PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain caused by indigestion

stimpy
29-06-04, 12:58
For the last few weeks I have been suffering, on and off with dreadful indigestion.

It starts as a dull ache in my chest and moves through to my back.
I've used traditional remedies, like "Rennies" and "Windeze" to the more chemical based stuff like "Tagamet".
[V] But none of these things seem to work. I find myself making myself sick, just to get rid of the pain, so that I can get some sleep.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any point even trying to eat anything.
Would it not be easier to cut out the middle man, and just put the food straight down the toilet?
If I'm not waiting, wondering and panicing if the indigestion will start, then I am being sick.

I seem to be spending at least 2 nights a week with my head down the loo.

I've tried eating little and often.
I've tried making sure I was sitting up straight while eating.
I've tried not eating after 7pm at night.
I've even tried laying off fizzy pop.

But sooner or later the indigestion comes back with a vengance.

Steve says I should go to the doctor, but the truth is I am scared stiff.
The what if's start invading my brain, and before I know it I have told myself I have some terminal or rather nasty complaint and they are going to do horrid things to me in hospital.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

megs
29-06-04, 16:12
HI Liz

I was sufferin with a dull ache in my chest nearly every evening for a few weeks. I was taking a lot of nurofen at the time for tooth ache and found when I stopped taking it the pain stopped. Have you been taking any kind of anti inflammatory or anything?

The other thing is do you eat quickly cos that can cause indigestion? I used to be a really slow eater until I started with this anxiety but now for some reason I seem to eat much quicker.

Apart from that anxiety can cause indigestion itself so I'm sure its nothing to worry about.

Megs
xxx

nomorepanic
29-06-04, 16:25
Hi Liz

I get terrible indigestion too!!

Once when I had it bad, I was in tears with the pain and I couldn't sleep at night cos I couldn't lay down. I still get bouts of it but the doctor gave me some medication called "Losec". It is superb and clears it up in a day.

Sounds like you could have gastro-enteritius (spelling?) and that can be easily cured.

Honestly Liz pop along to the doc and get a check over. It is a horrid pain and I know that I ended up calling the emergency doc out once cos I was sick and in so much pain.

It will be fine ok.

I just posted another message about things to relieve pain - these include sipping a glass of peppermint (this really used to help me), milk and cut out all alcohol, cigarettes and spicy/acidy foods.

You will need to sleep sitting up and I know that is un-comfortable!!

Oh and for quick relief the only thing that worked for me was alka-seltzer!

Let us know how it goes ok?

Nicola

stimpy
01-08-04, 03:51
Well, I still haven't been to the doctors yet.... [:I]

And I did the one thing that I tell everyone NOT to do.
Which is look at the problem on the internet, as it fills your mind with the worst possible thoughts.

And it did...

So according to the internet I am now suffering with non silent gallstones and they are going to cut me open as soon as I get near a doctor. :(

Guess what happened next - PANIC !
Tears, shaking, gasping for breath, heart pounding.

I spent the whole day decorating the playhouse just to keep me busy.
Infact it is nearly 4 am and I am still going, just so I don't have the space to start thinking.

Mind you I don't think I am going to get out of it.
I think Steve is going to drag me to the doctors on Monday. Whether I like it or not.

Liz xxx

Meg
01-08-04, 09:46
if you've been haviung unexplained indigestion since you first posted Steve is right to take you to the doctors !

I don't think it is gall stones as you would have at least 2 other symptoms that you haven't mentioned...

Many anxiety sufferers develop chronic acid reflux / indigestion as a result of continued acid over production stimulated by those adrenaline rushes.

As Nic says there are some marvellous meds for this now until your innards heal.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

april tones
03-08-04, 21:48
hi liz, havent posted for ages, i had this, does it feel like rumbling ache in back, like you want to massage out? i had with anti biotics, it went after, love april x

apriltones

stimpy
15-08-04, 02:14
[^] Well I have still managed to escape the doctors.

Mainly because as soon as I am threatened with it the symptoms go away for 3 or 4 nights.

Eating late at night or eating foods that are too greasy seem to be the main cause of it.

It does say on the sertraline (zoloft) box that excessive indigestion is one of the side effects. - so that could explain a bit of it.

Liz xxx

stimpy
23-08-04, 02:47
[Ugh]
:( I had to admit defeat.

The pain in my chest, shoulders, lower back, upper stomach and the fact that I had been sick solidly for 2 hours finally beat me.
So much infact that I called the emergency doctor myself.

I've been given Metoclopramide and Lansoprazole.
I was told that if the symptoms continued that I should see my own doctor and he would send me for a gastroscope.

Just the mention of the word was enough to make my extreme nervousness of the doctors room send me in to tearful hysterics.
I have to admit I am 100% terrified!

After visiting the doctor, taking my medication I then took to my beloved sofa and slept for nearly 24 hours.

Liz xxx

Meg
23-08-04, 14:57
Is it really defeat Liz...?

An alternative viewpoint that you have now decided to win by getting help and preventing any further damage occuring.

We know that having medium/long term symptomatic anxiety does cause erosion of the stomach/duodenum lining so it was unlikely that these pains/symptoms would spontaneously disappear.

Thus now you are having some reasonable treatment you should start to have less pain and be causing yourself less harm and indeed allow yourself to start to heal and therefore hopefully avert the need to go for a gastroscopy which would cause you further distress..

It is common for anxiety sufferers to be on long term Proton Pump Inhibiters like your lansoprazole.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

stimpy
24-08-04, 12:44
[8)] Oh thank you Auntie Meg, I feel so much better.

After doing some research on the internet I eventually found out what my tablets were for. I couldn't understand a word the doctor said, and even if I had of done, I was too hysterical after the "G word" was used to take in anything else. [V]
(Although Steve seemed to understand him well enough.)

The Lansoprazole is apparently to keep the acid in it's place so it doesn't burn the bits it shouldn't.
The Metoclopramide is to stop me feeling sick and help my food to digest.
If the doctor had told me that plainly I don't think I would have felt half so bad. [Sigh...]

I've been on the medication for 3 days now and so far not a twinge of the dreaded indigestion. [^]

However... I did have 2 small panic attacks after eating.
Oh why did I eat ... Should I make myself sick now just incase... What if the medication doesn't work. (You know the drill.)

Liz xxx

nyki913
19-09-12, 11:14
i know this post is very old, but i feel the same way, and lately the pain and indigestion are getting worse and more often, its to were making myself sick nolonger is helping, i have been on nexuim and that dont help either, i have a app with reg dr monday to see about going to see a gasorlisgt i cant take the pain nomore, waking up at 2 or 3am hurting so bad, and nothing working anymore, i am in same boat thinking of not eatting ughhhh:wacko: