PDA

View Full Version : swollen tonsil

kerri
29-07-13, 21:50
Hi, I have had a feeling of something stuck in my throat for about 5 weeks and then 2 weeks ago I saw a white patch on tonsil, I went to see my GP and she prescribed nasal spray. Well the spray hasnt helped and now my left tonsil is about twice the size of my right tonsil. I am driving myself crazy with thoughts of throat cancer :scared15:

Freaked
30-07-13, 16:08
Sounds a lot more like a persistent infection than cancer to me. I'm no doctor, but is that how throat cancer actually manifests? Don't know why your doc gave you a nasal spray for it. Did she think it was coming from your sinuses?

kerri
30-07-13, 16:33
My doctor thought it might be post nasal drip. I went to see a different doctor today and he gave me antibiotics as he thinks its tonsilitis, im not convinced as I have had tonsilitis in the past and this is nothing like it. I will take the antibiotics and see what happens

Speranza
30-07-13, 17:54
Hi, there are lots of things it might be. If it responds to antibiotics, well and good. If not, it could still be a viral tonsillitis I guess - but I'm NOT a doctor. I have had this for a few years and read about tonsil stones and thought it was that - but actually mine was a tonsil cyst, perfectly fine, they did drain it once or twice and monitor it in case it was cancerous, but it wasn't, and in the end it went away.

Just wait and see how you get on with the antibiotics. Good luck! Keep us posted. x