PDA

View Full Version : Panic over home move

Goldfinch
27-07-13, 09:07
Hi all,

I haven't posted for a while as life has been running pretty smoothly and I've been down to 5 mg cipralex per day which I thought I would phase out when my planned house move had gone through. I'm in a rented place now with my two teenage children. We moved here after a protracted and messy divorce which led to horrendous financial problems until the marital home was sold and I was able to pay off my legal debts. I planned to stay here about 18 months and then look for a place to buy. Rents are very expensive round here and I've had to work hard to pay the rent and bills, but we love the house, it's close to the children's friends and it has given us the time and space to get over what has happened and get back to a normal life.
I've had an offer accepted on a maisonette about a mile and a half away, close to my son's school. However, the survey has revealed a lot of problems and I'm having a damp report done for the building society before they will offer me a mortgage. I'm starting to get cold feet about the whole thing. I have already spent quite a lot of money on searches and surveys, but don't want to buy somewhere that will need a lot of work that I can't afford. I will never forget the feeling of being in debt, and I never want to go there again. So maybe I'd be better to carry on renting and have some savings available for emergencies. I woke at 5 am in a panic, just don't know what to do. I'm terrified of making the wrong decision. Don't know how realistic my fears are. Just feel like crying and wish the whole thing would go away!

Edie
27-07-13, 16:35
Moving house is extremely stressful and bound to be an anxious time. However in this case, your concerns do sound valid, and not just your anxiety trying to talk you out of it. Can you try reducing your offer, in light of the work that needs doing? Maybe speak to a builder about likely costs, and which things are really priorities. Might be worth a try before pulling out altogether, especially as the location is so good for you. No property is going to be perfect, but if there are a lot of issues you need to consider whether you can realistically afford this one.