PDA

View Full Version : Myocardial Perfusion (MIBI) scan

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 18:42
Anyone on here had one by any chance?

Annie0904
25-07-13, 18:52
I asked my husband but he hasn't had this one. Are you having one Nicola?

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 18:54
I am Annie on 2nd August.

The only thing I don't like the sound of is having drugs injected to make the heart race like you have done exercise but you just lay there instead. I am not keen on things that artificially make things happen if that makes sense.

Annie0904
25-07-13, 19:13
I just had a look at the NHS leaflet about it from Papworth hospital. It looks like you will be very closely monitored and other than feeling tired after there are no other real side effects. I know what you mean though, I would be a bit wary about taking the drug. The bit that I don't like in the leaflet is that they say you will be required to have a meal but they don't provide it!! You have to get your own in the canteen! :D

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 20:34
When I spoke to the woman on the phone she told me about the meal and said go and get a fry up from the canteen as you need loads of fat! That made me laugh that a heart hospital would make you eat so much fat !

It is Papworth I am going to so I am in the best place. That is where I had my stent fitted as well.

Janine
25-07-13, 20:51
Hi Both, one of me best friends contacted me last night, she has not been well for a frew weeks and is in Derby hospital, she is only 51 and they think it is her heart and she had one of these scans today, I had not heard of it until last night and just saw your posts, she said we will get the results tomorrow, I cannot go and visit as she is 3 hours away but am really worried about her. Papworth is not far from me Nic and they are really have a good reputation.

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 21:17
Apparently they do these scans with women Janine as the treadmill tests gives false positives.

Yeah Papworth is good and of the leading hospitals for hearts so we are lucky we live so close.

After the heart attack I spent 12 hours there before they had to transfer me back to Bedford Hospital as I was too ill with the Crohn's for them to cope with.

Annie0904
25-07-13, 21:22
I hope your friend will be okay Janine. They can do a lot for heart problems now. My husband had a heart attack aged 58 and another a year later. He has stents in and is still working full time age 65 :)
Did they give you a leaflet about it Nicola? If not you can read it here http://www.papworthhospital.nhs.uk/docs/leaflets/PI57_Myocardial_Perfusion_MIBI_scan.pdf

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

My hubby had to go on the treadmill and they kept saying to him "Are you feeling any pain?" he was saying "No not yet" Then they stopped him and said "Are you sure you are not feeling pain because the machine is saying you should be" They were very surprised that he wasn't feeling the pain as the machine clearly showed something was not right.

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 21:44
Yeah just got the leaflet today thanks Annie

Last time I did a treadmill test but now they don't use them so this scan is even better I guess.

Janine
25-07-13, 22:18
I am worried about her as normally she is such a bubbly larger than life character who is so kind hearted, she was the first person to just pick up the phone and ring me a couple of years ago when I ended up in hospital with a massive internal bleed and had to have 6 pints transfusion so I feel like i want to be there for her and her lovely family.

Hope you get on ok when you have the test Nic, Annie your husband has done so well it just shows how much treatment has come on in the past few years.

Annie0904
25-07-13, 22:37
He has to take a lots of medication but he has had no more problems.

nomorepanic
25-07-13, 23:17
I hope she will be ok Janine

Your husband is lucky Annie - I couldn't work full time cos most of the time I feel zapped out and so tired.

Annie0904
26-07-13, 19:03
My husband gets bad muscle pain and cant lift his arm up high. Not sure if it is the statins.

nomorepanic
26-07-13, 19:26
I think a lot of the medication we are both on contribute to all sorts of aches and pains Annie

venusbluejeans
27-07-13, 01:53
Miss Nicola,

I know I have spoken to you at length about your medical tests and other things health wise. and I also know what you go through on a daily basis...... I know that this test is important as it will rule things out.

I also know that you are nervous about being given meds that are going to stimulate your body into thinking it has done lots of exercise BUT you will be in the best place for that to happen and in one of the best heart hospitals in the UK.

you will do it and all will be fine because that is what you do soldier on through everything life throws at you and rarely moan.

anyway you know where I am if you do need a moan and a rant :)

annette1
27-07-13, 03:21
Hi Nicola
I had one of these scans in April then in was repeated in June. There really is nothing to worry about, its very simple.

This what happened when I went to the Bristol Heart Institute. I was asked to arrive an hour before my appointment for preparation time. First I had an ECG, then the nurse took a medical history from me including medications - at this point i explained about ptsd & anxiety & they were very mindful off that during the scan, she asked me to undress to waist & put on a gown. If you are having dye & heart meds you will have a drip put in both arms.

You will be shown into the scan room, asked to lie on the bed & then they will connect you to drips and set up the scanner. During the scan they will talk to you through headphones, asking you to breath deeply, hold your breath etc. When the dye goes in you wont be aware of it, however, the heart meds could make you feel hot, pressure in your chest, your heart race, a headache or you'll feel nauseous but these pass very quickly.

The scan took about 30mins, its air conditioned & the time passes quickly.

The worse part for me was waiting for the results, eventually I rang the secretary only to be told that my scan was incomplete & I had to go again!

I hope that puts your mind at rest, good luck.
Annette

nomorepanic
27-07-13, 14:28
Thanks Annette for that.

Did you have to eat the fatty meal at some point as well?

I hate having cannula's in as well !

Janine
27-07-13, 20:50
Hi Nicola

My friend had her scan on Thursday and is fine, it showed up that she needs to have an angiogram on Tuesday and have some stents put in so hopefully that will make her better, she is still in hospital and wired up to a monitor all the time, I am sure you will be fine, the thought is oftem worse and hopefully it will help sort out what is wrong for you.

nomorepanic
28-07-13, 02:26
Do you mean angioplast? It is the same procedure as an angiogram + the stents lol

I am hoping they find nothing as the chest pain went ages ago but I guess I have to go along with the flow

nomorepanic
28-07-13, 02:33
Thanks Emmz for you support as ever. I am sure I will be moaning to you before I go xxx

nomorepanic
11-09-13, 14:29
I got my results today.

I do not have angina which is a relief really. :yesyes:

They have now discharged me from cardiology as I was seeing them every 6 months and they said I don't need to go back unless I get any more problems.

I saw the big "head cheese" cardiologist today (who I have never seen before) who also told me that I should have only stayed on the high does of my Statin for 2 years then reduced it. Well, "hello" you are the cardiologists and I have been coming every 6 months for the past 4 years so why didn't someone tell me before :doh:

He will write to my doc and get her to check my cholesterol and maybe reduce the statin down by half.

So good news really as it is coming up to 5 years since the heart attack so I was worried I had started getting angina as well.

venusbluejeans
11-09-13, 17:35
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee321/venusbloojeans/Holidays___Saint_Valentines_Day__037823__zps212378 57.jpg

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
xxxxxxxxxxx

Pipkin
11-09-13, 17:38
Yeah!!! :yesyes:

P xxx

nomorepanic
11-09-13, 17:44
Haha Emmz - I am seriously lacking ologist's now - only got 2 left. Love the pic xxx

Thanks Pip xx

Elen
11-09-13, 18:06
Brilliant news Nic

nomorepanic
11-09-13, 20:38
Thanks Elen x

Annie0904
11-09-13, 20:40
Pleased to hear that Nicola x

anx mum
11-09-13, 21:53
That's good news Nicola was the test u had like a ct scan u didn't wait long?

nomorepanic
11-09-13, 22:03
Thanks Annie and Bev

Bev - I was referred back in July and had the scan in August then the results today.

It was more than just a CT scan. It has 2 parts - a stress test and a rest test - but the cardiologist said today that it can show angina.