PDA

View Full Version : Think im getting panic anxiety attacks?

anx mum
27-07-13, 20:18
Yesterday I had a full blown panic attack I felt I couldn't breath breathing was awful was getting various pains in chest and arm and felt extremely drained after it I ended up in tears thinking my heart was going to stop. Today I have woken up feeling rubbish all day I have been just going through the montions feel so anxious:weep: my breathing has felt strange and my mind is going into overdrive. Im on 15mg of diazepam a day and my doctor has upped my duloxentine although I haven't taken the extra yet as scared how I will be. Is there anyone to talk too im scared although ive felt like this before.

Stormsky
27-07-13, 20:21
Dont be scared, only make it worse, distract yourself

anx mum
27-07-13, 20:34
im trying too its awful my doc has upped my duloxentine to 80mg is anyone on this a day? Im scared too take it

ankietyjoe
27-07-13, 21:46
If it helps I can completely control my panic attacks (after suffering badly for several years) with meditation and thought swapping. I've never taken meds.

Nothing bad will happen to you from having PA's, that much I can assure you. It'll just feel really, really crappy.

Meditation is nothing more than taking your mind off itself and it really helps, but for now just sitting down and taking deep breaths while just letting whatever happens to happen might help in the short term.

anx mum
28-07-13, 20:26
hey, still not feeling good im really anxious and had 2 panic attacks today. Really weird just feels like im going through the montions. Im sick of these:weep:why do they keep coming back? Its always my breathing this really scares me to the point im in tears

Bonnibelle
28-07-13, 21:40
Have you read the Claire Weekes book, Self Help for your Nerves? I advise you do, it helps you to understand the panic symptoms and you'll lose the fear of them, therefore they become less frequent. It really has helped me. Xx

anx mum
28-07-13, 22:14
Yeah I read it last time I felt like this. Its scary everytime I feel anxious and panicky. All day ive been feeling like im going through the montions its horrid

skippy66
28-07-13, 22:20
Have you read the Claire Weekes book, Self Help for your Nerves? I advise you do, it helps you to understand the panic symptoms and you'll lose the fear of them, therefore they become less frequent. It really has helped me. Xx

This is very good advice.

Bonnibelle
29-07-13, 08:11
It helped me a lot after I was attacked, it helped me get a grip of my attacks that were stopping me going out. I'm re reading it after a blip last week, hoping it'll help me get a grip again and lose my fear x

anx mum
29-07-13, 21:06
Thank u pearl having a really horrid day been feeling anxious nothing really has calmed me down. My breathing dosent feel right it really scares me feels like my heart will just stop:weep:. With me it lasts all day feeling anxious

TheScript
29-07-13, 22:24
hey different breathing patterns can't make your heart stop - you're fine. i think the best thing is not to focus on your breathing and distract yourself. I promise you nothing bad can ever happen with the breathing thing, and there's nothing wrong with your heart.

anx mum
30-07-13, 20:34
Thank u both for listening. Im still getting anxiety and panic attacks:weep: been to doctors today cos last night had chest pain and tingling and worst of all couldn't breath. My doc couldn't find anything wrong so I kinda felt it was a waste of time I was in tears, im on diazepam but I don't think its working now. How do I get better?

Catherine84
31-07-13, 11:49
Hi anx mum,

I know exactly how you feel with the breathing anxiety - I currently have it and know just how scary it can be (I become so aware of it, I cannot 'let go' and breathe manually, worrying that I will 'stop' breathing if I don't concentrate on it).

I can't offer much advice, as I am still trying to beat it myself, but one thing I tell myself on bad days is how animals and babies don't have to think about their breathing - it is a natural reflex. After all, if we all had to concentrate on it 24/7 to stay alive, a lot of us wouldn't have survived five minutes! Also, I try and reassure myself that my body takes care of it when I am asleep, and that I have managed to breathe perfectly fine for the last 28 years. Even if you do find yourself hyperventilating, nothing bad will happen to you - you may well feel rubbish and lightheaded, but the symptoms are harmless. Even if you were to pass out, which is highly unlikely, your body would then immediately resume breathing as normal, you would regain consciousness and be fine :-).

I hope you feel better soon and you are in my thoughts,
Catherine x

anx mum
31-07-13, 20:56
Thank u for your post. I haven't had the best day today my chest was aching and I couldn't breath so took myself to a and e. They said they couldn't find anything apart from my pupils were dilating I don't know what that means:shrug:. Also saw my shrink and shes upped my meds so hoping I will feel better soon. This breathing symptom is the worst.

anx mum
01-08-13, 20:38
Please can someone talk to me im a total mess. I think my anxiety and panic has come back im in a right mess:weep:. Everyday im in tears getting chest pain and pains in arm feel like I cant breath which is scaring me. Had ecg yesterday which doc said was ok just feel awful and scared.

ankietyjoe
02-08-13, 11:45
I also have the breathing issues and everything you describe.

The reality is that if you've been to A&E and the GP and they're telling you nothing is wrong, then nothing is wrong.

You need to find a way to accept how you're feeling right now, and let it pass.

Google vipissana.

anx mum
02-08-13, 20:57
How do u cope with it? I wake up with it and it last all day it scares me. I know I should believe the doctors but feel so rubbish how do I overcome this?

ankietyjoe
02-08-13, 21:10
How do u cope with it?

You just have to, there's no other way.

As hard as it seems now, you will find a way to just let it happen and accept it for what it is right now.

It is the fear of the fear that's worse than any symptom, trust me on that.