PDA

View Full Version : jUst Started CBT I am impressed

LLADDIS
16-10-06, 23:21
I have just started CBT and am just 2 sessions in
I have been a long term anxity sufferer for at least 7 yrs or more and touch wood within 2 weeks of treatment I can already say it appears to be working for me
I have bought the Greenberger and padesky book "Mind over Mood" and can identify with the examples
I still have a way to go :D
But for the first time in years of gloomy acceptance I now see some light starting to appear at the end of the tunnel

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN

Wenjoy
17-10-06, 07:22
Hi there
Me too - I have bought the same book on amazon and am working through it with my CBT lady - she is trying to get me to analise panic thoughts and rationalise them with positive thoughts eg - Its hot in here and Im gonna faint and have a panic attack - to change that to - it is hot in here but I can take my coat off and everyone else is hot too and Im fine.

I have only had 3 sessions and am about to read chapter 4 but its weird analysing thoughts and trying to work out "hot" thoughts and change it into a verified proper thought rather than an irrational one.

Like you - it is helping me - and so is doing a relaxation cd every day and going to the gym twice a week as well.

I still get panicky in a hot place where I feel trapped but she is teaching me strategies for diverting my mind away from the hot negative thoughts.

Keep in touch as it will be interesting to see how you are doing as well.

Love Wenjoy x

LLADDIS
17-10-06, 19:46
It sounds like we are at about the same point - It does seem a bit confusing to me too - but it kind of makes sense
I struggle a little with separating the automatic thoughts and the evidence to support them .I tend to lump them all together ...
I have noted this difficulty down ready for my next session ..I guess in some respects its because whenever I have a thought my analytical mind (science trained) starts to define it

Good luck and Do please keep in touch - its kind of nice to know that I have got a study buddy :)

nomorepanic
18-10-06, 19:41
LLadis

Could you possibly tell us a bit about what the therapist is doing and how it is helping.

I like to know so I can refer people to posts such as yours in the future.

Thanks

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Munchkin
20-10-06, 11:39
and that light at the end of the tunnel, will get brighter and brighter, i am sure! it has for me. CBT is awesome, and I hope it helps you! xx

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

LLADDIS
22-10-06, 16:52
I will give a report towards the end of my CBT - my therapist has helped me to unearth some very relevant info which would at present make me quite vulnerable as I need to get it a bit better in proportion before I could disclose it in public . I am sure that pretty soon I will be Ok to be open about it ...
I am 3 weeks into things and am still quite pleased with the way things are going .I have surprised myself with some of the HOT THOUGHTS I have documented and gathered Evidence for (both negative and positive )
I am at the stage of starting to experiment by putting myself in the situations which used to cause me panic anxiety .There are some early promising signs that I can win this battle
I have however hit ONE big snag along the way whereas now I can ease my daytime symptoms I have been getting more sleep disturbance nightmares and waking up with anxiety symptoms without even realising why >i have posted in the forum in both Symptoms and This thread hoping for some way to get this in proportion
I am certainly going to carry on with the CBT as the pros are outweighing the cons so far

nomorepanic
22-10-06, 18:03
Thanks for the reply. When you are ready to tell us then please do so.

I replied to your other concern on the other post.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

LLADDIS
04-11-06, 09:55
Just to let people know taht the nightmares bit was short lived I am not sure why the change but I now have some realy GOOD dreams the details of which could mkae some of the readers here blush and perhaps chnage the nature of this forum ..lol
Still I am not complaining .I would advise anyone who hits my same sleeptime anxiety to stick with the CBT and get through the patch taht happened to me
Hugs and big THANK YOUs to everyone
XX JOHN XX

Buby
13-11-06, 18:01
Hey,

I started my CBT this time last year and, i feel that it has helped me in a way but most of the time, the suggestions and things we have done in session dont click in when i panic. its only afterwards when i feel relaxed do i identify with what i tlk about. Sometimes i can come out of the session feeling really positive but it only take one thing to remind me of things that make me nervous to get panicky. everyone says CBT is the best thing for panic/anxiety because it changes your way of thinking but for me it hasnt trained my brain to think any different.
I am having other therapy such as: alexander technique - acupuncture - and im doing the Paul Mckenna hypnotherpay thing from gmtv website.
but i still havent found the one thing that will cure me. I dont know what else to do now. I hate this time of year, its the worst for me and i occasionally have suicidal thoughts - although i would never do anything like that.

This year has been very eventful for me (in so many bad ways) and i cant find an escape from anything. This year has made me feel so bad, i jus hate the person i am.

sorry its gone a bit off course this post. i jus want to say so many things and i dont know here to post them all.

xx

Fly2Freedom
14-11-06, 16:57
Ratchit,I also feel very down at this time of year.
I just want to crawl away and hibernate.
All the best to you xx

Love & light to you x

LLADDIS
15-11-06, 10:56
Ratchit
I know what you mean It was like that for me in the beginning .. with things kicking in just too late But after a while of analysing afterwards it all seemed to slot into place and although I do still get panicky at times I now cope with it lots better and dont give it chance to take grip on me
You are so right this time of year is stressfull for everyone and maybe more of us suffer with SAD (seasonal affective Disorder )
Hugs to everyone XX
JOHN

LIFES A BEACH THEN THE TIDE COMES IN AND GIVES YOU CHANCE TO SWIM