PDA

View Full Version : Still waiting an ATOS appointment after a year

Gregor
29-07-13, 13:47
I think i must be the only person who is actually desperate to go to their ATOS assessment!

The thing is i've been on ESA for just over 12 months and am still on the Assessment Rate! before it didn't bother me or, rather, i was happy enough not to have to go to my medical. However, i've just done my sums and the amount the DWP owe me due to being underpaid is about £1300. Now, ordinarily that's a lot of money, but it just so happens that i am currently about £1000 behind on my rent. The irony. I am very close to being evicted from my flat, unless i can start paying chunks off.

I've contacted the DWP and they say i'm basically in the waiting pile with ATOS. I decided to phone ATOS myself and they said the same thing and couldn't give any sort of timeframe for this to get sorted.

I'm worried because, firstly i need to arrange an appointment, then i have to find a way of getting there when i can't even cross the road, then sit through their mundane drivel and then anxiously await for a reply, which, as we all know has a 50% chance at best of me being confirmed as unfit for work.

flossie
29-07-13, 18:19
You can't hurry ATOS. They work to their own timescale. I had my migration from IB to ESA in Feb 2012 and didn't have my medical until 16 months later. It's way too long for anxiety sufferers, in fact I think it's bordering on cruel. My condition deteriorated a great deal in that time.
Have you spoken to your GP about having to go to the assessment centre?
Mine wrote a letter confirming that I would be unable to travel and requested that my medical be held at home. If your GP would do this for you then it can be sent to ATOS now along with any other evidence you may have obtained. Make and send a copy, don't trust ATOS not to 'lose' it or declare it was not received.

I was put in WRAG which means that I am expected to attend work-focused interviews. There is no way I can get there and I'm not going to get stressed about it. As I couldn't get through to Citizens Advice by phone I wrote to them explaining this. They put me in contact with a Legal Aid worker who visited me at home and has taken over my appeal to be put in the Support group.
It may be a good idea to get in contact with CAB now as they may be able to help or put you in touch with the right person for your case and help you keep your home.
Don't go through this on your own if there is someone who can help you and take some of the worry off your shoulders.