PDA

View Full Version : any one no meds at all

jackieann3
26-07-13, 08:20
Hello there is there any one here that don't have any meds at all and just put up with symptoms of heath anxiety I won't take any thing I'm far too scared of meds , when I read some of these posts and see the meds everyone is on it terrifies me that is one of my problems taking tablets I think all tablets will make ill would like know if any one else has heath anxiety but don't have medication. X

Gee
26-07-13, 08:32
I don't take anything, I don't think taking tablets will help me get better I think it will mask the problem - I need to start thinking differently to get better. I understand people need them to cope and im not knocking that at all, but I want to try without and fix the problem - I think CBT is a better option
X

fearless.x3
26-07-13, 08:40
Hello, I have been on many medication and to be honest I have never felt better off them! Obviously side effects can vary for different people. But, with therapy (whatever you choose) and your own help, I am sure you overcome it without :)

-Hannah

mummyanxious
26-07-13, 08:46
I don't take anything. I have tried citalopram and a variety twice and had horrible times! I have however taken diazepam which was ok but I was really terrible having panic attacks all day every day. Helped give my body a rest. That's the only thing I would consider in the future if I got terrible again.

KeeKee
26-07-13, 09:46
I take Propranalol on a daily basis and whilst I believe I may be ready to come off it, when I was having actual panic attacks it helped drastically. I am also on 30mg Citalopram which I also would not be without due to me feeling indescribably horrid without Ssri's.
I am also terrified of New medication so when I start it I ensure I am fully ready (clothed etc in case I need to go to walk-in centre hehe) and with someone for the whole day.

swajj
26-07-13, 10:23
I don't take meds for my anxiety. I have Valium but I don't take tem. I asked my psych about meds and he said it was my choice but if I took them then it would take me a lot longer to beat the anxiety. I'm not against other people taking meds for their anxiety though. I finally made the choice not to because of my profession. I need a really clear head for that.

BeckyL
26-07-13, 11:48
I don't take anything, I took diazepam once in A+E and thought that my GP was going to prescribe this but she said the same as some of you and that it's better to help the problems through CBT rather than mask it with tablets.

Also, jackieann your problem with taking tablets I feel like this, I fuss over taking any tablet which I haven't taken before, reading the information paper over and over and being scared of it making me have an adverse reaction. I was even scared to take vitamin tablets at first and took me about a week to get the courage to do so!

jackieann3
21-08-13, 14:53
I'm the same Becky I'm like it when I'm going to take a tablet I have had before just in case it effects me now and not the last time I took it I know it sounds mad lol just never ending wish you well x

mervymoomoo
21-08-13, 18:21
seems like us health anxiety sufferers are afraid of pills...I hate the dam things and wont take them for fear they will hurt me I haven't taken a paracetomol in a year or more its hard enough to take the contraceptive pill lol.... I would like to get better and have many boxes of tabs the doc gave me but now he believes that tablets will only make me worse so has advised me not to take them

jillyb
21-08-13, 18:52
Me too! I really wish I could take some meds as I have been in this current bad place for months now. It took me 20 years to take a paracetamol! I do have some diazepam but I took one a couple of weeks ago and felt really ill, though I actually think it was my anxiety. I have been diagnosed with TMJ disorder and it would help if I took some diazepam for a few days, to relax the muscles a bit. My family are desperate for me to take some meds, but they are not the ones who have got to throw them down their throats!

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Jackieann ... I am just the same as you about taking tablets that I have had before, ie antibiotics, even if they are on my 'safe' list I think 'this time' I will react!!! Nightmare!

ankietyjoe
21-08-13, 19:44
I've never taken medication, partly because I don't want to become dependant on the and partly because I've seen people literally go through hell coming off them and then land straight back at square one.

The answer lies within your own mind, and it's bloody hard work, but worth it.

It's worth remembering that medication is a business first and foremost, one where it's better for the companies to sell you a treatment rather than a cure.

Edit - It's probably not fair to say that, but it's from direct observation over two decades. I know it helps some people.

jackieann3
21-08-13, 21:33
Jilly it is a nightmare I've got a cupboard full as well what a waste of money and I've got prescriptions I haven't got I don't know why I go to the doctors I don't know what I'm hoping for really is never ending . I wish you well x

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

I agree with you ankietyjoe x

dally
26-08-13, 08:15
Hi
I too am soo scared of talking meds.
I have been having pa for over 30 years and have been prescribed EVERYTHING!!
I took ONE AD years ago and was soooo sick. Dizzy, vomiting, flashing lights in my eyes, sweating etc etc. I genuinely believe in was the meds and not the anxiety, cos this was before I started reading all the patient info leaflets on side effects.
aND
This reaction is what made me start reading the SEs!!!
So over the years, the panic was just so bad that I could not bear to add to it by 'voluntarily giving myself more sickness/distress feelings

In the End I was prescribed Valium which took me about 5 YEARS to pluck up the courage to take!!
The main reason was not side effects, as the main side effect is relaxation!!!
BUT I was SOOOOOO worried about becoming addicted.

I started by taking an eighth of a 2mg tablet. No effect what so ever.
Gradually building up to 1 -2mg
My psych said I would be as well drinking a glass of plain water for all the effect 2mg would do me.
So now if I am having a major PA I take 4mg
I Don't even take 2 mg, it's not enough to calm me and I get despondent that I have 'taken drugs and still feel panicky'
If I HAVE to go somewhere big, like a wedding/hospital etc 6 mg and Mabey 2mg the night before.
My body is soooo sensitive. I even have diarrhoea with vitamin tabs
And I have no SEs with Valium except a calm fuzzy feeling.
There are some days I don't like feeling this either. But it is much better that a major PA. and it wears off after 6-8 hours.
If I were you, I would def try the Valium, perhaps when you are having a good day, Mabey in the evening. Not at bedtime cos it might help you to sleep and then you will not be aware if any differences in your body. Mabey abut t time.
I really believe your reaction to th Valium was heightened and about taking Valium, cos as I said the only SE is calmness
Lt me know how you get on.
Propanalol is another good drug for calming your down and is not addictive xx