PDA

View Full Version : best book for anxiety?

megan82584
01-08-13, 02:58
Hey guys. just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best book out there for anxiety and panic attacks. I want to go buy one but i want to get one that is worth the read!! thanks:yesyes:

colpat
01-08-13, 14:27
I'm reading the Anxiety and Phobia workbook by Edmound J. Bourne and it's pretty good. I also just purchased Claire Weeks, Hope and Help for your Nerves.

TheScript
01-08-13, 14:33
I agree, the claire weekes books are all really good.

megan82584
01-08-13, 16:02
awesome thanks for the input. im looking on ebay now to order:)

BobbyDog
01-08-13, 18:50
I'm reading the Anxiety and Phobia workbook by Edmound J. Bourne and it's pretty good. I also just purchased Claire Weeks, Hope and Help for your Nerves.
I will go with the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook too, sorry but Claire Weeks never did it for me.

joelhall
01-08-13, 18:52
In my experience, anything which is not even slightly related to anxiety - if only to help you focus on something else and take some time out from life.

cymraig_chris
02-08-13, 21:13
Best Books:
Anything by Dr Claire Weekes

Best anxiety info online:
Dr David Carbonell's website: www.anxietycoach.com/
Jeff's www.PanicEnd.com

And judge for yourself of this one:
www.nothingworks.weebly.com
(It would not be proper to say if it's any good because I wrote it.)

Sands
02-08-13, 22:21
Cymraig chris! Ur a legend! :)

cymraig_chris
02-08-13, 22:33
You are very kind.

I hope it helps.

In my opinion Dr Claire Weekes is the Patron Saint of Anxiety acceptance and removal, Dr Carbonell has all the correct credentials to ease the doubt and operates from a huge knowledge base of logic, experience and personal genius, Jeff is an all round good guy who has direct experience sound facts and a benevolent mission via a free site. Effectively they are all the same approach. The common denominator being acceptance. No small mention should go to this site either, which is fantastic.

Pipkin
02-08-13, 22:57
I second the nothingworks site - I think it's inspired and really worth a read.

Pip

OncewasSupergirl
02-08-13, 23:17
I've been using Claire Weekes book for over 10 years but agree the Anxiety n Phobia worknook is very good too. I shall be checking out the website above! X

Sands
02-08-13, 23:24
Nothing works is most definately the best anxiety read out there. I just need to lose the bad habit of reading and researching all things to do with anxiety. It's a very funny read too. Thanks chris so much. U are a legend I was most excited when I saw u were online tonight!

cymraig_chris
03-08-13, 00:29
Glad you liked the jokes and found it useful. Researching isn't always bad, just common sense moderation in balance with other pursuits. My past of researching was disproportionate to say the least. The main thing is to face fears objectively and disarm these fears into understanding their true non-dangerous nature. As Dr Weekes said in reference to anxiety symptoms ... None of these symptoms are important medically. As Jeff on panicend says ... Without fear they cannot exist. As Dr Carbonell so truthfully says ... You experience Discomfort, and get fooled into treating it like Danger.

With all these, it is our fear reaction to normal and healthy stimuli that causes the perceived problem. If we face the fears, in our own time, on our own terms then the 'disorder' will naturally reveal its true amity. Indeed initially it is an energetic amity, but an amity nonetheless.

If we then explore further, we discover that the disorder itself does not exist in any way. The disorder unmasked is ourselves observing ourselves protecting ourselves with adrenaline. We are literally fighting against nothing.

As it is a protection mechanism, the times when we feel most vulnerable are in fact the times when we are most safe.

Pipkin
03-08-13, 01:01
How are you Chris? Your letter is great and I always point people in its direction when they're anxious and don't understand what's happening to them. I forwarded the link to someone I work with and she's a different person now and never stops singing your praises. You did an excellent job with a sense of humour and you should be very proud - you've helped more people than you know.

Pip

cymraig_chris
03-08-13, 01:06
Wow, thanks Pipkin! That's a lovely thing to know. Tell her I said Hi.

And thank you, I'm fine. I've been busy working, playing guitar as usual and reading a lot of random stuff.

Pipkin
03-08-13, 01:42
Chris,

I'll tell her you said hi - she'll be really pleased. It took me years to work out that I'm the one who controls my anxiety. I wish I could have read your letter 20 years ago - it would have saved me a lot of time looking for answers to the unanswerable questions!

Look after yourself and keep up with the guitar playing and finger pulling!

Pip

megan82584
03-08-13, 05:26
Thank you all i will be checking them out!!!! ;)