PDA

View Full Version : Blood test results anxiety

emlica
24-07-13, 14:16
I've been suffering with lingering tummy problems after a stomach bug, which the doctor suspects is just a case of my tummy taking a while to get back to normal (she said it can take a couple of months for some people - I'm only at 3 or 4 weeks - and I have always had a sensitive tummy). But at my last appointment she suggested blood tests 'just to rule out anything else'. Well, I had the blood taken this morning and I get the results on Friday afternoon (which is quite quick really, I should probably be pleased!). Before the test, I thought I wasn't particularly worried, as the doctor really seemed to think they were just 'on the safe side' tests, but over the course of today I've got increasingly anxious about it. I don't know what the 'anything else' might be - and I'm thinking, if I ring for my results on Friday like they told me to, what if there's something dodgy and I then have to wait all weekend to see someone? I've never had blood tests before - can anyone tell me what actually happens when you ring up to get results, if it's not just an all clear? I mean, it's the receptionist you speak to, right? So if the tests have shown something dodgy, do you just get a terrifying 'you need to come in for an appointment', or do they give you an indication of anything at all?

Ridiculously I'm also slightly anxious about what I should do if the blood test *doesn't* show anything. As far as the doctor is concerned, she said if they were all clear then it's just a question of waiting for my tummy to get back to normal - but how long do I wait before I go back?

Speranza
24-07-13, 15:38
Didn't the Queen have these tests after a stomach bug? She's fine, and she's 85. Trust the doctor.

emlica
24-07-13, 15:50
Good point, she did! Mind you, I bet if the Queen's results had shown anything dodgy they wouldn't leave her waiting for an appointment to discuss them!!