PDA

View Full Version : Just tracked my panic attack

joelhall
26-07-13, 13:58
Ok so, just finished having a random, God-is-testing-me, panic attack, and tracked my symptoms as I've noticed a general pattern in how they occur (although sometimes they differ). The reason I decided to track how the panic attack develops is to try and work out why I feel the way I do during an attack.

First of all I felt hot around the face and head. This feeling continued while my palms began to sweat. Now I have been a bit dizzy and tired today, although this is focussed around the eyes.
After a while my dad stuck the air condtioning on in the car, and I felt cooler, although usually this feeling of heat simply continues.
After around 10 minutes when we stopped, I felt a little calmer, but returning to the car things started to get worse. The following is how my panicattacks develop over time:

First I feel hot around the head and neck, particularly down the sides of my face.
Next I begin to feel a tightening of the strap muscles, in my case this occurs at the top of the neck rather than the bottom or around the larynx, under my jaw and along around the sides at the back of the jaw.
This feeling of course makes me feel as if my throat is closing, and breathing through my nose becomes uncomfortable, so I begin mouth-breathing - not hyperventilating, simply it feels more comfortable.

Now these sensations in themselves are not too bad. The bad part is when I actually start worrying. First of all my muscles seem to relax, which makes me immediately think 'I'll collapse' (even if I'm sitting or lying down). However, my neck and head move in twitching motions, and my left shoulder begins to jerk up into my head (which can be painful, and as yet nobody can find a reason for this perculiar reaction). This jerking increases the tension in my neck which obviously exacerbates the symptoms.

The worst is this strange fear that my heart will stop. The only time I worry at all is during an attack after the physical symptoms have started. During an attack, and I have no idea why, I also have a phobia of taking my own pulse (I know, it is a little mental, only happens during a panic attack). I have no idea why I think my heart is stopping, I have no sensations, cardiac symptoms, my heart rate rarely changes during a panic attack, I don't have altered consciousness, or become confused, or suffer cardiac or suspect pain...

Then it struck me! Everytime I want reassurance about my pulse, it's because of the tension of the strap muscles (infrahyoid muscles if anyone fancies Googling) which is among the most common symptoms of stress and anxiety there is. This is because of the location of the tension, right by my carotid arteries and of course the carotid sinus. This leads me to think that not only do I have the sensation of having the arteries occluded, but the sinus pressure might artificially lower my blood pressure and lead me to pass out (which invariably is what I worry about when the attack is ongoing - collapsing and dying). In fact the tightness itself, which gives the sensation being pressed is right where a standard carotid pulse is felt.

I've found that tracking my symptoms and thinking through what occurs and what I think when the different feelings occur has helped deal with panic attacks quite a lot.

Has anyone else tried this approach?

Barnabas75
26-07-13, 21:23
Yes,is the short answer.I have been trying to track them and make some sense out of them.In a similar way mine begin with feeling light headed but my attention usually misses that because I become more concerned on the throat closing.I also experience a pain in my neck and pressure around my sinus and above slightly.I do not get a rapid heart beat and neither a rapid pulse.I do get phisically weak and feel my muscles get tight.At least I am not the only tracker out there.

Tufty
27-07-13, 10:56
Yes, when I first started with panic attacks I did track the physical sensations and it helped a lot, I no longer take any notice of the physical symptoms. Unfortunately my panics are now fuelled by what's going on in my head and how I am thinking - I'm still working on how to track those thoughts back and change them before it results in panic.
Work in progress
Well done though, I hope it helps you as much as it did me
Sam

CharlieM
27-07-13, 11:25
Very interestin joel.

I also have started to track my symptoms. I have a dull discomfort in my left armpit pretty much 24/7. This no longer bothers me, but occasionally I will feel the discomfort travel down my left arm and sideways across to my left nipple. This causes me to sweat, pulse increases by approx 50% and I feel a tightness behind my neck and base of skull.

My breathing doesn't really get affected, but I do consciously try to focus on slow belly breaths. As soon as my arm and chest feel better the panic subsides.

Mnisilochos
27-07-13, 11:28
Hi all,

I did try to track down the symptoms, the problem was that they don`t always come the same way.

Sometimes panic affects my head, I get a stong headache and I`m afraid I would vomit or faint. Some other time the feeling is around chest and heart and then I have the same worries we all have, like my heart is going to stop and so on.

I believe that attacks can surprise you, for example the other day I started to have one when I was playing the piano - I mean, how stressful can that be. Thus, I`m not quite sure that (only) tracking the symptoms is enough. Along with that should be the time they appear (in my case in the evening) what might trigger them (news about people dying, horror movies, claustophobic places, phobias etc) etc.
Do not get me wrong, this is my personal opinion, people react differently. All I want to say is that panicking comes in various forms and sizes:) I knew a guy who started at some point to have incontinence issues when having an attack.

What I personally do and has helped me is to have a blood pressure monitor at home and when I feel that there is something wrong with my heart I check my pressure. According to my partner, who is a doctor, if everything is within the limits, there is nothing wrong with my heart. This reassures me a bit.

That hasn`t treated my attacks, it just helped me to be a bit rational and think that it`s only an attack which will eventually pass.

Well, that`s all from my side. You all have a wonderful weekend. And good luck! :)

Speranza
27-07-13, 11:32
Yes I do, it gives a bit more control - or at least the appearance of control! I was taught a 'stand back and watch' technique which I find incredibly helpful - it is simply, "Oh - I'm panicking - how does that feel?' This takes me just far enough out of the panic to ride it through. Simple but really effective.

joelhall
27-07-13, 14:02
Hi all,

I did try to track down the symptoms, the problem was that they don`t always come the same way.

Sometimes panic affects my head, I get a stong headache and I`m afraid I would vomit or faint. Some other time the feeling is around chest and heart and then I have the same worries we all have, like my heart is going to stop and so on.

I believe that attacks can surprise you, for example the other day I started to have one when I was playing the piano - I mean, how stressful can that be. Thus, I`m not quite sure that (only) tracking the symptoms is enough. Along with that should be the time they appear (in my case in the evening) what might trigger them (news about people dying, horror movies, claustophobic places, phobias etc) etc.
Do not get me wrong, this is my personal opinion, people react differently. All I want to say is that panicking comes in various forms and sizes:) I knew a guy who started at some point to have incontinence issues when having an attack.

What I personally do and has helped me is to have a blood pressure monitor at home and when I feel that there is something wrong with my heart I check my pressure. According to my partner, who is a doctor, if everything is within the limits, there is nothing wrong with my heart. This reassures me a bit.

That hasn`t treated my attacks, it just helped me to be a bit rational and think that it`s only an attack which will eventually pass.

Well, that`s all from my side. You all have a wonderful weekend. And good luck! :)
This is one problem of course - I always find it more alarming when I have atypical attacks. One a couple of months ago was quite bizarre. I simply had a strange, painful numbness from my elbows to my fingertips with no hyperventilating, and a very strange numbness around the head. This sparked a panic attack of incredible muscle tension in waves all over my body, and I was convinced my number was up.
Then again I can't really trust my gut - I have colitis :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Thank you everyone for your replies, I was curious if anyone else had tried this, as it's certainly proved helpful :)

Mnisilochos
27-07-13, 21:47
Glad to help! Take care! :)

ankietyjoe
27-07-13, 21:53
I have indeed spent many, many hours tracking every single tiny sensation that happens and try to rationalise it in some way. I've also tried to put a label on why it scares me and what I can do about it etc.

What I realised was that there was a 'critical mass' of sensation, where the twisting stomach pang occurred. It's that moment that sends concern into panic (for me at least).

The solution for me was to be mindful of the sensations (I know I bang on about meditative tools a lot) and just let them happen. It's not a pleasant feeling, but more often than not it never goes anywhere.

Sometimes of course it'll spill over into 'that' moment, but that's when I allow myself to lay down and start deep breathing. Using this method I rarely go into full blown panic anymore.

27-07-13, 22:31
I've never thought about tracking my panic attacks before. Although relatively new to having panic attacks, I'll defiantly keep and eye out on the symptoms. Thanks for the idea Joel.

rufess1
28-07-13, 01:48
Yes I have also been tracking my symptoms, the symptoms vary each time but they start and end the same way......

I first notice my vision goes funny and I see flecks moving out of the corner of my eyes and start to feel dizzy, then my heart gives out one big, slow thud and for a split second I think OMG its gonna stop beating. That split second fear of dying is enough to trigger a full blown attack.
I hyperventilate and I only realise when I go dizzy, Ive noticed I breath from my chest without realising, my jaw is tense and my shoulders are up near my ears somewhere. I start gasping for air, so I try to control my breathing by breathing from my stomach, at this point it almost feels harder to breath this way. Then comes the chest pain. I don't actually physically shake like I did when I had my first attack, but all my insides feel like they are shaking.
I know when im coming round from an attack when I start yawning, then comes the belching, very lady like lol
Im not frightened of having a panic attack, I have them every night. For me its my thought process that starts them and fuels them as I can turn small problem into something huge.
I defo think understanding your symptoms makes them less scary.