PDA

View Full Version : Serotonin Syndrome

krisdeancooper
28-07-13, 23:02
I upped my dose of Citalopram to 15mg about 2 and a half months ago. Today I started feeling kind of weird around 21:00 so I decided to self medicate with some Citrus Carling Zest. After a beer and a half I called it quits and decided to pop off to bed. I noticed that my pupils were quite dilated and wasn't sure if they were reacting to light or not. Next thing I know I get a massive cold shiver throughout all of my body and I rushed downstairs and got out of the house for a little walk. I got back in and I'm feeling a bit calmer but I'm really worried I might have this. Can anyone reassure me?

To add, I am a smoker. I thougvht maybe the Carling had grapefruit in but not sure.

KeeKee
28-07-13, 23:44
Sounds like a panic attack to me. They can range from mild to severe. I used to take fluoxetine and everyttime I drank alcohol on it I felt poorly so haven't drank for over a year. I'm now on citalopram but am afraid to drink in case it makes me ill.

krisdeancooper
28-07-13, 23:57
I've developed quite a dry mouth, some nausea and still can't shake the feeling of these pupils having something wrong with them. I don't have a temperature and I don't find it hard to breath though. Can anyone please reply quickly? I really need for this to get answered cause I'm too scared to sleep.

Lilharry
29-07-13, 00:23
Probably a reaction to the alcohol - likely you are intolerant to wheat. You may just have to ride it out, but I'd stay away from the beer if I were you. Call healthline if you are worried though.

joelhall
29-07-13, 11:56
Well it's certinaly not serotonin sundrome or allergies, so you needn't worry about those. Simply sounds like you panicked after seeing your pupils were dilated, and what you're describing isn't like any acute illness. Remember that even small changes in light intensity lead to pupil dilation, as does SSRI use.