic. I on the other hand am not even sure I will be able to eat anything today, but hey thats mental health services for you :wacko:

BessieMae*candothis!
25-07-13, 07:40
I found that CBT helps aloy but its a skill that you must keep working on or you will lose it. I went two year ago when I had a flair up and just recently needed to refresh myself on the positive self talk. Its important to understand your anxiety and realize that it really is mind over matter. The mind is so powerful that you can really talk yourself into having some pretty crazy diseases!!! Its all about perspective. I just upped my dose of Prozac from 20mg to 40mg and its been really hard for me anxiety wise, ESPECIALLY in the am, its like I have myself convinced that I won't wake up when I fall asleep, which is something that even if it did happen, I CAN'T CONTROL, I in turn wake up in a panic like "AM I ALIVE??" :lisa:

Learning to let it all go is the hardest thing to remember but I am determined to not be a victim. I have had many "blips" with my panic disorder and know that I will always come out victorious...just takes time.

jayjoe18
28-07-13, 15:39
I've had CBT twice now. The first time I was 16-17 years old and it was for my health anxiety. I had it for nearly a year and it worked brilliantly. I'm now 99% over health anxiety, with the odd few wobbles here and there which is to be expected as you don't forget things, you just learn to manage. That's what CBT taught me. However, I'm now 20 & currently half way through my second lot of CBT (this time for a worry over needing the loo when out in public) and it's not been helpful at all so far unfortunately. I don't know why as the first time worked, though I have noticed I've not been given as much work to do, so maybe it's the therapist. Or maybe it's because this worry is more physical. I don't know, but what I'm trying to say is that it does depend on your therapist and also the particular problem. Some things you may need a bit more help with than just CBT as it's a very short course and only focuses on the problems presenting in the patient at present. Not your anxiety as a whole which is a shame. My therapist told me I may need to go for more CBT to tackle my social anxiety, but to be honest I'm getting impatient as this is all ruining my life and I don't want to spend all my days in therapy!