PDA

View Full Version : Claiming JSA

dazed_confused
30-07-13, 03:28
Hi, I am intending to apply for JSA in the near future, and having depression and anxiety I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice. It's about a year since I became eligible for this benefit, but due to stubbornness/my conditions I've never completed an application (although I did apply in March but later withdrew it due to a bad bout of anxiety).

I have a few queries, like if it would be beneficial mentioning my mental health problems at the interview? I guess I don't have anything to lose in mentioning it. And what materials will I need to take with me? I'll need a CV, two forms of ID and bank statements, but might there be anything else? I'm aware of the work placement scheme, is it likely I could be forced onto that? Could anyone with personal experience of claiming this benefit give me any additional pointers or advice?

From what I've read, a lot of people on this benefit who are sincerely going about their business are facing problems with things like sanctions and warnings. From what I can gather, the advisers have been ordered to be more strict with claimants and are handing out sanctions seemingly randomly. This has fuelled a lot of anxiety over applying, worrying about becoming one of their victims. Just generally, thinking and reading about applying is quite anxiety inducing.

Thanks for any help you can give.

flossie
30-07-13, 12:37
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I don't know much about JSA so am probably not the right person to reply. I just wanted to say that I think that you should be totally honest about your mental health in exactly the same way you would declare any other condition that affects you. It may be important in making any appeal against the way you are treated in the future - I'm not saying that you will be treated badly or unfairly - just that if you haven't informed them then they cannot take it into consideration when helping find the right position for you.
You could contact your local CAB to see if they will be able to answers your questions and help fill the forms to take into account your mental health worries.