PDA

View Full Version : new to forum, but really need someone to talk to

cmartin1
28-07-13, 20:09
Just having some issues coping this afternoon. Thank you for considering!

SarahH
28-07-13, 20:14
Whats up?:)I'm sure someone can help to reassure you x

cmartin1
28-07-13, 20:23
Thank you Sarah. I really appreciate that you have replied. I am fearful because I have made some mistakes at my new job. I am new to my profession too, but have a graduate degree in it. The worse part is, in addition to myself I am also financially responsible for my bf, who has not been able to work for 6 years because of anxiety. My anxiety is strictly work-related, so I feel I should be able to just keep the stiff upper lip. I also derive my self-work off of my ability to do well in this profession that I have chosen.

SarahH
28-07-13, 20:30
Having a stressful job and then stress at home can be debilitating. I've been there. You may think you have made mistakes at work but until you know for certain that you have there is nothing you can do about it. I dont mean to sound dismissive, I am trying to reassure you. Can you do something to distract your thoughts for the evening? (other than be on NMP). Going over and over things in you head will cause even more anxiety.

Sarah

cmartin1
28-07-13, 20:42
I know for certain I have made mistakes.Technically, my initial thoughts on how to handle one aspect was correct, but I was wrong in other areas. It's nothing that is beyond correction, but it will cost my employer some shipping money ($50-100). I at least identified problems and solutions, but those solutions came from another professional in the field who has more experience (a trusted advisor). My anxiety is related to not having enough experience for the new job that I have.

Oddly enough, rituals like collecting all of the advice my advisor gave me and keeping a log helps me deal with this all better. I avoided it all this weekend, and today is my day to deal with it. I also have a staff meeting tomorrow, so dealing with it now so I can report it al in the best light tomorrow is important.

I think I have to allow myself to make mistakes, and report on it in a way that isn't so self-judgemental. I can't convince myself entirely, but I want my staff presentation to at least sound that way. Does that make sense?