PDA

View Full Version : Aura + Migraine + birth control = risk of stroke?? :(

Leafmealone
28-07-13, 07:20
Sorry, I'm back again with my fear of stroke... Now i'm concerned because I currently take birth control (levora) and I have been taking it for 2 years, HOWEVER, I recently got my first two migraines with aura a few months ago. I suspect that they may be menstrual migraines because I got them a month apart and a week before the end of my cycle? Well anyway, I'm scared now because I haven't been to the doctors in a while to discuss my new migraine experiences and have their word on whether I should stop taking the hormones due to a possible risk of stroke or change my prescription. I'm so worried :(

mummyanxious
28-07-13, 07:50
I had a couple of aura only migraine when I was pregnant the first time and I wasn't allowed back on the combined pill afterwards. I had to have the progesterone only pill.

backfromthebrink
28-07-13, 11:42
If you have had any aura migraines at all, they will want to stop your combined pill - which levora is.

However don't worry, there are lots of different progesterone-only pills out there to try. I actually prefer progesterone only pills: No estrogen at all, and much less progesterone. As a result they usually have far fewer side effects. They can make you bleed irregularly at first though, but after a few months that usually settles. If it doesn't try another type of POP.

Go back to your doctor and let them know about your migraines.