PDA

View Full Version : Repetitive thinking?

TheScript
30-07-13, 08:29
I keep thinking of the same things. The same thoughts keep poppin up in my mind. I feel like my brain is stuck in a loop?
Is this anxiety or am i losing it?

Kim51
30-07-13, 09:22
Hi it's anxiety I have suffered with it for years, really gets me down when I can't stop it wish our heads came with on off switch. :)

bagpuss75
30-07-13, 11:39
Yep, this is how my anxiety manifests itself.
It sucks.
I have been referred for counselling/ CBT through my doctor, so I'm hoping that helps.

TheScript
31-07-13, 11:27
Thanks. How do i stop this? The more i try not to think toughts the more i get them

debbsi
31-07-13, 21:08
thats the problem - you are resisting the thoughts which makes it worse. You need to observe and accept them for what they are - just thoughts - not real. Then let them go, the less attention you pay to them the smaller they get and disapear. If you attend to them they get bigger and bigger.
It sounds easy - but its not, I can recommend reading up on mindfulness, it will complement the cbt, but you have to stick to it.
Ive been a sufferer for years, cbt wasnt enough for me, I find mindfulness is helping more

Tessar
31-07-13, 22:10
I get this too. If I try to ignore them, it also makes them worse. You could look into MINDFULNESS. I am just starting to do that myself.
My problem is letting the thoughts go. I am so used to taking note and engaging deeply in whatever it is in my mind, that I feel letting them go would mean I am going to miss out on something I should be dealing with. I know logically I need to wean myself of getting too involved in my thoughts. thoughts if the oast. fears over the future. I know the anser is not focusing on these things and instead existing in what is going on right now around me. Easier said than done.

These are the benefits of mindfulness..... The third one down is interesting and very relevant to your post......

*A greater connection with the body, thereby being able to act better in it’s interests.
*Improved personal relationships, as mindfulness helps place a check on automatic reactions; it also enables us to listen more effectively
*A greater acceptance of troublesome thoughts and emotions. Mindfulness also allows us to let go of these before they can develop and have a negative impact on us.
*There is growing medical evidence that regular meditation makes positive improvements to the way the brain works and also other aspects of the body.
*Improvements to memory, concentration and cognitive ability.
*A dramatic reduction in levels of stress and anxiety.
*An improved ability to fall to sleep at night.
*An improved relationship with pain brought about by learning how to accept the pain and become more at peace with it instead of being locked in constant struggle.
*A general feeling of wellbeing.
*A rise in productivity brought about by being able to deal with distractions more effectively.
*Increased creativity brought about by being able to let go of doubts that otherwise might be a hindrance to creativity.