PDA

View Full Version : Noob just prescribed Pregabalin.

happyends
25-07-13, 17:49
Hi there,

Where to start. This is my first post :)

I have been suffering from anxiety, panic attacks etc for roughly 17 wonderful years. I finally got a psych appointment which I attended yesterday.
The diagnosis was GAD, OCD and agoraphobia. Psych has prescribed me the preg 25mg 3 times a day. I am currrently on mirtazapine 45mg which he wants me to taper off.

Of course being the anxious person I am, I rifled straight through to the side effects and am nothing short of freaked out. About a month ago the doctor tried changing me onto paroxetine, and within 3 hours I was literally climbing the walls, acutely manic with severely heightened anxiety. I had to stop taking them immediately.

I have read a lot of the posts on here, and am aware that I am starting off on a very low dose, however am still really worked up. I have been staring at the new pills all day and just can't pluck up the courage to take one.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Barnabas75
25-07-13, 19:07
Hi there,not sure if this is helpful but the only major side effect I am having is increased appetite but I am getting on top of that now,felt a bit tired int he beginning also and sort of fatigued.I was put on 300mg.150mg morning and 150mg night.Starting off at a low dose of course.I am into my fourth day at 300mg.The fatigue has gone.I think if you managed the side effects of going onto Mirt then this is by far easier.Thats been my experience.Yes its a low starting dose and you should be okay.The preg should help coming off the Mirt also when you get to your perscribed dose.Its supposed to take a minimum of a week before you really see any benifits so if you get the courage be patient.Ha,I know its hard.

happyends
26-07-13, 00:57
Thanks for your reply gregoryd.

Yeah it seems it is a really low starting dose for me, I am guessing this is because I was so sensitive to the change to the paroxetine.

I guess what concerns me the most is if the preg actually causes me any anxiety like the paroxetine did, I think that is my greatest fear.

I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and pop one :)

SarahH
26-07-13, 15:16
You will be fine......

I was so terrified of taking meds, due to V bad experiences on many types, the first tablet got stuck in my throat!!!!
I even made sure there was a trained Recovery Nurse sat beside me in the hospital when I took my first tablet.

I was so chilled by pregabalin I have not looked back!!!

almamatters
26-07-13, 15:27
I am petrified of taking new meds and when I was prescribed pregabalin it took me a few days to take them, eventually I stopped reading the side effects and concentrated on the positive things I had heard about this medication. Like others I did not notice any side effects apart from weight gain (luckily seems to have settled down). I have been on them for 8 months now.

happyends
26-07-13, 17:43
Well guys, thanks for your replies.

I bit the bullet about 6 hours ago and took one, initially i had a few average waves of panic/anxiety but now I feel ok, I feel a bit spaced out but nothing major. I'll take the next dose in a few hours and report back tomorrow.

SarahH
26-07-13, 17:48
Well done:D

I think the initial "anxiety" was from your anxiety about taking the tablet NOT the pregabalin.
"Spaced" is a VERY common SE.

Sarah

BobbyDog
27-07-13, 12:09
I didn't have any strange side effects, apart from blurred vision, but I am at present withdrawing due to weight gain. All the best I hope they work for you.x

hanshan
28-07-13, 09:53
Hello Happyends,

I am taking both mirtazapine and pregabalin. If you have been getting some benefit from mirtazapine, it seems silly to me (I must stress, I'm not medically qualified) to stop it. The two medications work in different ways and can be combined.

Anyway, the combination has worked well for me for several years.

Don't be afraid of taking the first pill. Some people get the temporary euphoria effect, but it doesn't last.