PDA

View Full Version : frightened over new tablets

Salemwitchuk
25-07-13, 14:43
Dear all
I have had health anxiety and general anxiety for as long as I can remember. Ive been on citalopram 30mg for the last six years and up until a few weeks ago this has worked for me. However over the last few weeks my anxiety has now crept back in with panic attacks, feeling nauseated and terribly adrenalin surges. I saw my GP on monday and she has prescribed 25mg pregabalin day and night. After reading all the side affects im now too scared to take them but at the same time have been in tears all day and have not been to work. Has anyone ever taken this medication, if so how did it make you feel x

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 14:55
Moved to the correct forum for you

SarahH
25-07-13, 16:29
Yes. Lots of people on here who are taking pregabalin.

I have been on 400mgs a day since the end of March. It has been brilliant for me!!!

the side effects are mainly; feeling a bit drunk and spaced out. These will pass with time.
I found that the pregabalin (even on a small dose at the beginning) worked within a few days.

Dont worry, take it and see. The dose you have been given is very small and you may have no SE's at all.

Take care Sarah

Coni
26-07-13, 07:40
Hi, I've been taking pregabalin for over a year along with venlafaxine and I have found it to be really great. It really took the edge of my anxiety fairly quickly. I did feel quite drunk and I put on a bit of weight but these side effects settle really quite quickly and to be honest were minor compared to how I had been feeling (even with the venlafaxine).
I take 450mg a day in 3 doses., though until yesterday was on 250mg.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

X

almamatters
26-07-13, 08:07
I have been on 400mg of pregabalin for 8 months, I have found it really good for anxiety and fast working. The weight gain has been a slight issue for me but I experienced quite a quick gain in weight and then it stopped can't remember having any other significant side effects. Take Care. :flowers: xx

happyends
26-07-13, 10:54
Hi Salem,

Have you an update?

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 11:22
Dear all
I took my first 25mg dose last night and felt fine. Have taken the 25mg dose this morning and apart from feeling a bit spacey I'm ok. I still feel anxious but I don't expect it to do miracles to start with. I have terrible health anxiety so very frightened about the affects on heart and breathing but so far so good. I'm going out today a first in a few days and feel ok. I'm meant to be having drinks with family tonight and would like a glass of wine do you think this would be ok or avoid it x

Coni
26-07-13, 11:51
Hi Salem, you should be cautious when mixing alcohol with pregabalin as pregabalin intensifies the effects of alcohol (as I have found to my cost lol).
Having said that you are on a low dose at the moment but best to be aware and go very carefully.
Hope you have a nice night
X

happyends
26-07-13, 11:54
I have read somewhere that 1-2 units of alcohol is ok on the preg, but it can increase the feeling of alcohol. If you aren't experiencing any SE I think 1 glass of wine would be ok

almamatters
26-07-13, 11:56
I would be careful with alcohol, I had a drink not long ago and it intensified the effects so I felt like I had drunk a bottle , it was not a nice feeling, then again I am on a higher dose, but like Coni said be cautious!

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 12:52
Thanks guys for all your advice. I think I will stay away from the drink tonight just to be on the safe side. Do you think my dr will increase the preg as I'm on citalopram as well? I feel so different today. The anxiety is still there but sort of in the background if you know what I mean x

SarahH
26-07-13, 15:11
I am not a Dr...but I would say that you will probably be kept on the same dose for a week to settle in to the drug, particularly if it is beginning to help the anxiety.

SSRI's are OK with pregabalin as they work on different receptors in the brain.

There are others on the board who are far more knowledgeable than me who will come along I am sure.

Regards the alcohol. I stayed away from it for the first couple of m onths but have been on 400mgs since week two. However I now have a couple of glasses of wine when I fancy and I will say this....for me 1 glass feels like I have had 3....now I am a pretty cheap date!!:D and it certainly chills me out:ohmy:

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 16:18
I've had the shakes today in my hands but feel ok. The anxiety is still there but I've managed to ignore it and have been out all day and not really thought about it too much. I'm hoping the tremor will go as I settle in on the meds. I've bought myself some 0.5% shandy so think that will be ok to drink a couple of and to be honest im not missing alcohol as I was using it daily to self medicate. I just hope this good feeling continues. All I can say is that from reading stuff I've noticed the only people who seem up worry about side effects are people with anxiety. There are millions of people that take it for epilepsy and neuropathic pain and they all seem fine x

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:27
I've had the shakes today in my hands but feel ok. The anxiety is still there but I've managed to ignore it and have been out all day and not really thought about it too much. I'm hoping the tremor will go as I settle in on the meds. I've bought myself some 0.5% shandy so think that will be ok to drink a couple of and to be honest im not missing alcohol as I was using it daily to self medicate. I just hope this good feeling continues. All I can say is that from reading stuff I've noticed the only people who seem up worry about side effects are people with anxiety. There are millions of people that take it for epilepsy and neuropathic pain and they all seem fine x

Exactly!!! I have PTSD/GAD and worry constantly that I am going to die!!

Yes you will be anxious about a new medication....it's "normal" for us worriers to worry.

You will be fine...and hopefully the anxiety will be pushed into the background of your thoughts :D

Take care

Sarah

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 18:30
I have constant worries about dying too and any new medication frightens me but I try to rationalise it by thinking of all the other people out there taking the same medication who are fine. I feel a bit spacey at the moment and tired but I can't attribute it all to the medication. I'm glad I've found this group it's really helping talking to people in the same position as me x

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:42
I know the feeling about medication!!!

In the past I took a certain SSRI and within 30mins was in hospital with a severe allergic reaction..That said many people can take meds and have NO SE's. Sadly I am (according to all my medical notes) VERY sensitive to drugs!!

Pregabalin has been the EASIEST and MOST effective for my PTSD/GAD that I have ever taken and I wish it had been available to me 13yrs ago when I was first diagnosed.

I cannot take Tricyclics/SSRI's/SNRI's (I've tried them all) so pregabalin has been quite literally a lifesaver.

I really hope it works for you!!!

"spacey and tired" means it's working. The main question is: How is your anxiety???

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 18:46
The anxiety is still there but sort of in the background if you know what I mean. I'm on such a low dose of preg that I didn't expect miracles straight away. I have felt much calmer today than I have in ages. I'm taking it in conjunction with citalopram. Citalopram pretty much saved my life. Six years ago I couldn't leave my house or sofa unless it was to go to the emergency room because I'd convinced myself I was dying. I am struggling to understand where this new anxiety has come from but I just want it to go away so if the preg helps that then I can cope with being tired and spacey because it will pass x

Kells81
26-07-13, 18:48
Hiya

I'm new to pregabalin as well as I was terrified when I first took it-the side effects really weren't as bad as I thought they would be though and I keep telling myself its a small price to pay to get rid of my anxiety!

I'm only on a small dose at the moment so still at the very early stages of taking it and I really hope it helps.

Stick with it and give it a proper chance to work xx

SarahH
26-07-13, 18:53
Yes it will pass!!

So if the anxiety is in the background then I am guessing the pregabalin is beginning to work!!! That's great news...have a little patience.....it is early days.

Kelly......you too:D

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 19:04
I feel exhausted lol. When I say the anxiety is in the background it sort of feels as though I could have a panic attack or be anxious if I wound myself up enough but it's just not coming lol x

SarahH
26-07-13, 19:07
Good:D Happy to hear that!!Long may that feeling last!

Sarah

Salemwitchuk
26-07-13, 19:08
Just had a strange feeling in my chest that made me think omg but I felt a small adrenalin rush and then just like that its gone again weird and I'm being totally honest x

Salemwitchuk
27-07-13, 10:23
Day three on the tablets. Felt a bit anxious upon waking but seems to have subsided a bit now just trying to keep myself busy. My head feels a bit messy but think it will lift. Got a big party tonight for my other halts birthday so trying not to get myself in a stress over that. My thinking is so irrational at times. I keep worrying the tablets will affect my heart which is silly. How's everyone else today x

SarahH
28-07-13, 17:08
Keep going:D

and keep posting your progress!

Sarah

Salemwitchuk
28-07-13, 19:15
Day 4 well this morning I woke feeling pretty ok. Been out all day and had loads of energy. Still feeling the need to check my pulse every so often throughout the day but not as much as before. I think I need a dose in the afternoon because I take 25mg at night and in the morning and it tends to be around 4-6 that the anxiety creeps in but not full panic attack. I'm liking this medication a lot. Never felt so relaxed and energised. I also have given up drinking which has helped loads as well. I've found that today I could walk miles and feel relaxed and had some quality time with family. The big test will be when I have to return to work tomorrow night as I'm a nurse in a busy hospital. I just have to tell myself that I can do it and if I do feel anxious it won't kill me. How is everyone else doing x

SarahH
28-07-13, 19:27
Good to hear that you are progressing well.....................good luck with tomorrow night...............stay calm:)

almamatters
28-07-13, 20:07
Glad you are progressing with the pregabalin, I tried a few different medications before the GP prescribed these for me and found them to be the ones that are most suitable . Take Care. xxxx

Salemwitchuk
29-07-13, 10:47
Day five. Woke feeling anxious today but it seems manageable at the moment. I think it's because I'm on my own in the house and I've had a manic few days. I'm seeing the dr on the fifth of August so gonna ask her if I can increase the meds as only on tow 25mg a day at the moment. Think I could do with a dose sometime in the afternoon. The difference I've noticed is although I feel anxious whilst writing this I'm not at the panicking stage so that's a good thing it's more like a sinking feeling in my stomach.

SarahH
29-07-13, 12:00
I think you may be right! (but I am not a Dr). You are on a small dose. But little steps:D. Some people only need a small dose to keep the anxiety at bay.

Sarah

chl_hobbs
03-08-13, 07:45
How are u doing on the pregabalin? im supposed to be restarting it after having the worst 6months of my life. i took it last year for8 months and did okwith it,especially at first but i had a chest xray which said my heart was on the upper limit of normal....i decided there and then that it was enlarging and was all the pregabalins fault. the drs told me my heart has probably always been that size,is STILL normal and not to worry. im still scared to take it. i have severe health anxiety. i keep thinkin i will get a severe allergic reaction even though i had it last year. my anxiety is disabling. help what do x

hanshan
03-08-13, 12:41
Hi Salemwitchuk,

It's a bit late for me to add this, but +1 for your comment that people are taking pregabalin for a variety of complaints, including seizures and neuropathic pain, but the ones mostly obsessing over potential and current side effects are the people with anxiety.

SarahH
03-08-13, 15:59
How are u doing on the pregabalin? im supposed to be restarting it after having the worst 6months of my life. i took it last year for8 months and did okwith it,especially at first but i had a chest xray which said my heart was on the upper limit of normal....i decided there and then that it was enlarging and was all the pregabalins fault. the drs told me my heart has probably always been that size,is STILL normal and not to worry. im still scared to take it. i have severe health anxiety. i keep thinkin i will get a severe allergic reaction even though i had it last year. my anxiety is disabling. help what do x

Well no-one can persuade you to take them if you dont want to. But if the Dr's say your heart is ok then it is.
I have had severe allergic reactions to other drugs and terrible SE's with ALL other drugs.....BUT pregabalin I took with absolutley no problem. The SE's I had were "drunkeness" which i found quite amusing. But my anxiety (which had put me in a psych unit) went within a few days.

Sarah

Salemwitchuk
03-08-13, 16:45
Hi I have to agree. I have terrible health anxiety and constant worries about my heart but there is no evidence that pregabalin has any effect on the heart unless you already have heart disease. I have been taking 25mg twice a day for over a week and my anxiety has been very much improved. Today I've had some lingering background anxiety but nothing I've not been able to handle. I'm seeing my dr again in Monday to see if she is going to increase the dose any further as I also take 30mg of citalopram every day. I would give the tablets a chance. Think of all the people put there that take pregabalin for epilepsy and neuropathic pain. I can understand why you have concerns about your heart because I've been the same but I'm sure your dr wouldn't give them to you if they thought they would do you any harm x

chl_hobbs
10-08-13, 15:53
thankyou so much. am going to start it tonight. very scared x