PDA

View Full Version : scared to take medication

fisher
15-10-06, 18:26
hi everyone i wondered if you could help, i suffer from gen anxiety disorder, i need help but dont know what to do, i am scared to see the doctor because i wont go on medication i would be scared of having an allergic reaction and then i would be scared of the anxiety, i am aswell worried because your doctor puts in your medical notes that you suffer from anxiety, i work in a hospital on a ward and when we have handovers they tell you all about the patients past medical history, and anxiety they put it down to having a mental health disorder, and if i had to go into hospital they would know about my past history,i would love to see a phsycologist but dont know were to begin to find one, anyone got any advice x

tam
15-10-06, 18:51
HI FISHER FIRST OF ALL I DIDNT WANT MEDICATION BUT IN THE END I HAD TOO, AND THEY DO HELP ME .THERE CAN BE SIDE AFFECTS BUT IF THEY DONT WORK FOR YOU THE DOCTOR WILL CHANGE THEM UNTIL YOU FIND ONE THAT SUITS YOU.I THINK YOU SHOULD GO AND SEE THE DOCTOR AND HAVE A CHAT IF NOTHING ELSE EXPLAIN HOW YOU FEEL.ALSO THE DOCTOR WILL BE ABLE TO GET YOU TO SEE A COUNCILLOR/PHSYCOLIGIST.ALSO DONT WORRY ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES FINDING OUT,IM SURE YOUR NOT ON YOUR OWN , THERE ARE LOADS OF PEOPLE WHO SUFFER WITH ANXIETY WHO WORK FOR THE NHS,I THINK YOU NEED TO MAYBE MENTION THIS TO THE DOCTOR AND IM SURE HE/SHE WOULD PUT YOUR MIND AT EASE WITH THIS.TAKE CARE TRACY:)

lisa smith
15-10-06, 19:00
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">HI FISHER FIRST OF ALL I DIDNT WANT MEDICATION BUT IN THE END I HAD TOO, AND THEY DO HELP ME .THERE CAN BE SIDE AFFECTS BUT IF THEY DONT WORK FOR YOU THE DOCTOR WILL CHANGE THEM UNTIL YOU FIND ONE THAT SUITS YOU.I THINK YOU SHOULD GO AND SEE THE DOCTOR AND HAVE A CHAT IF NOTHING ELSE EXPLAIN HOW YOU FEEL.ALSO THE DOCTOR WILL BE ABLE TO GET YOU TO SEE A COUNCILLOR/PHSYCOLIGIST.ALSO DONT WORRY ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES FINDING OUT,IM SURE YOUR NOT ON YOUR OWN , THERE ARE LOADS OF PEOPLE WHO SUFFER WITH ANXIETY WHO WORK FOR THE NHS,I THINK YOU NEED TO MAYBE MENTION THIS TO THE DOCTOR AND IM SURE HE/SHE WOULD PUT YOUR MIND AT EASE WITH THIS.TAKE CARE TRACY:)

<div align="right">Originally posted by tam - 15 October 2006 : 18:51:43</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

lisa smith
15-10-06, 19:07
hi there. i dont know what happened to that reply, but it saying i sent it. ANYWAY. IM ALSO SCARED TO TAKE MEDICATION, AS IVE SEEN WHAT IT CAN DO TO PEOPLE. I SEE A COUNCELLOR ONCE A WEEK, AND SHE HAS HELPED ME A LITTLE. IM ALSO REGISTERED WITH A GYM, SO I HOPE THIS HELPS. I HAVE CRIED AND CRIED TODAY, WHICH I HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE, SO THAT HAS SCARED ME. PLEASE CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE..

rosebud
15-10-06, 20:04
hi lisa

sorry to hear your not having such a good day. i have days when i feel very tearful. i have been very depressed recently. can,t really give you any advice just hang in there. hope you feel better soon.
traceyxxx

honeybee3939
15-10-06, 20:28
Hi fisher,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day.

Dont be afraid of seeing the doctor, im sure he/she will be able to give you some good advice, and it dosnt always involve taking medication, maybe the doctor could refer you to see a councillor. I used to be like you, i hated the thought of medication, but to be honest it gave me the boost i needed to get back on track. Also i wouldnt worry about your medical history there are plenty of people whom work for the NHS that have or suffered from Anxiety related illnesses.

You take care fisher

Hugs to you

Andrea
xxxx

yorkylover
15-10-06, 23:27
Hi fisher,I am the same with medication,scared to death of the side affects.I am now on antidepressants and beta blockers.I needed the meds,and I feel better for it.Your gp can refer you and you may not need meds.
Take care;)

Ellen XX

tammye72
16-10-06, 06:24
Hi Fisher,
When I was first diagnosed with panic disorder I was too scared to take the medications my doctor gave me. I finally worked it out to take it with a family member present each day, as I was scared what my body's reaction might be. After a few weeks I felt comfortable to take my pills alone.
Don't be worried about being labeled as having this disorder. I used to be afraid of that too, until I found out how common it is and how nice most people are when they find out what you are going through. Good luck to you. Don't be afraid to seek help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends and family.

http://www.livedtotell.com

wobily_lin
16-10-06, 11:15
Hi Fisher,

Sorry your not feeling so good. Going to your gp doesn't mean ur automatically going to need meds. Please go and discuss things with him/her. I like you am scared to take meds but in the end I did and ye know wot?? it was fine. So please try not to worry too much hun. If they gonna help you then if i was you id try anythilng. Just talk of your fears with your gp and take it from there. Taking meds is a personnal choice, No one can make you take them.
Hope you feel better soon hun.

Take care,

Lin.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

spiritofnow
23-10-06, 11:23
I am also afraid of takimg medicine. I had a bad experinence some two years ago with a generic form of prozac - after two days I was literally being affected. I couldnt think straight in fact I stood in my house crying because I coud not find matching socks for my son! I couldnt speack properly- all of this made my panic much worse! It took a good few months to feel okay again! That was my docs way of helping my attacks, it didn't suit me! I never want to have that feeling where I am out of control of something as soon as I swallow a pill. I re-act to most medicine and so only take or use natural remedies. I dont want to scare others off taking meds but I defintiley undertstand your reason not too. However I guess it is about finding the right balance and afterall I am still here![}:)]

freeyourspirit

bearcrazy
24-10-06, 14:53
hi, i am a teacher with anxiety disorder and was worried about the implication s of having a mental ilness. but hey, if someone said you had diabetes you'd take insulin! Mental illness is real too, and if meds help take them. We only get 1 chance at life, make it as easy for yourself as you can, its nothing to be ashamed of. I now wear a 'mind' band to school and dont care what people think!

bearcrazy
24-10-06, 14:54
hi, i am a teacher with anxiety disorder and was worried about the implication s of having a mental ilness. but hey, if someone said you had diabetes you'd take insulin! Mental illness is real too, and if meds help take them. We only get 1 chance at life, make it as easy for yourself as you can, its nothing to be ashamed of. I now wear a 'mind' band to school and dont care what people think!

creatrix
24-10-06, 15:03
I was terrified of medication at first. I finally went on Lexapro, which I heralded as a miracle, but then I realized that I didn't feel like myself and that it was muting my rational emotions. I'm on Zoloft now, have been for almost a year. It works. I'm still anxious sometimes, but the anxiety doesn't lead me to sabatoge my relationships and such any more. If I feel an attack, I take ativan, but I'm very careful with that because it is addictive. It definately does the trick, but I don't want to become dependant on it.

Good luck!!

Nat1
24-10-06, 22:14
I to worked in the NHS as a Student Mental Health nurse and had to go on medication. At the time I had taken some leave because I just couldn't concentrate on the course ar be a round any form of hospital. I feared going on medication or being refered to services because of my position, but I felt so bad that I had no choice. I faced my fears and went to the doctors. He put me on Seroxat and after a few weeks I felt 80% better, apart from a few side effects in the first week. Once feeling better I didn't care what my record said, and now I feel it was my anxiety that made me worried of what others thought. I then decided to leave my position and return to my first love of aviation, and rejoined the airline industry.

The NHS and hospital life was no good for a person with health anxiety, although I do still suffer today but work distracts me from it.

MissChampers
25-10-06, 14:59
I've always been wary of taking medication, but after 16 years of feeling anxious and panic attacks i'm now on my third day of Fluroxetine. I can't say I feel any different yet, just a bit woozy sometimes and a bit headachy but i'm gonna stick to it and hopefully it'll make me feel better than I have in the past 16 years.

sp33der
25-10-06, 15:22
I've been taking that for 2 weeks exactly now. I found it made me feel sick at first but also there is increased anxiety, it's been a tough couple of weeks but the doc has advised me to stick with it as things should apparently improve over the next week or so. My worst problem at the moment is not being able to sleep, I don't know if thet's the tablets or not. Last night/this morning after several panicky awakenings I got up at three am and took a Diazepam for the first time. Calmed me a bit but not enough to sleep again unfortunately, so I'm kinda tired and having a grotty sort of day! [:o)]

libbie
26-10-06, 11:17
hi i too am too afraid of the side effects of meds. or not being able to come off them. no matter how much people said it will help you, it just freaked me out thinking about it. i turned to the herbal source, rescue remedy is quite good, non addictive and no side effects, also councilling may help u. hope this helps
take care
libbie
feel free to pm me if your worried