PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn and Weight Loss

joeyr
27-07-13, 07:31
Hi there - I've been doing pretty well with my healthy anxiety over the last couple of years, until now - seems I've relapsed a bit!

I've been up worrying about this all night - About a month ago I started to develop pains in my stomach and heartburn so I went to the doc and they put me on stomach acid reducing tablets and tested me for an ulcer (it came back negative). I've finished the course of tablets and I have to go back on Monday but am spending the weekend panicking that it's something serious. I'm 36 years old and recently went vegetarian. Because of my heartburn (I find that as long as I eat something, even if it's a piece of fruit every 2 hours or so it's ok and I just get the heartburn and discomfort first thing in the morning) I've also given up chocolate, sugary and fatty foods. I've lost 5kgs in 3 months and part of me says that's just the diet.

Funny thing is, it all started once I turned veggie - could a change in diet like this (low fat too) cause heartburn? I'm linking the weight loss to something health related but could it actually be the diet instead? I'm going to ring the doctor on Monday as the tablets haven't really helped although I don't have pain anymore just burping and heartburn. Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I'm feeling panicky about all of this!
Thanks,
Jo

ShaunKGrande
27-07-13, 08:56
Health is the major problem with everyone here,i am also suffering from this problem and a over weight problem.

joelhall
27-07-13, 14:04
It certainly could be the problem, contrary to popular opinion a vegetarian diet is not the best thing for the gastrointestinal tract.

joeyr
28-07-13, 08:39
Really? That's reassuring - will go back to the doctor's tomorrow anyway but might have to reconsider my diet to include some chicken and fish at least - maybe it's the change in protein and increase in fibre etc - might take a while for my stomach to adjust? Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. :)