PDA

View Full Version : It Returns...

stuboy111
27-07-13, 12:54
Hi everyone I am new to this forum but a bit of an old hand with the panics sadly. Was advised of the website by my employers and after looking can see that it provides a fantastic service for everyone. My panic problems started 11 years ago after my mother sadly passed away and as described by everyone on here all the symptoms started which took a long time to get a grip on. Initially I would have panic attacks for perhaps 10 hours in a day. With CBT and different medications I got to where I would say was acceptable which I think is very important. I would say i am anxious always but controlled to a certain extent and you learn to live with the side effects, sweating, constipated and everything passing in a blur at 100mph etc. The good news is that I managed for 9 years without a full blown panic attack:). I built a defence system in place that I could recognise the initial signs and move away sip water, speak to myself and almost argue with the panic in my head. Last week when it was very hot and muggy my hay fever was very bad and I was doing very physical work I got a big surprise when I could not catch my breathe and the symptoms rushed through. I get the shivers then a surge straight through my bladder, then pins and needles and aches then breathless. It lasted for 45mins and I ended up in a medical centre in Edinburgh. The Doctor checked all the vitals and all was good and she watched as I managed to slow down everything back to my normal. Now here I am left with a high level of anxiety or as I call it the jitters, confidence is gone again and frightened to get back to work. My controls seem to be working sometimes again and have not had a full blown attack since then. My worry is going back to hard physical work..Will it come back...Has anybody else had an experience when working hard that this has happened and how did they tackle returning to the situation. Any advice would be appreciated as although the doctors say it was due to hay fever and temp weather etc you know the mind is hard to convince although new nasal steroid spray is good. Thanks for any advice. Stuart

Jamesflames
27-07-13, 13:11
Hot weather seems to make all these things much worse for me too. Will you have a panic attack again? You might but as we all know the panic can't do you any damage and will just make you feel crap for a while. As an agoraphobe I think you ought to make sure you don't start to avoid things to avoid panic. It is really easy to think that whatever you were doing made you panic but if you start to avoid anything you will have a much harder job later on.
It sounds like you have a constant high stress state which might be worth trying to deal with. I have found that deliberately setting aside relaxation time can be very worthwhile. Do some meditation or cycling or airfix or whatever makes you feel really calm. If you can do a bit of relaxation every day you should find that the calm carries over into the rest of life and generally lowers your stress levels.
Good luck.

stuboy111
27-07-13, 13:23
Thanks for the response your right in what you say totally and to hear it from somebody else makes me more determined not to avoid situations. Just bought a new bike so will give it a go. Thanks for taking the time to read my story and you take care..

Jamesflames
27-07-13, 14:36
Good luck with that. Cycling is great for anxiety. Find a nice chilled out route and get into a good rhythm. Let your body work while your brain zones out.

Bonnibelle
27-07-13, 14:44
Sounds very similar Stuboy. It's how my agoraphobia started, I had panic attacks which caused me to avoid doing things that may cause panic and then I soon became agoraphobic.

Carry on doing the things you want to do, prove to yourself it's all in the mind :)

Kim51
27-07-13, 20:14
Sounds very similar Stuboy. It's how my agoraphobia started, I had panic attacks which caused me to avoid doing things that may cause panic and then I soon became agoraphobic.

Carry on doing the things you want to do, prove to yourself it's all in the mind :)

Me to my panic attacks caused me to be agoraphobic in a matter of days and it has been pure hell getting out and about again and even now it is only very short distances in my safety zone, so keep getting out there don't let that terrible thing agoraphobia ruin your life. Good luck :hugs::hugs: