PDA

View Full Version : Meningitis fear?

Kenna5027
25-07-13, 14:13
Hey all. About 3 weeks ago I was sick with something...I thought it was a sore throat due to the fireworks (it was the day after the 4th of July) but there was a fever with it as well. I went to the doctor, they eventually prescribed me some meds and I felt better in a couple of days.

BUT while I was sick my mother kept asking me if I felt okay, if anything else hurt, and particularly if my neck was stiff/sore. I already have HA and she asked me enough times to really make me nervous, but my neck wasn't stiff or sore and I got better so it was fine.

However, I've had a cough ever since I got "better". It's not entirely unusual for me to have a cough for a couple of weeks after I get over a cold, but again, my mother is stressing over this and has me panicked again.

To make matters worse, my neck has been sore for about a week now. This also isn't unusual for me, as I have trouble finding a good pillow and my back is sore as well so I think my mattress isn't helping. I can still move my neck, it's worse when I try to sleep at night, and the pain kind of spreads to my shoulders so I think it's pillow-related.

I don't have a fever really (occasionally it gets up to 99 degrees Fahrenheit), but I do feel really hot - kind of like I'm sunburned but I'm not. I also don't really have a headache or nausea, but again, that could change with as much as I'm stressing over this.

If my fever goes up at all or I still feel bad tomorrow, I'll probably see a doc and mention it. However, I know they do a spinal tap to diagnose and I'm scared to death that they're going to make me do that and then it will turn out that I was just being paranoid. And I know how painful those are.

Experiences? Advice?

Annie0904
25-07-13, 19:20
The symptoms of meningitis progress very rapidly so it is very unlikely that you have meningitis. From what you describe, it certainly doesn't sound like meningitis at all.

Stormsky
25-07-13, 19:32
Agree with Annie, you'd know very quickly with meningitis

joelhall
25-07-13, 20:22
Doesn't sound like meningitis, which can make you severely ill. The time course depends on the causative infection, but as mentioned above it worsens quite rapidly. What you do have the classic symptoms of is an upper respiratory tract infection. Just rest, drink fluids and eat well, and use paracetomol (acetaminophen/tylenol in the US) for pain, etc.

Kenna5027
27-07-13, 03:44
Thanks for the responses.

I went to the doc today; not my usual but she was really great. However, she doesn't really seem to know what's up. They took blood and are running a gamut of tests (mono, thyroid, Lyme, etc) but my white blood cell count was totally normal and my lymph nodes aren't swollen so she says it may be some sort of viral thing. They will call on Monday with the results.

Unfortunately, I still have a temp and I still have my weird hot feeling (it feels like I have a painful sunburn all over but I don't). My neck is also hurting still, but I don't think that laying in my uncomfortable bed OR my constant stretching it to see if it feels "stiff" is helping matters....and some of the pain is certainly this sunburned feeling.

So I guess we will wait and see. It has been a solid two days and my highest temp has been 100.9 (F) but it is usually around 99 and aside from fretting about the neck thing, I don't have any of the other meningitis symptoms. I am trying to be totally reasonable here, telling myself I would be much worse off if I had that, but we all know how HA can be (sooo many what-ifs) but I will see how this weekend goes. I took some painkillers as well, so that may help.

Thanks again for the answers/support....just having people read/listen without going postal is good for my sanity (if I mention the words "sore neck" to my mother or father they would convince themselves -and me- that the end was near) so I really appreciate it.

Anxious_gal
27-07-13, 05:44
Don't worry about meningitis. I personally know a few people who had it.
It strikes fast, you wake up feeling very ill, sleepy, worst headache of your life, rash, stiff neck, sensitive to bright lights. . .
It's rather obvious so it's not something you'd miss :) it's also highly treatable, even more so now as medicine is always advancing .

My family are the same way with asking of I have a rash or stiff neck due to their personal experiences with meningitis.
So I get nervous about it myself.

My temp is more on the high side normally, so unless it's a 100F I know I'm fine.
All your symptoms sound like a cold/virus.
Colds can go on for quite a while. Especially with the Flu, you can feel tired for weeks after.

It's good your blood work is all normal!
If it were anything serious your blood count wouldn't be normal.

Take a multivitamin, eat probiotics (yogurt), drink more water.

You can feel hot all over when anxious, or it may be due to you not feeling well.

I don't know much about meningitis to be honest, but from what I know it comes on very suddenly. Where as you've been feeling ill for a few weeks now, and your doctor did blood work :)

I think your body is fighting off a cold, you said it started with a sore throat. Typical cold symptoms.

Of course go back to the doctors if you're not feeling like your improving.