PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks on fluoxetine and feeling worse than ever :(

rhpanic
01-08-13, 14:41
I have been on fluoxetine for 3 weeks so far for depression and anxiety. My anxiety attacks have become more severe and I am struggling so much in the mornings I feel like I just don't want to carry on anymore.

I have had to stay with my mum over 50 miles away from my home as my fiancé is currently working away at the moment and I can't cope being on my own.

I was made redundant from my job over a month ago and managed to get another job 3 weeks later but only lasted 2 days as my anxiety attacks became extremely bad. I feel like such a failure for having to quit after only 2 days.

I feel so guilty, ashamed and low. I'm so worried about never feeling normal again and losing everything...

Will this feeling ever get better?

R

aggiecuttler
01-08-13, 15:39
yes it will get better, unfortuntely fluoxtine takes its time to kick in and you will start to see the difference at about 6-8 weeks, stick with it and it will help you so much blessings

rhpanic
01-08-13, 15:51
Thank you for your reply. I will persevere and try and ride out the storm :(

Take care,

R x

Janine
01-08-13, 22:38
It will get better, I felt exactly like you are describing and had a very up down few weeks until nearly 6 weeks before I really started to feel better, your anxiety seems to go through the roof at times and it can make you feel absolutely at rock bottom. it is worth it in the end so just try and ride out the storm as you say.

xx

BellaBella88
01-08-13, 22:54
I know it can feel terrible while you're waiting for the fluoxetine to take effect, but remember that those early side effects are a sign that the medication has started to work.

For me, it took about five weeks until I stopped feeling low. The first two weeks seemed to be the worst. I find that it takes about 8 weeks to reach full effect.

It really is worth the wait. Let someone close to you know that you need a lot of support during this time. Also, when you're feeling okay, try reading CBT for anxiety and depression so that you can find ways to reduce or prevent another low.

Speranza
02-08-13, 06:10
Hang in there. :hugs:

rhpanic
02-08-13, 07:23
Thank you everyone. I just feel so bad this morning. Just want to sleep and never wake up. I don't feel like a person. Struggling to stop crying. I just can't see a way out of this darkness. The feelings are so overwhelming and I feel so alone.

Speranza
02-08-13, 07:28
It truly will pass. And it will be worth it.

rhpanic
02-08-13, 07:34
I don't think I can get through it.

sueamistad
02-08-13, 07:52
Hello there, are you still staying with Mum, can you ask her for a hug and to talk to you, maybe about when you were a little girl or about her life, anything to distract you mind.
I'm sitting here feeling much the same as you so believe me I do understand. Big hugs to you.

rhpanic
02-08-13, 11:21
I am still staying with my mum. I feel bad to even do that :( I can't stop crying and don't want to eat. I can't even get up out of bed today. I just feel so weak and pathetic. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so I will see what they say. I just can't imagine going on feeling this way.

Janine
02-08-13, 22:46
This exactly how I felt just under a year ago now, exactly as you are describing it, I did not realised that it was the pills making me feel like this as I did not find this forum until I was 4 weeks, I absolutely hit rock bottom and can totally get where you are coming from, just take it in small steps an hour at a time or even a minute, I know 6 weeks seems like an age away but you will feel better. have you anything to help you through I am on propanolol slow release which really helps and I did have some diazapam which lookig back i wished i had used more to help me through the really bad times, there is loads of support on here and it really helped m reading the success stories and knowing that there were others who were feeling just like me. xx

rhpanic
03-08-13, 07:04
I have woken up again so panicky and feeling so low. The feeling in my stomach is worse than ever. I just feel like I don't want to be alive anymore. I feel so guilty and ashamed of being so pathetic. I can't do anything for myself. I don't want to feel like this anymore. I don't know what to do.

BIGMEANPOSSUM
03-08-13, 08:28
I'd encourage you to talk to your doctor about changing meds. Maybe another medication would work for you. It's normal to go through what you are describing, but after reading your thread, I'm worried about how you are handling it. If you can hang with it I believe it can and will work, but if you don't believe you're improving at all after 3 weeks, maybe start discussing other options.

Hang in there, you CAN beat this.

MastiffMan
03-08-13, 14:38
rhpanic - This will pass. Sometimes in life we find ourselves in these positions and need to have faith and also rely on others. It is hard I know. It seems at times like it is the impossible thing to do. All you have to do is just open the door and let it begin. It will pass. That is guaranteed. I was thinking of times years ago when I lived with depression and anxiety for extended periods of time fueling myself with massive doses of benzos. That was not the answer but it was before many of the current medications. There are solutions out there but it is hard when one wants to feel better now. It will happen for you I am sure of it. Just hang in there, moment to moment if necessary. You will see the light.

rhpanic
03-08-13, 18:09
Thank you everyone. I saw the doctor today and he has upped my fluoxetine dose to 40mg a day so I will have to see how that goes. Still not strong enough to be at home on my own. I wish I could just be better now it is such a frustrating feeling. The guilt of not being able to cope is horrible. I can see that it's just about taking things slowly and trying not to be too hard on myself. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

rhpanic
04-08-13, 15:48
Unfortunately today has been the worst day so far. I have cried all day just lieing in bed. I feel so sick and don't want to eat or get up. I feel so awful. It's my second day of my upped dose of fluoxetine from 20mg to 40mg as directed by my GP. Could this just be the fluoxetine making me feel like this? I feel worse than ever and really feel like I can't carry on. I am still staying with my mum and my fiancé will be visiting me tonight as he has been working away so that is something to look forward to but I can't stop feeling so low and panicky.

Fras
04-08-13, 18:55
Rhpanic, upping your dose is probably similar to starting for the first time, in that you will feel worse before you get better. GP's unfortunately don't have much knowledge on depression and anxiety unless they have looked into it for other reasons, in my opinion.

Take comfort in the fact that you are taking steps to work out your problems, have a loving support network, and also that you may be experiencing temporary exacerbation of symptoms due to starting.prozac and changing dose.

Take your time and try to stay busy. Even walking in the garden is better than lying I'm bed. Dig deep you can do it.

rhpanic
05-08-13, 10:08
Thank you. It's bad again this morning. Woke up shaking and panicking and just wanting this all to end. I hope I can get through this, it is just such an empty horrible feeling at the moment. I know I am lucky to have all this support around me to help me pull through. Today's goal was to have a cup of tea and eat some porridge and I have managed that (as stupid and little as it sounds) I may go to the supermarket with my mum later if I'm feeling like I can so again that would be another step forward. A long way to go but I am trying.

Fras
05-08-13, 16:00
Good for you. Don't sell your achievements short. Be proud of them everyday it doesnt matter whether someone else would think it trivial. You will get through it one day at a time, just do your best to be positive and acknowledge that you are in no danger and your feelings have a root cause (distressing thoughts) which can and will change.

Janine
05-08-13, 22:15
Just have little goals and if you achieve them that is great but don't beat yourself up if you don't as gradually you will, it is probably the increase as to why you are feeling so bad but I was like that on 20mg, I am surprised your doctor did not give it a bit longer as it takes most people 5-6 weeks to start feeling better, and I know that when you are feeling so so bad it seems to be an age away, all I can say is I felt exactly like you and somehow I got through it and out the other side. xx

rhpanic
06-08-13, 08:32
Thank you Janine, that gives me some hope. Feeling awful again this morning. Feeling so empty and such a failure. I just want my life back. So worried that the longer it takes to get better that I will lose everything. Struggling to keep my mind off of all these things.

MastiffMan
06-08-13, 11:54
rhpanic

CBT or self talk may help keep things in perspective. I know when I am not feeling well my perspective is really off. I can catastrophize anything and everything. Over time I have learned to talk to myself and remind myself what is going on. What I am thinking at these times is not true and that it is my illness talking to me.

It may not alleviate the mental pain but it can straighten out my thinking to remain focused on what is really occurring. It does make it a bit more tolerable. With the way the world is today it is a tool that can come in helpful in many areas of life.

You will get through this. This will pass with time and as difficult as it may seem the only way to handle it is one day or moment at a time. You will grow from this and will start feeling better.

Praying for you.

rhpanic
06-08-13, 13:28
Thank you. I have been talking with my mum and she thinks it would be a good idea to see a counsellor. I haven't been able to get up out of bed, have a shower and stop crying. I feel so guilty and embarrassed that I feel like this. I wish that it would just go away.

Fras
06-08-13, 13:49
You have made it through every day of your life so far, and I am sure there has been good times and bad times. You will make it through this bad time to happier times. Just dig deep within yourself, we are all capable of great mental strength, everyone, I truly believe that. You might not feel it now, but it is there and you just have to find it.

One day soon you will wake up, and you will have had enough and say "do you know what, yes I do feel terrible today but I am fed up of not living my life, this must change, I will change it" and that is your first step on the road to feeling better.

It's inside you, don't give up.

Janine
06-08-13, 21:13
it will go away and you will feel better, I had days like you are describing, then I would have a couple of better days and then backwards again, I felt a failure, it was an effort to have a bath and wash my hair and that is not like me at all, just dont beat yourself up and just concentrate on getting through each day at a time.

xx

rhpanic
07-08-13, 07:01
I can't even get out of bed. I feel so so low. I can't have a shower or look at myself in the mirror. I feel so empty inside and so worried about everything. I feel like I will never get better. I'm so tired of crying and feeling like this but I can't get rid of the feeling. I'm frightened of being alone. The panic/anxiety when I wake up is so bad, my stomach feels so horrible. I'm struggling to see anything clearly.

MastiffMan
07-08-13, 13:32
Please do not confuse your integrity and resilience as a human being with your disease. I have dealt with depression for nearly 50 years. When I am in the state I do not tell a whole lot of people. In the best of intentions they want to rush in and find the event(s) that caused it. I have come to accept, while there may be sentinel event that pushed me over the edge, the reality is if I had been taking medication it probably would not have had the same result. My wife and I discussed the other day that medication needs to be a life long commitment for me. It is the same as a diabetic needing insulin. When I am depressed I continue my daily routine however devoid of meaning and feeling it may seem. In the beginning I did not do this. I ended up just retreating and waiting for it to end. I then found any action could help regardless of how small and insignificant it might seem at the moment. Writing in a journal exactly how I felt, taking a shower if even for only a minute or two, eating something regardless of how little or calling someone on the phone just to keep in touch. I have found that it is easier for me to act my way into a new way of thinking than to think my way into a new way of acting. I am praying for you rhpanic and know you will persevere and arise from this experience victorious. Acceptance is the key.

Mr. Pink Whistle
07-08-13, 14:30
Maybe fluoxetine is not the right med for you, there are many other SSRI's, SNRI's and Tricyclics which are available for depression and could be tried with care. The psychiatrist usually has to find the right med that suits you best. I feel you should see your doctor again and tell him/her how you are getting on, I know psychiatric tablets take sometime to kick in but if you need help despirately now,whats the sense in sticking to fluoxetine as if it were the only med in the world for depression!! You need to feel better as soon as possible and your doctor should be understanding enough to help you to feel comfortable as soon as possible. I did try fluoxetine some time ago and it did do me good after 2 weeks of use however I had to take clonazepam with it to have optimum results!!

All the very best on you next visit to the doc,
Pink Whistle.

BellaBella88
08-08-13, 07:09
I'm pleased that you are still persevering. I know it's awful and you would do anything to get away from it, but one morning, you will wake up feeling positive and it will be so exciting. That will give you a lot of hope. From then on, it will be up hill and if you blip again, it will be easier remembering that this isn't who you really are.

Don't feel guilty for being depressed. You didn't ask for it and it's not something you can just suddenly get over. Everyone who I've spoken to have told me to stop feeling guilty. You feel that way because of the depression, but everyone else understands that it's not your fault and they will genuinely want to help you get better. It's surprising how many people have experienced or know someone who has experienced a mental disorder.

This isn't really you. It is chemicals in your brain causing you to feel this way. The fluoxetine is making it worse for now, but the fact that it has had this effect is a sign that it is working on your brain already.

Don't ever feel ashamed. Gradually, you will start hearing people tell you how proud they are that you are getting through this. You will get through this. Even though it feels like your exaggerated feelings are genuine, it is really the fluoxetine- it isn't you. The real you is still there, you just need to wait for these side effects to go.

For me, I started finding it a little easier to cope after four weeks and at 7-8 weeks I was feeling happy. It's so amazing when you get to that point. You're like a different person and can't even relate to how you used to be. You may need another increase and should continue with therapy, but you will be overjoyed.

rhpanic
08-08-13, 17:50
Thank you for the responses. Still feeling extremely low but hoping that I won't feel like this forever.
I wish I could stop crying and feeling guilty. I have been trying to distract myself by watching films but still find it hard to concentrate on anything.
I hit an extremely low point when my mum went out earlier and ended up phoning the Samaritans to talk which calmed me down a little.
I just want to be better. It is such a struggle.

Janine
08-08-13, 18:46
Bella is so right it is the fluxotiene working on your brain making you feel so bad, you will feel better but it is hard and seems to take an age to get there but you will and you will be saying on here how much better you feel. If the samaritans helped then that is good, sometimes you need that support and help from someone else. It is a struggle and I never ever want to feel like that again as it is so horrible but it does get better. Just think every day is another day closer to feeling better, try writing down how you feel too.

also have you any meds to help you like diazapan or propanolol, I had both but the propanolol really helped with the side effects and I am still on it for my anxiety, diazapan was something I only took when I was desperate but it does help. xx

rhpanic
09-08-13, 07:20
Have been awake again this morning since 5am panicking so badly. I feel sick and shakey. I just want this to stop, I hate it so much. My mum thinks I need to go back to the doctors again and tell them that I am feeling worse. I am trying to get up and do things but I feel so low that I can't. I can't stop crying and am exhausted. I just don't want to live, I don't see any other way out.

Fras
09-08-13, 12:38
Rhpanic, I have been there myself 7 years ago when I was 20. Puking up in the bathroom before attempting my first day back at work a week into taking citalopram. I didnt want to go, I wanted my mum to notice that I'd been sick and tell me I wasn't ready to go back yet, but she knew that it would be better for me in the long run. I was angry at her for that at that time but she was so right.

Get up and out of bed. You will not faint, vomit, mess yourself, even if you do who the hell cares? Tears are no big deal either. This can all change for you the moment you decide to. Leave the house today. go into the garden. You have to face what makes you anxious, take a deep breath and let it bathe over you. It is unpleasant and will build to a squirming, terrifying crescendo BUT IT WILL PASS. Our bodies cannot panic for ever it is physically impossible. Come on, you can do it, I don't want to read that you've spent all day in bed again, youve a healthy pair of legs there girl, get on em :) you can do it, **** anxiety, you're the boss.

rhpanic
09-08-13, 18:39
Fras, sometimes it's not as simple as just getting out of bed and pushing yourself. If I felt like I was able to do that I would have. Feeling like this isn't black and white and not everyone can just pick themselves up. I have been going for walks but with the support of my mum as I am not strong enough to cope alone.

Fras
09-08-13, 19:44
I know its hard. I was thinking after I wrote that, I forgot to say my doctor gave me a short prescription of oxazepam to tide me over while getting over the ssri hump, so I as much as anyone should know its not black and white sorry. Perhaps you should try that route with ypur gp.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Oh and don't change your Prozac dosage for a good few weeks. your increase to 40 would've shocked your system a bit so give it time to settle, stay positive and maybe get some temporary sedatives from doctor.

MastiffMan
09-08-13, 20:25
rhpanic - Keep it up one moment at a time. It is happening.

rhpanic
14-08-13, 07:14
Every morning has become so bad. I don't want to wake up. I am still crying and feeling so desperate. Staying with my mum has helped as there is always someone here for me but I am terrified of going back to my own home. I feel like I can't be alone or cope on my own. I'm worried that I will just end it all as I'm not strong enough to do this alone. I'm really struggling. It is a constant battle with all of these negative thoughts, I don't feel like a person anymore.

Janine
14-08-13, 22:41
Mornings were really bad for me too, as you feel better they will get easier, let your mum help, as you feel better you will get stronger and will want to go back to your house but for now you need your mum, you will feel well again and these thoughts will go xxx

OncewasSupergirl
14-08-13, 23:12
Rhpanic,

I felt exactly as you described my Mum had to stay with me n my son as I felt I couldn't cope n might end it all. Its not the first time I've felt like that either. But it does get better but it all takes time. Take it day by day. Your thoughts are only powerful because they're fuelled by the anxiety if the physical anxiety wasn't there you would be able to rationalise your thoughts as just thoughts. I've tried lots of antidepressants and I can honestly say none have worked as well for me as Prozac.
Keep plodding on you will see the light someday.
Much Love x x

rhpanic
15-08-13, 19:52
Thank you oncewassupergirl. Had a call from the doctors today as I am still feeling extremely low and suicidal. I told the GP exactly how I am feeling and that today was a particularly low day, couldn't stop thinking about ending it all morning and couldn't move from my bed. The GP said there isn't much else they can offer other than giving the meds another week or so and see how I'm feeling.

I just feel so desperate and alone. I feel like I'm going crazy as I can't concentrate on anything and am still crying all the time.

Could this still be a side effect of the Prozac? Will I ever feel normal again?

Every morning I wake up panicking and feeling sick thinking I can't face another day feeling this way. I feel so guilty I am still not feeling any better.

Janine
15-08-13, 21:11
both Super and I have been through what you are describing and it is a desperate feeling, you can not concentrate on anything and I shed so many tears, I know it does not seem like it but you will start to feel better, what you are suffering is side effects and YES you will feel normal again, I lost count of the times I said that to my husband.

I think another week and you should start to see a difference four to five weeks was very tough for me.

Try not to feel guilty it is not your fault that you are feeling like this and it will not be forever.
xx

rhpanic
16-08-13, 08:11
I just want to give up on all of this. I feel so pathetic. I can't stop crying and feel like I'm crazy. I feel like I'm going to lose everything, I don't want to lose my fiancé he is the most important part of my life. Im so scared.

rhpanic
17-08-13, 07:12
Managed to come home to spend the weekend with my fiancé. Still feeling really low and haven't stopped crying. Still feel like I can't cope and don't want to carry on. Woke up this morning shaking and crying. When will this end?

Janine
17-08-13, 22:42
It will end and every day is a day closer to you feeling better, it is good that you are spending the weekend with you fiance and I am sure he understands that the way you are is just temporoary and that soon you will start to feel you again and then you can enjoy life again. J xx

rhpanic
18-08-13, 08:42
I thought that I couldn't feel any worse but today has been the worst so far. I seriously feel like I can't go on any longer. I'm losing my fiancé and upsetting him and my mum. I can't do this to them. I feel so selfish and pathetic. I can't stop thinking about ending it all. I don't know what to do. I feel so alone.

Janine
18-08-13, 22:49
You are not alone, you are not losing your fiance, he probably just does not know how to help you, I know my husband felt like that when I was really bad, your mum is upset for the same reason as she will want to make you better, just try and hang in there, you will start to turn the corner soon, I know I have asked before but have you not got anything to help like diazapam or propanolol, if not it may be worth having a word with your doctor to get something to help you through. xx

Speranza
19-08-13, 06:50
Hey there, this is NORMAL, it WILL pass.

Show your family this thread...

Please don't give up on yourself.

:bighug1:

rhpanic
20-08-13, 12:29
Thought I had turned a corner yesterday as managed not to cry all day and tried to keep busy with my mum.

I have started to set an alarm and take my fluoxetine at around 3am so it has a chance to kick in before I wake up.

This morning however I feel like I am back to square one. Woke up crying and have had a bad headache for 3 days now. I just can't imagine getting back to normal and not feeling this way. It's taking so long and I'm worried I will lose everything. I think I should maybe go back to the docs again but not sure they will be able to help me. I feel like a prisoner in my own head. I feel so pathetic and ashamed that I can't manage to do the simplest of things. I just don't want to live anymore.

MastiffMan
20-08-13, 17:55
I know how you feel. You need to focus on getting through it one day at a time and if that is too much moment by moment. Perhaps you should talk to your doc and see if they can give you anything for the anxiety just to give you a break. It is an up and down process and feelings of frustration are common. For me when I am in the middle of the bad stuff it never seems like it is going to end. But, it does. Also feelings are not necessarily facts. The symptoms of the anxiety and depression include negative thinking patterns. These pass in time. Hang in there moment by moment. I used to take my fluoxetine at 4 AM then when the SEs dissipated I switched it to bed time.

OncewasSupergirl
20-08-13, 19:00
How many days/weeks are you now lovely? X

rhpanic
20-08-13, 21:14
I am on day 42 (24 days on 20mg and 18 days on 40mg) I'm still feeling so bad :(

Janine
20-08-13, 21:58
I think it is taking a little longer as you are on a higher dose, just hang in there, it is working and the fact that you had a slightly better day yesterday is good and you will get more days like that and better until they outweigh the bad days.

xxx

rhpanic
22-08-13, 09:19
I thought that I would feel better by now. It's so frustrating. I managed to make myself some porridge and tea this morning but that even felt overwhelming. I'm so scared to be alone and feel like I can't cope with the most basic things. I just want to feel normal again. Everytime I wake up I still feel like I don't want to be alive and I don't deserve to be as I am so weak and pathetic.

Janine
22-08-13, 23:10
you are not weak and pathetic, this is very tough to get through, look on the positive you made some porridge and tea it may be little but you did something. you will start to cope again and slowly you will get back to normal although I know it does not feel like it just now.

Hang in there. x

Tara*spotty*paws
24-08-13, 01:21
Thank you. It's bad again this morning. Woke up shaking and panicking and just wanting this all to end. I hope I can get through this, it is just such an empty horrible feeling at the moment. I know I am lucky to have all this support around me to help me pull through. Today's goal was to have a cup of tea and eat some porridge and I have managed that (as stupid and little as it sounds) I may go to the supermarket with my mum later if I'm feeling like I can so again that would be another step forward. A long way to go but I am trying.

Hi there

How are you doing now? Are you feeling a bit better? Have your SE's calmed a little?

I am on my ninth day of taking fluox and I feel exactly how you said above (physically sick, stomach in knots, shakes, anxious, OCD's coming from nowhere, and worst of all, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, the horrid black hole of depression is all too evident)
I felt good on my previous meds, but I was putting on a lot of weight, so decided to try fluox which is weight gain neutral (or with some loss)

I'd love to hear how you are doing :)

From
Tara's mommy

rhpanic
25-08-13, 12:33
Hi there

How are you doing now? Are you feeling a bit better? Have your SE's calmed a little?

I am on my ninth day of taking fluox and I feel exactly how you said above (physically sick, stomach in knots, shakes, anxious, OCD's coming from nowhere, and worst of all, as soon as I open my eyes in the morning, the horrid black hole of depression is all too evident)
I felt good on my previous meds, but I was putting on a lot of weight, so decided to try fluox which is weight gain neutral (or with some loss)

I'd love to hear how you are doing :)

From
Tara's mommy

Hi Tara's mommy,

Unfortunately I am still not feeling much better and still struggling along.
I only feel that I have experienced the side effects and not much else. I will be going to see my mums GP next week for a review as I think the fluoxetine should have started to kick in by now (I've been on them now for 6 weeks and 4 days) I've found it quite helpful to keep an honest diary on how I feel each day so you can look back and see if there is any improvement.

I hope you get on with them ok, from reading the forums fluoxetine does seem to help the majority of people just possibly not the right AD for me :(

R x

OncewasSupergirl
25-08-13, 17:56
Rhpanic,
I can honestly say I didn't feel like I was on the right path until 10-12 weeks so 6 weeks is nothing in my opinion. I would hang on until 12 weeks to see an improvement or I fear you maybe starting back to square one with a new med when fluox might of worked for you :) x x

cokesmyth5
25-08-13, 18:00
I really feel for you. Could you go to your mum's GP practice as an emergency or temp patient and ask about having something to help you until the anti dep starts to work? When you feel so awful, I know time passes so slowly.
You'll get there

rhpanic
27-08-13, 07:51
I will try and hang on until the 12 week point and go to my mums GP to see whether they can give me something to help whilst the AD is kicking in. I am so worried about people expecting me to feel better by now but I don't. I just don't know how to cope with anything at the moment. I still can't stop bursting into tears all the time as the anxiety and panic builds up. I can't imagine ever coping on my own, it fills me with dread. I feel so pathetic for a 26 year old.

OncewasSupergirl
27-08-13, 18:57
Ask your Mums GP for a benzodiazepine such as diazepam it will take the edge off the feelings temporarily. I've been where you are n I think there is no worse feeling in the world, but trust me you will feel better in time whether its on fluox or another AD. You will cope on your own n your not pathetic. I've got 10 years on you n its the 3rd time I've had a really bad anxious/depressive phase but it always gets better. There is no miracle cure unfortunately, I find the fluox helps me keep my anxiety in proportion better than any other AD I've tried. I'm sure no-one expects you to be well after 6 weeks, therapeutic affect is apparently achieved at 10-12 weeks that's why I'd say hang on till then. Explain that to people if you want. Do you read books? Do you know why your anxious? You need to take some pressure of yourself by not expecting to wake up one day completely well, it will happen in time. X x

rhpanic
28-08-13, 11:09
I will ask my mums GP for something to help me whilst the fluoxetine is trying to work. I think it was losing my job and my fiancé having to work away for a while. I just feel like a complete failure and that I'm going to lose everything. I still can't manage to get up everyday and do normal things. I'm still crying and feel so stupid. I'm scared I will never feel normal again and everyone will just think I'm lazy and not trying to get better. My head is all over the place and I can't concentrate on anything. I do read books but finding it hard to concentrate on anything at the moment. I'm worried that this is all my fault and I'm making it worse by not trying hard enough to get better.

R x

MrAndy
28-08-13, 11:32
I will ask my mums GP for something to help me whilst the fluoxetine is trying to work. I think it was losing my job and my fiancé having to work away for a while. I just feel like a complete failure and that I'm going to lose everything. I still can't manage to get up everyday and do normal things. I'm still crying and feel so stupid. I'm scared I will never feel normal again and everyone will just think I'm lazy and not trying to get better. My head is all over the place and I can't concentrate on anything. I do read books but finding it hard to concentrate on anything at the moment. I'm worried that this is all my fault and I'm making it worse by not trying hard enough to get better.

R x
stop being so hard on yourself nobody is a failure with this illness,you will get better but it will take time with strength and courage.I was submitted to hospital in February and thought the world was ending but now back at work and almost anxiety free.
If I can do it so can you,just look after yourself

rhpanic
29-08-13, 08:15
Thank you for all of your kind words. It is always the mornings that are the absolute worst for me right now. I know it's going to take time to recover, it's just so hard trying to cope with these feelings. Hopefully the fluoxetine will begin to work and I will gradually start to feel ok again. It's so hard to explain to people how I feel. I used to be so confident and sure of myself, now I'm just a shell and scared of everything.

MastiffMan
30-08-13, 11:58
Rhpanic-from the tenor of your recent posts you seem to be growing stronger. Sometimes in the middle of our own battles we do not see the progress we have made. It will continue to turn around for you. You will continue to grow stronger through this process.

amaryllis_celladine
30-08-13, 15:04
Hi. I've been on fluoxetine for ten years. It has been wonderful for my depression. Drugs work differently for everyone, but if you give it enough time and it does start to work for you, it really is worth it.

rhpanic
01-09-13, 09:30
I hope that the fluoxetine begins to kick in soon. Mornings are the worst at the moment. It's just the sense of failure and not wanting to be alive when I wake every morning. I know it's the depression making me feel like that. I don't know how much longer I can take this feeling. I have been on fluoxetine for 7 weeks and 4 days now and still don't feel strong enough to go home and try to find a job. I know I'm putting a lot of pressure on my mum but I'm so scared to be alone. Sleeping on her sofa is not ideal. Should it be taking this long for me to feel any improvement?

rhpanic
03-09-13, 10:00
Still feeling so so low. Every day is a struggle, I don't want to wake up. I haven't got up properly for ages, I'm just lying in bed or trying to sleep as I can't face being awake. I don't want to eat or do anything. I feel like I've ruined my whole life and will never get back to normal again. I feel so pathetic and weak. I'm sure everyone will think I'm lazy but I have tried and I can't push myself to feel better. I thought that the fluoxetine would be working by now. I'm in such a mess. I'm lucky that I can stay here with my mum but I can't do that forever, I have a house and bills to worry about and it's just all too much. I can't even contemplate a job. I have panic attacks when driving as I don't feel I'm good enough. My fiancé is working away at the moment and I miss him so much but I'm so scared that when he is back I won't be better and I'm going to lose him because of all of this. I don't want to feel like I can't cope anymore, I feel so alone and stupid.

Overbeinganxsty
04-09-13, 05:57
:( I've previously had great success on fluoxetine . After a few years off it I have been on it again 2 weeks. I was a total nervous wreck the first week then my gp dropped my dose and I felt much better. I have also done some research in to other physical things around panic. I'm taking iron supplement with vit c, vitamin b complex and omega 3s to support my body too. Rescue remedy also has been a great help to me even if its just the placebo effect lol

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

Also certain types of oral contraceptive pill seem pretty notorious for causing panic and anxiety if you google people's experiences. I don't know if you take one or not

rhpanic
05-09-13, 15:33
Visited my mums GP yesterday and she decided that the fluoxetine was not working for me so I am on the road to changing to a new AD, 75mg daily of venlaflaxine. I will be starting my first 37.5mg tomorrow morning so hopefully this will work for me and I will begin to feel better soon. The GP also gave me a pack of diazepam to take when I have a really bad anxiety attack (which seems to be all the time at the moment) hopefully I can get through this.

xvolatileheart
11-09-13, 22:40
I really hope your new medication is working for you. :hugs: