PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack in my sleep last night

glen hunt
01-08-13, 15:06
I woke up at around 2 or 4 am with really bad chest pains. Could not sleep after this. I went to the doctors and got a check up and was told I was physically fine. That it was a panic attack in my sleep. Seems I may have been having them for some time since I started this new job. Been going to sleep quite early but till really tired when I get up for work.

So, not sure how to combat having panic attacks in my sleep. I have gotten the hang of dealing with them whilst awake.

My folks want me to go to A&E but I'm not sure what they can do? The Dr suggested nothing for me to do or take, so feeling a little lost.

glen hunt
01-08-13, 20:07
Am I the only one who has had this happen to them ?

Barnabas75
01-08-13, 20:16
Hi Glen, I have had panic attacks in my sleep.They are terrible.The 3rd time it happened I called an ambo and went to the hospital at 4am.I never got chest pain I just woke up with my fists clenched and weak with all the muscles in my arm tense.After that I had a major anxiety attack with my mouth and tongue going dry.I also felt I could not breathe then or get a full breath.My chest got very tight but besides that I did not have chest pains.When they checked me at the hospital my BP and pulse were normal.So its weird.Fortunately I have medication to help me sleep now because it was so traumatic and the anticipatory anxiety got very bad also.Before I took medication I did not sleep for nearly 3 weeks.I hope you dont have another one and that it was just a one off event.I had a few medical tests done to rule out anything else which Doc should do also.Good luck with it.Its not easy but you are not alone and hopefully you can beat it someway.

pickycricky
02-08-13, 01:12
I hadn't had pa in my sleep until recently....that I remember anyway. I think it's also been because of the stress at work. I don't think there really is a way to not have them in your sleep other than trying to relax prior to going to sleep. I don't know if you are on meds for when you feel anxious but I would take it before bed if you are. If not...try some warm milk or some relaxation music. I think the key to not waking up in a panic is to not go to sleep stressed or worrying about the day. That's what I've been doing. Also when you do wake up...even if you're not in a full blown panic...try to calm yourself the way you do when you have them when you're awake....even if you aren't really good at it yet! Good luck!

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Also I would wait until you are completely exhausted to go to bed. I would be tired and would want to go to bed early but you need to wait until at least your normal time but probably even later! That helped me!

Mnisilochos
02-08-13, 08:30
Nope, you are not! :) I posted a thread about anxiety during sleep some time ago and there were people who suffer from anxiety during sleep that wrote to me. I have been having this problem for more than two years.

ankietyjoe
02-08-13, 11:47
Yeah I get this regularly too. The way I deal with it is to just think about something else as soon as I wake up (which can be 3-4 times a night if it's bad) and just breath deeply to relax. It's just like dealing with any other panic attack.

Alex31
03-08-13, 01:49
I have had panic attacks solidly for a week or so every night. I can not sleep, then when I do I will wake up panicking. It is horrible and I really do hope it stops as the nightly panic and sleep deprivation is driving me really bonkers!

cymraig_chris
03-08-13, 10:08
Sleep panic is very normal. It's not dangerous in any way. It's ok to wake up in a panic.

glen hunt
03-08-13, 11:23
Good to know I am not alone with this. Thanks.