PDA

View Full Version : 26 year old afraid of dying.

leahy1987
31-07-13, 12:34
Hi My Name is Ross im 26 years old i have suffered panic/anxiety attacks for 9 years now I have had every test under the sun and the doctors cant find anything actually medically wrong with me.
But that still dosnt help as i live in fear everyday that something terrible is about to happen to me im terrified that i am going to die of a heart attack. It is a hundred times worse when i am on my own as is proberly quite common but has anybody else had these kind of problems and managed to have some success with dealing with it if so would love to hear.

Thank You.

Speranza
31-07-13, 13:35
Hi Ross, and :welcome:

Absolutely LOADS of people on here know exactly what you feel like; it's something which hasn't worried me for very many years but I remember how it feels and I can also tell you that it can go. Meanwhile nobody here will laugh at you but if you reach out and ask they will offer strategies. I hope you've found a few threads to look at by now.

Welcome!

Gill

Edward_1980
31-07-13, 13:39
Hi and welcome Ross :welcome:

A lot of people here go through exactly the same thing as you do. I, for one, used to be terrified of dying. Just the other day I thought I was having a massive heart attacks. It was just anxiety and my fear taking over and giving me the main symptoms of a heart attack. You will find a lot of support here.

CharlieM
31-07-13, 14:38
Hi Ross,

I am another one with heart attack fears. I have started CBT but it is too soon to say if it is working as only had two sessions.

I am also on meds for the pain. They are helping. I only check my pulse ten times a day now instead of the 50+ times I used to.

My best advice is to keep busy when possible. Also, when you feel a symptom, just go with it and remind yourself nothing bad happened when you had same symptom before.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Charlie

leahy1987
31-07-13, 16:46
Thank You all for your words of encouragement i hope to have an update soon on how im doing just waiting for psychiatry appointment i if anybody wants to chat im always around and hopefully my work will continue to understand that im trying to get better.

One last thing my relationships with my family are strained because im the only one in my family who struggles with mental ilness they try to understand but cant full grasp it because they don,t suffer any ideas on how i can try and share with them so they can understand where i come from.

SarahH
31-07-13, 17:40
There is a book but I am not sure if I am allowed to plug it on here which may help your family understand. It's called Anxiety For Dummys and can be found at Amazon.

Sarah

Hope you get this:)

leahy1987
31-07-13, 18:32
Thank You for the recommendation Sarah much appreciated i have just purchased a copy hopefully now my family will understand abit better as well as me regaining some confidence that this will all end or at least i will be able to cope and live with it.

Thanks again Ross.