PDA

View Full Version : Bloating, constipation, anxiety...

NE21 worrier
30-07-13, 21:53
Hello everyone,

Sorry for not posting again for a while though I guess it is a sign that things have been going well with me returning to work after a good holiday (my previous thread on here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138223)).

Certainly, I have been panic-free for a few months now, although unfortunately not entirely anxiety-free. My appointments with the CBT practitioner from the NHS began just last week so hopefully they will be useful in dealing with my anxiety (and the consequent fundamental lack of confidence) which has plagued my recent years. I am feeling optimistic that they will be.

At the moment, I would say that I have started to notice my anxiety levels have started to increase just in the last couple of days, as evidenced by the return of the psoriasis to my lower back. It is not a surprise really, as it is very busy on the phones at work (Tax Credit deadline is tomorrow), there are huge call queues - which I obviously cannot control - and an increase in complaints.

At the same time, I do *not* feel as if I am on the verge of a complete breakdown, like before with work, because this is a line of business which I am familiar with, and which I know I can do, no matter how stressful it seems.

My biggest bugbear, however, is my stomach/guts, which has felt v bloated and constipated over the last couple of days. I presume this is an IBS thing, linked to anxiety, as I've been getting quite sharp pains in my abdomen and it feels constantly as if I have a huge amount of gas which I need to pass.

Occasionally, I have managed to pass a considerable amount of wind all at once, usually - to much amusement - first thing on a morning, but all my recent visits to the bathroom have been rather frustrating experiences, leading too much straining but very little being passed into the toilet bowl.

I suppose, in this instance, I am not really following the great advice of Dr Claire Weekes by fighting the sensation (i.e. by straining) rather than letting it pass. However, this is easier said than done as I almost have a natural urge to strain - to try and pass wind/set off a motion. Indeed, I must have tightened my stomach muscles on three or four occasions just as I have written this. Meanwhile, my lower intestines seem to be making a lot of gassy noises right now.

Anyone got any ideas how to relieve this bloating/constipation? Any medications or remedies worth trying? As I say, my anxiety is generally at a manageable level right now and, as Dr Weekes advises, I am trying not to be too impressed by the symptom. Just looking for an extra helping hand, really.

Thanks for reading,
Peter

Lilharry
31-07-13, 00:54
Enteric peppermint oil capsules are fantastic - you get them from the pharmacy. Cut right back on sugar and wheat and start eating probiotic food - plain acidophilus yogurt, kefir, fermented vegetables, or get some probiotic capsules. Lots of vegetables but not too much fruit as that ferments in your gut and causes wind. You might feel worse at first, but stick with it and you'll start to feel better. Sugar and wheat has a lot to answer for. I have cut both of these things out completely.