PDA

View Full Version : Depressed at work, anxious when not at work?

samtheman
24-07-13, 09:58
Not real great choices are they? I hate my job which makes me depressed, I was counting down the days to my holidays then they finally arrived, after the initial excitement of getting out of that hell hole for 2 weeks the anxiety has set in.

I took the kids to the park on Monday and couldn't wait to get back home as I was anxious, my stomach was turning and all the rest, I've not ventured out since, I had the dentist today and even cancelled that.

I had so many things I wanted to do over my holidays and I know damn well I will do none of them because of anxiety and be full of regrets when back at work that I wasted my holidays sat in the house.

How can I get past this before my holidays are over?

It seems that although I may be depressed, stressed, fed up with my job it takes my mind of anxiety, remove that and the anxiety comes back

Speranza
24-07-13, 10:08
So the anxiety isn't related to your work?

samtheman
24-07-13, 10:14
So the anxiety isn't related to your work?

I'd say not, I'm in this job a year, I've had anxiety issues 14/15 years now, I go to work, come home repeat 5 days a week, I have no anxiety at home or at work as both are seen as safe places I guess. But venture outside these places anxiety in full force.

Edie
24-07-13, 13:51
There's also the lack of routine and distraction which can be issues for some people too. I don't know whether that may be an additional factor for you.

It's a shame your job brings you down, when it's obviously doing something positive for you. Have you thought about maybe looking for a new job? Yes, a new place would be anxiety-making, but once you settled, you might be happier. Might be something to occupy you for the next 2 weeks as well.

Down_Lo
24-07-13, 23:34
I'd say not, I'm in this job a year, I've had anxiety issues 14/15 years now, I go to work, come home repeat 5 days a week, I have no anxiety at home or at work as both are seen as safe places I guess. But venture outside these places anxiety in full force.

Hey I know exactly how you feel, although was pretty much vice versa.
I hate my work and think that its that place that has made me anxious etc although until recently I usually got through work and felt terrible when I got home.

I think it was the feeling of going back the next day to start all over again. It was rare I would take a panic attack in work until the last two weeks when i took one for no reason on the phone having a casual chat with a client.

I got really nervous and could hardly breath, i managed to get through it although its made work 10x worse as im now worries while on the phone and dread about taking calls now!

It was the weekends that were the worst and then I used my holidays a few weeks ago to visit my mum (works abroad) and the whole time i was there i didn't want to go out or do anything,

I haven't told her about my problems though as i dont want to worry her. I feel stuck in a rut the same as yourself, I find more and more a struggle to do the simple things like go for messages etc.